Author Topic: Thoughts on recruiting class  (Read 13591 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Thoughts on recruiting class
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
Mayor. You two made a very good choice to stay away from UMass. They are at a point where they will throw everything but the kitchen sink on the field and lose many players. Ricky would be looking to transfer right now ...instead of looking to grab the starting spot. Two years of eligibility lost. Along with a prime opportunity to take the helm of a 4-time national champion while holding 4-years of eligibility if it does not come for a season or 2.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »
Yeah, as I said we are very pleased and so is Ricky. How did UMass finish this past year, I didn't follow them?

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
mayor

I saw film on Ricky when he was recruited last year. The film from Fenwick showed him running and throwing. Hes a good athlete.Here his play has been limited to practices because he was red-shirted and didn't make it into games. Am aware of his arm reputation, but when I've been around, I haven't seen it. Practice was confined to shorter routes and quick passes, so I haven't seen him try to air it out.  Practice isn't always a predictor  of one's fortunes on the field. I like what I see of Rick and expect he probably can play here. I'm not one to ignore physical abilities but this level demands that a player have his head in the game to really be successful. Mentally is where most players are separated from being average to being great as many are similar in physical abilities. That's the unknown right now with all the QBs here. His ability is as good as anyone here. Staying healthy and having the  good head will determine how far he goes.

Glad he likes  YSU.  Get the degree. Football is nice but the degree is the payoff.

Former H.S. Head coach here and had two sons go thru the recruiting process too, so I know most of the drills. I don't pull any punches here, don't have to keep anyone happy, so I'll give an honest opinion. Good luck to him as we need a QB bad for next year. And welcome to the board.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:41:51 PM by paladin »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
Yes mayor, welcome.  I am pleased that Ricky is happy, and I am eager to see him in action this spring.  Glad that you avoided Kent and Akron as both programs are afterthoughts in their communities with little following and less media coverage.  We complain a lot here when things go wrong, but that is a sign of our interest and passion.

One thing you must know about your new friend, Paladin.  If Ricky can throw a football 76 yards, he will criticize him for failing to toss it 80 ::).

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »
Yeah, as I said we are very pleased and so is Ricky. How did UMass finish this past year, I didn't follow them?

1-11 for the second straight year. They just hired back Mark Whipple as head coach. Team has been going nowhere.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
Welcome to the board Mayor.... I think it's down to Ricky and Tanner for the starting job. Dante just isn't big enough and is more of a runner than a passer, and we all know how well that worked out against NDSU.... Looking forward to see the competition this spring and fall!

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
Thank all of you for the welcome. I look forward to enjoying many years of great YSU football with all of you.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »
Welcome to the board mayor. Unless we get a transfer, I think Davis will ultimately get the nod after a fierce competition with the others, including Hunter Wells who will compete for the job as well.

Last week Wolford went on record stating he is working on an offense that uses 6 running backs. I have no clue what he is developing, but it leads me to believe we will be running it considerably more next year, which is fine by me.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
I hope your son is the next greatest QB at YSU.  With that being said, most first year QB'S do note fare well in our conference.  We play in the SEC of the FCS.  Most of the teams can push MAC teams around.  We used to be one of those teams but we need some better line and lb play to get there.  The odds of competing for a conference title the first year are low.  we have a highly educated fan base that knows alot about football. 

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
I agree with the previous poster who stated that the number of O-line recruits was surprisingly high.

I always assumed that was well taken care of given Wolf's history and the number of guys we've been getting.
A bit surprising and disappointing we're looking to shore up there. Then again, maybe he's the kid in the candy store stocking up on what he likes.

I'd rather see a few of those offers go to D-tackles. If you sat thru the last 2 home games with me I don't need to say why.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
You can nevet have enough lineman.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
You can nevet have enough lineman.

I agree. Here is a look at the Qb's running the 40 in practice today. Ricky and Dante in front with Garry and Wargo at the top of the screen. https://twitter.com/YSURickyDavis/status/436906623240769536

ValleyTalk

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
JUCO:
@Reasley3: Truly blessed to say I'll be attending Youngstown state next year for football. It's been my dream to play D1 but it doesn't stop here. 🏈🙏

http://t.co/QWMoWtVkIN
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:30:28 PM by ValleyTalk »