Author Topic: Mens Basketball Game on ESPN3  (Read 14226 times)

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »
Shoulda....woulda!

That was the worst play call ever when you only need a 2 pointer or a trip to the line to tie or win. Stupid!!!

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mens Basketball Game on ESPN3
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
Positives : Weber and Hain played really well. Belin also was good offensively.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
This had nothing to do with the refs. Very good game played by Weber. Hain and Belin also played extremly well in the first half, then kind of disappeared during that 15-2 run made by Oakland. And, Belin was playing like his head was up his rearrend.

As for KP, I give alot of credit to Oakland. They did an excellent job on defense. Also wondering how much the hot shooting by other players for YSU impacted Perry in this game. First half, and first 8 minutes or so of the second half, YSU really did not need KP to score.

Oakland plays hard, and they play for the entire 40 minutes. They are 4-4, and all 4 wins were after trailing at halftime. I don't care what Slocum says, Bade is much more than a shooter, and he proved it in this game. Kid can flat out play.

Tough loss for YSU and a very good win for Oakland. Now it's time to regroup and try to get a win at Wright State next Wednesday.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
How many times do we have to hear Coach say, "Disappointing loss, I felt like we gave one away."  Same response Valpo,APU, and Oakland. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »
How many times do we have to hear Coach say, "Disappointing loss, I felt like we gave one away."  Same response Valpo,APU, and Oakland.
You act like we are the only NCAA team that has had some heartbreaking losses this season.

Tough loss for sure, but need to regroup for the second half of league play. Some difficult challenges lay ahead.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
Bottom line is we threw this one away!  Instead of tied for third, now we are sixth.   The coach and the team both know we gave this one away.  I don't know how many times in the second half I heard bad pass (Kam iin particular) from Schmidty!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:23:42 PM by Dmorton »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
Bad defense again.... KP another off night. Cant afford many more of those........

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 07:26:06 AM »
Btw, Oakland has a nice gym. Smaller, but I was impressed!

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 08:54:26 AM »
The HL is down this year. A lot of bad teams. despite this, ysu is only in sixth place. YSU is just not a good team. The program is not a good program. Lets call it for what it is. Some people get made and say it's negativity. It's reality. I am not going to pick on coaches, players or the athletic department. They all do the best they can.  Could we have better coaches, better players and better personnel in our athletic department? Perhaps. But at the end of the day they all do the best they can. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »
The most frustrating play of the game was late in the 2nd half when Oakland inbounded the ball under their own basket off of DJs back for an easy lay-up.  For those that didnt watch the game this play was right after a team or TV timeout.  Can someone please explain how this happens?  There are 4 coaches and someone didnt think to remind DJ as they broke from the timeout?   

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
The HL is down this year. A lot of bad teams. despite this, ysu is only in sixth place. YSU is just not a good team. The program is not a good program. Lets call it for what it is. Some people get made and say it's negativity. It's reality. I am not going to pick on coaches, players or the athletic department. They all do the best they can.  Could we have better coaches, better players and better personnel in our athletic department? Perhaps. But at the end of the day they all do the best they can.

I disagree with you saying we are not a good team. We absolutely have as much talent on this team as any other team in the conference and better than many others in other conferences. The problem is making stupid decisions with the ball and getting away from what we are most successful doing. Extra passes, sharing the ball, hitting open shots and not throwing away the ball. Plain and simple, we did this in the first half and didnt in the second half. We have the talent to beat a team like Oakland by 20 points. We seem to get outplayed and outcoached in the second half alot. That does not mean we are not a good team, we just have to get better down the stretch.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
There are no great teams in the HL this year. But, the league is very balanced, and the league RPI is 13, one spot below the MAC, but ahead of CUSA(14th). The HL is typically somewhere in the 11-14 or 15 range in the RPI rankings.

The only really bad team is UIC. Detroit has a poor record and lost alot of talent from last years team, but for a down year, they still have an RPI of 204.

There are 349 teams in D1, and and 33 conferences when lumping the Independents together as one conference. So, if the HL is a bad league, what does that say about the 19 conferences ranked below the HL + the Independents when lumped together?

I agree that this YSU team makes alot of little mistakes that cost them to lose games the way they did last night. And, theses little mistakes also result in games they win being much closer. I don;t think many people are expecting a perfect game from YSU, but some of the mistakes they make in most games would not be acceptable for a High School varsity team.

If I could ask one question of Coach Slocum about last nights game, it would be regarding his decision not to pick up Oakland full court on their last possession. Was surprised YSU did not at least pick up full court man-to-man in order to make it more difficult for Oakland to get the ball up court quickly. I'm not saying this decision cost YSU the game, would just be curious why he used the strategy used on that possession.