Author Topic: Thoughts on recruiting class  (Read 13589 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Thoughts on recruiting class
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »
I like the secondary guys we brought in. Will add some depth, some may play a little in nickel and special teams. I expect all the O-Lineman to redshirt except LJ Mosley, who I could see starting at guard. I like the talent at RB, especially since Bellamy and Pace are gone. Lots of speed and athleticism. I also see potential in the LB's, if they redshirt a year and develop could be solid pickups, very athletic. I'm fine with only 1 DL (Rankin) who could challenge for playing time right away. You have to keep in mind we only graduated two DL (Sirl, Moss)..... Kromah, Zaborsky, Octavius, Rivers and Coleman are all back next year. Also have 300+ pounds DT Ricky Hagood who redshirted last year. I expect big things from Rivers if he adds weight and muscle. Overall, I would give the class a B-. Not flashy, but adds depth and needs we had to have.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on recruiting class
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
Can we expect some of these OL to play DL? 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »
For my own knowledge, would someone explain: with the rumor that there may very well be one more coaching change, how will that affect the commitments of the recruiting class if indeed that takes place?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »
For my own knowledge, would someone explain: with the rumor that there may very well be one more coaching change, how will that affect the commitments of the recruiting class if indeed that takes place?

Don't think it's gonna change anything. Tresey is the only name being thrown around as leaving.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
Scarlet, I'm not sure that I understand your question. These kids have signed their letters of intent.  The commitment is to the school, not a set of coaches.  Any further coaching changes would not impact anything.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
Wick
For some reason I was thinking that a coaching change after LOI would allow the student to back out of his commitment.  Maybe that is just if it is the head coach or possibly I am not remembering correctly. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »
Scarlet,

Head coach or assistant, it does not matter.  After a recruit signs, he is committed to the school for the next academic year.  If he changes his mind and attends another school, he cannot play or receive a scholarship for that one year period.  The only exception is if the AD releases him from his obligation.  That happens occasionally, often after a coaching change.  It happened to us in women's basketball last year when one of Boldon's recruits wanted to follow him to OU.  Strollo granted the release.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
The class is a mixed bag. Some good ones, some problematic and some just outright stretches. Moore, Sandidge and Washington are all solid  RBs. Costy is a solid OL. JUCO  Mosley should start on the OL . Rankin looks to be the real deal at DE. Lots of others should contribute but maybe not right away. I don't see Wells playing QB here, Jefferies is a stretch from  a H.S. TE to  a college OL ( project) and Louigene hasn't played much and is another project. Overall this class is average and not as good as some other classes Wolf brought in. No DT which the team  needs badly  ( the returning starters weren't very good last year). Grade -- C

Haven't looked yet but would bet $$$$$$$$$$$$ we won't stand up to the other teams in the MVFC recruiting classes this year. YSU has had the #1 recruit class for a couple of years but will drop with this class.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
I just can not believe that Wofford is willing to go into next season with the same defensive linemen that were overwhelmed by the better teams in our league.  Let's all remember that there is one more phase to recruiting season---when FBS players transfer after spring practice.  Snare two defensive tackles then and this recruiting class takes on a different character.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
I like that Rivers kid at DE if he can get stronger but we do need some beef in the middle. Need some 300+ pounders in there to clog up space.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
I'm into reviewing the MVFC teams recruiting. At first glance , Juco  and transfer recruiting is down this year across the board. Really dropped off by numbers. Have looked at the top teams and its UNI for the top class, IMO. I'll call SDSU second and then a mad scramble between NDS, USD, MSU and YSU for 3rd. SIU isn't bad. WIU & INS is embarrassing. ILS is average.  Some really jump out at you -- UNI has a TE ( Williams, I believe) that looks all league already, USD has a Juco DE from Calif who looks all league and several QBs from some of the teams look like the real deal. None of the transfers looks like stars.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:27:29 PM by paladin »

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
The class is a mixed bag. Some good ones, some problematic and some just outright stretches. Moore, Sandidge and Washington are all solid  RBs. Costy is a solid OL. JUCO  Mosley should start on the OL . Rankin looks to be the real deal at DE. Lots of others should contribute but maybe not right away. I don't see Wells playing QB here, Jefferies is a stretch from  a H.S. TE to  a college OL ( project) and Louigene hasn't played much and is another project. Overall this class is average and not as good as some other classes Wolf brought in. No DT which the team  needs badly  ( the returning starters weren't very good last year). Grade -- C

Haven't looked yet but would bet $$$$$$$$$$$$ we won't stand up to the other teams in the MVFC recruiting classes this year. YSU has had the #1 recruit class for a couple of years but will drop with this class.

Paladin, you seem to be a straight shooter so I am going to ask you for a favor. What is your thoughts on Freshman QB Ricky Davis? He is my son and I am all the way down here in Middletown, haven't seen any practices, workouts or anything else. I need you to be my eyes. In the next few months, if you would, let me know how he is doing? I would appreciate it.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »
mayor

I don't get out as much as I used to. What I have seen of Ricky I would place  him in the Top 2. He has some talent, but was limited in actual playing time in H.S. and dropped down  in competition with the transfer to Fenwick from Moeller. I thought  he needed to get stronger when he came in and as a Frosh had to make the adjustments to every thing being faster at this level. At the top of the list , since he has some physical tools , it will be   how well he makes decisions under the rush. Can he scramble?  Will he make good decisions and not throw into coverage or worse be pressured into throwing it up for  grabs  ?   YSU had a 4 year starter at QB, Hess, who knew  the system well but played with in the confines of his ability  -- a system QB. How well a new OL protects the QB will go a long way in determining if they have to change the O to fit his talents ( as well as the rest of the QBs here now). I suspect no one is ready with the abilities to replace the QB Hess    and it will be interesting to see what they change in the O. For most of the past few years they have been a QB dominated O limited to lots of  passing with a good run game to mix it up, but thrown way more than the program ever has in the past. I don't see that continuing and YSU should fall back into a run dominated O which could take the pressure off the QB to depend on him to dominate. I'm also not sure if Ricky has the speed at this level to run much as a dual threat QB ( and if his body can take the pounding) and his arm needs strengthening  as well as  how well he stands in the pocket or if need be, throws on the run.  Spring ball should help to show what the QBs can do and what YSU will concentrate on. To be fair, there will little game experience here at  YSU with the returning QBs, the job will be wide open, I judge the talent to be average at best , injuries may play a factor and how the OC perceives his talent  to be used ( and how he uses it) will help determine what happens here next year. They have lots of good RBs and a host of talented WRs/TEs. OL and QBs are the question marks.

If it sounds like I'm fudging, I am.  8)

He should compete. We'll see what happens.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »
Paladin ...these are very common items you mention ...could easily apply to everyone ...including a 4-year starter in Hess. You always seem to look for Big-6 players on a I-AA team ...which is why you are never happy.

Mayor (if you are  Mr. Davis) the truth is we have had limited visibility of him. In college that is usually a good thing in the first year, as a coach tries to keep focus off of him while he learns and scouts. Players see the "writing on the wall" in year 1 and know if it is worth "hanging around". Obviously the coaches have seen something in Ricky & coach Montgomery is the top offensive guy in the I-AA/FCS ranks, Probably better the majority of IA/FBS ranks as well.

Obviously every QB has to get bigger, stronger and faster. FYI Hess was not our biggest, strongest, or fastest QB ...but he was our smartest and the best combination of all 4 attributes. By then coach M had molded an offense around Hess to the point where Peyton Manning would have been wearing a headset for YSU.

I went to many practices last year & all games last year. I can say with confidence that that Tanner Garry and Ricky Davis are the two tops in the returning QBs. Tanner did not show his ability during practice while Davis and Wargo did. However, you could tell he (Tanner) had some ability and he was excellent in game situations as mop-up. Wargo is very smart and Nania has the best arm and has improved with his intangibles; but enough to start?? I do not see any HS QB walking in and starting, if so it is another long season for Penguin fans ...but it is possible. I am the kind of person that does not like to see frosh and sophs starting. Ideally I like everyone at juniors to be a #2 and seniors to be a #1. It does not work out that way many times, Wolf seems to get caught up in skill players (like your son) while talented and deep fundamental teams win the conference. We all know the winner of the MVFC will be to top team in the nation. However Wolf's lack of attention to line depth will make QB's lives miserable ...at least for first-year guys.

As to the rest of the class ...some really great picks again form Wolf, but we have no pattern. Why only 2 DL players and one is moving to offense? Why 3 more RB's when we red-shirted 3 frosh last year (need I point out we have 2 sophs and junior?)  There needs to be 11 starters (yes starters) at o and d down-line positions. Losses in the trenches need to be handled seamlessly. Again I see elements of good recruiting, but no "team" being gathered.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:14:03 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
Paladin, I appreciate your honesty and I hope you are pleasantly surprised after seeing more of Ricky. He loves Youngstown State and his teammates.

I would like to give you some background on Ricky if that's ok. Ricky had 3 D1 offers before he transferred from Moeller. He got his offer to Bowling Green his sophomore year which was too early to commit. Akron and Kent State offered during his Junior year while at Moeller. Tennessee had him come down twice, which was pretty cool, but that didn't work out. Toledo kept telling him his entire Senior year not to commit anywhere, that they were going to offer, but when things got tight and kids started jumping as their schools got other commits, Toledo got who they really wanted and Ricky was out there also. Youngstown offered and we took the trip and he loved it. After he committed to YSU, UMass came in and offered him. He wouldn't change his commitment because he gave his word. UMass actually sent a NLI on signing day (which I still have), hoping he would change his mind. He is very happy where he is, as are his parents. Everything happens for a reason.

The only thing you said that I will argue with you about is arm strength. He has always had a strong arm. If you know anyone on the team, ask them about Thursday's 7 on 7 practice in the Watts. During a little competition in front of the whole team he threw the ball 76 yards in the air. I have seen him throw it 70 yards (HS ball) myself. I'm telling you all this stuff hoping you will give him a chance, he is a good kid. If you haven't seen his Senior year film here is the link  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0US1amApw
And just because he didn't start at Moeller doesn't mean he didn't have a good year against top competition. Here is that link  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNaZbubHlao
Go Penguins!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:54:03 PM by mayor »