Author Topic: The Tressel Movement  (Read 57057 times)

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Tressel Movement
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2014, 11:28:10 PM »
Breaking News!  This might be BIG!

Three unions on campus, INCLUDING the faculty, have just endorse Tressel for president.  On Monday, Tressel stated that the faculty would be a crucial determinant if by some chance both schools selected him. Well....!

Breaking News......!!!!

Unions get something right for change.. ;D ;D ;)

ValleyTalk

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2014, 07:18:34 AM »

Three unions on campus, INCLUDING the faculty, have just endorse Tressel for president.  On Monday, Tressel stated that the faculty would be a crucial determinant if by some chance both schools selected him. Well....!

Breaking News......!!!!

Unions get something right for change.. ;D ;D ;)
I am as stunned as you. Business Journal saying this morning YSU could make a decision very quickly in favor of Tressel.

Never thought unions would support Tressel.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »

Breaking News......!!!!

Actually, the endorsement was by the union presidents and not the unions. I have seen the press release. Vindy either got it wrong or tried to sensationalized the story.
As I have indicated before, I did not observe any strong supports or objections from the faculty members. I still maintain that the faculty members are somewhat neutral.
I watched all three presentations. It is clear to me that all three candidates stressed cost cutting to satisfy the BOT.
However, Tressel was only one spoke about how budget could be balanced via cost control and revenue enhancement. IMO, revenue enhancement includes increase enrollment, student retention, funding raising, research grants, tuition & fees.

As a former engineering manager of a large automaker, I can speak with my past experience. We stressed cost cutting to the point that we all used to say among our ranks that it would cut us from existence. We reduced researching, product development, and product safety margins. We also knew that, I as a result, we would have quality problems within 5-10 years.

It eventually happened. The company went bankrupt and in the last 6 months, it initiated the largest recall in the company's history.

I hope YSU does not go down that path. YSU has been reducing critical classes to a point where many students had to wait another year in order to take that class. As a result, since they could not graduate in a reasonable time, they dropped out and transferred to other colleges.

Since this is a website for YSU sports, I will not post this in the future. I posted it because of the Tressel issue and what/how he might impact the YSU sports in case he became the president of this university.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »
I was mistaken. Vindy got it right in today's newspaper that union chiefs back Tressel. Sorry, Vindy. I think some of the TV stations got in wrong last night.

kforbs126

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
The Unions obviously see his potential ability to bring in money which is what they need.  More money for the school, more classes, more students, maybe a pay increase, etc. 

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
WOW! They pick Toledo Provost Dr. Scarborough!

Come on down Jim Tressel!

kforbs126

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Yeah just barely saw that.  The feed was awful!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »
So why did our trustees spend all morning debating without a resolution?  Does this not fall into the category of "no brainer?"  The only valid reason for bypassing Tressel was monumental opposition from the faculty.  Obviously that did not happen.  If these people pick one of the nonentities instead, two things will happen.

First, we will experience another round of labor chaos as the unions, rightly or wrongly, will believe that Tressel would have met them half-way and that the trustees snubbed Tressel because they wanted an anti-union tool.  Second,  good luck getting anything out of the "money crowd" who pushed Tressel's candidacy in the first place.  Trustees, get off your butts and follow the mandate of this community!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
It all adds up. C'mon down interstate 76 Jim.

kforbs126

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
So I just read the vindy article that the board came out with no decision and doesn't know what to do next.  Really?  I guess they don't want Tressel to be the next Prez?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
The lawyers might be negotiating the contract as we speak. Now that Akron has picked their president, there is not a great urgency for YSU to move fast. BOT might be discussing the contract agreement at tomorrow morning's meeting setting the stage for the 6 pm announcement.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »
So I just read the vindy article that the board came out with no decision and doesn't know what to do next.  Really?  I guess they don't want Tressel to be the next Prez?
Tressel will be announced YSU President tomorrow morning. ---- Per multiple sources I know.

3:45pm announcement by YSU of an emergency meeting tomorrow was dead giveaway.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
He was offered the job and he accepted according to sources. Announcement tomorrow

kforbs126

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
They made the announcement this morning.  I for one am happy about it.  This can only help YSU.