Author Topic: Local Football Recruiting!!!  (Read 11265 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Local Football Recruiting!!!
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »
I know we have a recruiting thread.  But are we recruiting the local guys anymore?  I heard we hardly step foot at Warren Harding etc.  Thoughts? Any news or good rumors?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Local Football Recruiting!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
Go - obviously I am not local and not hearing of where local kids are going.

If we are losing kids to other FCS teams, it is a concern.  Hard to outrecruit the MAC these days, although it would be nice to get a few.

Are we losing kids that we should be in on?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
Talent isn't as good locally as years past. Couple studs here and there....

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »
We are not losing second tier talent to the MAC or to other FCS programs.  That second tier talent seems to have evaporated in the Valley in recent years.  As 05 stated, we still crank out some studs but little talent depth. This is sort of a symbol.  The Vindicator named as their male high school athlete of the fall a running back/defensive back from Mooney.  The kid then promptly announced in the article that he was not going to play college football.  Sort of says it all.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I know this is difficult for many to understand, but the Valley isn't what it used to be and hasn't been for quite some time. There is still some top talent, but even that is down in numbers and quality. The Valley has and still produces a bumper crop of D-III and some D-II. However the narrow strip of FCS ( or I-AA if you wish) has produced little for several years. I've tried to tell people this for some time but many take it as being "negative".

It is what it is. Still far too many think a local star is "right" for this talent level. If no one else is recruiting them ( in an over-recruited area thoroughly looked at by coaches) , why should YSU ?  Hard enough to win with out taking on substandard talent. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
There are probably many contributing factors as to why the talent pool is lower.  Two that I can think of are:

#1 steady population decline in thee Mahoning Valley- the less people you have the lower the probability you will have some of those exceptional athletes.

#2. The wussification oif America. I think there are less kids playing football these days. Parents are hesitant to allow their kids to play because of injury. Years ago playing football-thats what you did. I can only remember a few kids that didn't play HS football from my class-everybody else did.

I am sure there are other reasons, but those are two big hitters there to me.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
Is signing day this week?  Never in the modern history of the program has there been so little interest.  If not for the exemplary work put in by Indy and 0505, we would have heard virtually nothing.  Wolford and Strollo should be very, very worried about the apathy.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
Wick -yes it is. Wednesday.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
Reason #4...kids want to leave home area.  That too, is no longer like it used to was.

Thanks to those keeping the facts posted.  Miss IP, and can't believe he threw in his hat!!!!

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
I think part of the problem facing football in the valley is the same problem facing northern states in general: the type of player turned out just isn't as valued in college football anymore. The premium on speed is greater than it's ever been, and the rust belt is just not known for fast players. The loaded backfields that YSU won with in the 90s just aren't in vogue anymore.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
I agree with Paladin and Power about local talent at the HS level.

I do not agree that there is any unusual apathy toward recruiting. In fact, you should all be proud of yourselves for the chatting that you do. Back with Early Heacock and before ...it was only a mention "after the fact". Now the school promotes it.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
4 D1 recruits this year in the area..... 4! Facts are facts people. Talent is down

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
More to the point , there is NOT a single significant D-I recruit in the area this year. Not a one. There are 4 recruits but they aren't very talented. Ohio St., Mich. and Penn St. missed out on no one here.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
4 D1 recruits..... Unreal. And one of them was the punter Sheely who came here.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
Wussification? Seriously? I have no doubt there are kids now that might have played football 20,30,40 years ago that choose to not play. And, yes, part of that is because of the inherent risk of injury in football. If you ask me, that is just being smart. Especially for a kid that has other options, and who is not likely to go on to play football in college.

The #1 reason(in my opinion) is population decline. For those of that can remember, think back to how many players the Tressel coached teams had from Ytown City Schools. When I went to YSU(86-91), there were 5 high schools in Ytown city. There are now 2, but with only 1 football team combined.

Warren had 2 high schools, then in 90 or 91 combined into 1 high school. The enrollment at WGH has declined significantly in the last 20+ years.

I graduated from Fitch in 1986, in a class of about 550 students. Overall enrollment was about 2,100. I'd be surprised if enrollment at Fitch is much more than 1,500-1,600 now. Same thing with Boardman.

Tressel's teams had multiple players from Warren JFK that played key roles on those teams. Now, JFK barely has enough kids to remain open. Enrollment declined so much that the 2nd floor is now used as a Middle School.

With the exception of some of the outlying school districts, I'd say ALL districts have seen drastic declines in enrollment from the 80's and 90's.

We also now live in an era where coaches of basketball and baseball want their kids playing basketball and baseball ALL YEAR LONG. I am old enough to remember the days when it was the "crazy football coach" that supposedly wanted their players lifting all off season, and not playing other sports. The thing is, while this was the case with some coaches, for most they just wanted their athletes being active in the off-season. If NOT playing basketball or wrestling in the winter, then be in the weight-room with football team. If not running track or playing baseball in the Spring, be in the weight-room.

Football coach's are a strange breed, but as a person who did not play football, I can tell you that the real problem for specialization lies with coach's from other sports(especially basketball and baseball), and also parents. Seems every parent believes their son(or daughter) is going to get a full ride in a sport to college. And, given the cost of college now days, I think that happens more than ever.

The quality and importance of high school football is still there in Ytown/Warren. What is lacking is the pool of D1 caliber players. Does not seem as if YSU is losing Ytown/Warren area kids to other FCS schools, and the overall number of kids from the area signing with D1 schools is decreasing. That happens with population decline.

One last point. YSU has had a "pipeline" of orts to Florida going all the way back to Narduzzi. Tressel built upon that, and also selective used 1A/FCS and JUCO transfers. Some of these transfers were local kids, but many were not.