Author Topic: What exactly did the Horizon League see in Oakland  (Read 6320 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
What exactly did the Horizon League see in Oakland
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Their coach is apparently as big of a dick as their star player

@PaulKampe  11m
About getting to return to campus tonight, @KampeOU says on radio: "I can't imagine five days in Youngstown (Ohio)." #HLMBB

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly did the Horizon League see in Oakland
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
Wish we had more players like Bader. It's called confidence

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
Isn't oakland a suburb of detroit the dunghole of the country? 

Lets_Talk

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
Is this thread serious? I would not want to spend 5 days in Youngstown either, which is one reason I moved far far away from that sh*thole of a city.

And, as far as dungholes go, Youngstown is definitely near the top of the list. Yes, so is Detroit, but Ytown in many ways is just a smaller version of Detroit. Also, Oakland is not in Detroit, and from what I understand, the suburbs and ex-burbs in the Detroit area are quite nice.

It could easily be asked what the HL saw/sees in YSU, given that YSU does not add much to the league in the top sport of men's basketball. Womens basketball has had only 1 winning season in the HL since joining. Well, I guess we can make that 2, since the team is 9-5 which guarantees a winning record in the HL for this year. I'm limiting this to only basketball, since the hatred for Oakland seems to be toward their team and coach. I do not understand why YSU fans see Bader as being a jerk? The kid can play, and he knows it. He has confidence.

As for the coach, well, he is able to get his teams to play at a high level. Oakland moved to D1 in 96-97 and have played in the NCAA Tournament 3 times,the last appearance in the 10-11 season . YSU has NEVER played in tourney as D1 program. They have also been in the CIT 3 times. YSU played in the CIT last year, the first post-season tourney since moving to D1 in 81-82. And, when it comes to OOC schedules, Oakland will play any team at any site. I'd much rather see YSU play an OOC schedule like Oakland does/did than use the YSU model. Yes, YSU has a better overall record than Oakland, but lost both games played against Oakland this year. YSU also played a much easier schedule than Oakland. What good did it do YSU to go 9-6 in the regular season, only to then finish 6-10 and 7th place in the HL, and 15-16 overall?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:28:27 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
Oakland has 10 D1 wins vs. YSUs 12 D1 wins......... The issue is you take away Oaklands wins against YSU and now they have 8...... What does that say for YSU?  Our roster isnt built for a 30 game season and thats on the coach....

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »
This season went south once Webber had his nose broke, and Keane got suspended indefinitely.  The timeing is amazing.  As soon as the calendar hit Feb.   Amazing what that month does to our team.  Oh! and again coach did not sign any legit big men.  Wonder if that has anything to do with other team's players constant getting easy put backs.  Hain can't do it all by himself inside, and our constant reliance on three-point shooting.  Just saying!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:29:23 AM »
3rd rate athletic dept.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
Isn't oakland a suburb of detroit the dunghole of the country?

Actually, Oakland U is in a nice area. I used to travel to that area regularly visiting Chrysler's Technical Center (CTC) which is right next to Oakland U. They are in Auburn Hills which is where the Detroit Pistons of NBA played their home games. They are about 25 miles outside downtown Detroit.

Offline arsenal926

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »
Their coach is apparently as big of a dick as their star player

@PaulKampe  11m
About getting to return to campus tonight, @KampeOU says on radio: "I can't imagine five days in Youngstown (Ohio)." #HLMBB

Oakland fan here, but honestly interested to hear how somebody could think Bader is a dick? Truthfully, him and Kendrick Perry seem very similar. Under-rated players who have had tremendous success on the court and in the classroom. As far as Kampe's quote, I highly doubt it had anything to do with the city of youngstown, and everything to do with getting to play a home game and not having the players miss 3 days of school

And as far as what the Horizon league saw in Oakland? OU would have been in the Horizon league until Detroit used their right to veto our move. YSU was at minimum the league's 2nd choice, so you might want to rethink the title of this post. 3 NCAA tournaments in the last 9 years doesn't hurt either.

I'm sure most of the Penguin fans aren't happy with the outcome of their games against Oakland, but it's hard to argue that 87-81 and 86-85 games is bad for the league.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:20:14 AM by arsenal926 »