Author Topic: YSU is still playing basketball  (Read 4076 times)

Lets_Talk

YSU is still playing basketball
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
I understand alot of people are excited about NOI signing day. But, we are also in the heart of the basketball season.

For the women(6-1), they just lost their 1st HL game, and play next at 2nd place Wright State(5-2). A loss, and YSU falls into a tie for first with WSU, and possibly GB(5-2). A win gives YSU a 2 game lead over WSU, and 1 game ahead of GB, whom YSU already beat this year at home. YSU then finishes the road trip at Oakland(3-4), a team YSU beat earlier in the season.

For the men, their hopes of finishing in 2nd place could be helped greatly with a win on Wednesday at Wright State. Even at 4-4, YSU is still only 1 game behind Valpo and CSU in loss column. A loss will greatly damage YSU's hopes of a 2nd place finish. It would drop YSU 2 games behind Valpo and CSU in the loss column, and YSU syill has to play at both Valpo and CSU. YSU finishes the 3 game road trip on Sunday at Detroit(3-6). Detroit is having a down year, but this is a road game, and UD does have wins against WSU at home, and at Milwaukee. They also have a few decent OOC wins(at USF, at JMU, Rhode Island at home)

So, while this is a big week for the football program, it is equally as big, if not bigger for BOTH the mens and womens basketball teams.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU is still playing basketball
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »
Not being able to go to games due to travel time for me really puts me out of the loop on other YSU sports.  Thanks for keeping me updated through this site.  GO GUINS!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
Yep, some big games coming up.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
Tomorrow nights dbl header, being no exception.  Geez would it be great for a dbl header win.

GO PENGUINS

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
Tomorrow nights dbl header, being no exception.  Geez would it be great for a dbl header win.

GO PENGUINS
It is a day-night DH. Women at noon, men at 7. Odd times. Would be nice to market the YSU W and M in a night DH though.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
ValleyTalk,

I totally agree with you on a DH at home. I no longer live in Ytown area, so going to games is not possible. With that being said, one thing I dislike about the HL is the lack of double-headers. I really liked when YSU was in the OVC and Mid-Con, and pretty much all(if not all) conference games were double headers. And, when YSU was an Independent, they athletic department still seemed to try and schedule as many DH's as possible.

In my opinion, it makes alot of sense. People who really, really like basketball and have the time available, can go to both games. Those who are unable to get to the start of the first game(which is usually the womens game) can at least possibly make it for all or most of the 2nd half. This helps create more of a buzz during the second half of the womens game, and it also helps to build up energy for the mens game.

Womens games get much better attendance with the DH's, and I think the same is true of the men's game. Might be a case of my memory telling me the DH's were better attended than they actually were, but I know I like DH's much better than single games. Another pet peeve of mine with scheduling is the 2pm games on Saturday. This is not the ACC, Big East, Big Ten...etc. That is a terrible time to start a basketball game, unless it is being done because of the game being on tv. And, I do not mean ESPN3.

Also used to love the old "midnight madness" games on Friday nights when YSU played in the OVC. I'm not sure what year it was, but I remember YSU playing CSU at home in like 08 or 09 and the game started at either 9 or 10pm. Might have even been 11. I remember the crowd was over 6,000 people. I think the game may have been on ESPNU, but not sure? Just remember being there, and the atmosphere being amazing, and the crowd definately playing a role in helping YSU win that game.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:29:56 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:41 PM »
Ladies game on Horizon (computer).  Mens on ESPN 3.