Author Topic: 2014 FB Schedule  (Read 13149 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 FB Schedule
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
Does anyone know how far in advance these schedules are made and the purpose of scheduling these seemingly week out of conference games?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
Does anyone know how far in advance these schedules are made and the purpose of scheduling these seemingly week out of conference games?

Desire to have 6 or 7 home games and not having enough money to buy home games from teams from higher rated conferences.   YSU would not go on the road to an FCS team on a one year contract.   

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »
One cannot defend the OOC schedule. I talked to Joe Scalzo about it and he told me he asked Strollo about the OOC scheduling a few weeks ago. According to Scalzo, Strollo told him that the OOC schedule doesn't matter when playoff teams are being determined and that the conference schedule is what matters.

Of course Scalzo and myself and I know many others disagree with Strollo's view on the OOC schedule.  To me, YSU should play one OOC game against a good FCS team-preferably one that has tradition and is recognizable to fans. Even if YSU does a home and home with a good FCS team that is far better than playing 3 cupcakes.

I wouldn't even mind playing 2 money games instead of three teams that generate no interest. YSU needs to try anything it can to get more people interested in the program.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
I wouldn't even mind playing 2 money games instead of three teams that generate no interest. YSU needs to try anything it can to get more people interested in the program.

+1 on your comments ray...however I think even finding one money game is becoming more difficult for schools like YSU.  To some of the FCS schools we are considered the cupcake to their schedule also.

Whomever is in charge of promoting YSU and their sports teams should spend some time taking the place of Pete on a Stick.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
Compare our schedule to N. Iowa's. For the second consecutive season N. Iowa plays two FBS schools-this upcoming season they play Iowa and Hawaii on the road. The other OOC games are Morgan State and N. Colorado at home. That is a very respectable schedule. Now compare that to ours. I don't get it. Any wonder why people aren't interested?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 07:12:53 PM »
I'm not buying that the OOC schedule does not matter when at-large teams are being selected for the playoffs. Could it be possible that Ron Strollo misunderstood the question from Scalzo (or vice versa), and Ron's response was in regard to YSU missing the playoffs because of not winning enough games in the GFC.

One more conference win in each of the past 2 seasons, plus multiple times when Heacock was HC, and YSU would have been selected as an at-large team. Off top of my head, I know this would have been the case in 01, 02, and 05 with Heacock.

As for OOC schedule, I think playing 2 FBS teams would be okay, but do not advise that in a season with 12 games unless playing the other 2 OOC games against non/partial scholarship FCS teams at home. With the expanded playoffs, I definitely think a team from the GFC with a record of 7-5/5-3 could be selected for an at-large bid to playoffs if 2 of the losses were against FCS teams on the road. But, alot would also depend on where they finish in the GFC. To be assured of a playoff spot in the coming season, UNI is either going to need a win against 1 of the FBS teams, or go 6-2 in the GFC.

UNI has over scheduled themselves OUT of the playoffs before, as have a few other FCS teams

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »
I would first point out that we had planned on two IA/FBS teams, but Wisconsin fell through. Secondly, who would not love to play Hawaii? The NCAA picks up the tab for trip to a vacation spot. The NCAA has always sponsored Hawaii football because of it's distance and the extreme cost to travel there. Most all of the Southland teams have been playing 2 FBS teams for several years now. I am really not in favor of it, or playing IA/FBS teams in general. Waste of time.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 08:26:08 AM »
I would first point out that we had planned on two IA/FBS teams, but Wisconsin fell through. Secondly, who would not love to play Hawaii? The NCAA picks up the tab for trip to a vacation spot. The NCAA has always sponsored Hawaii football because of it's distance and the extreme cost to travel there. Most all of the Southland teams have been playing 2 FBS teams for several years now. I am really not in favor of it, or playing IA/FBS teams in general. Waste of time.

I'd rather play 2 FBS schools rather than the Duquesne and Butler's of the world. No question.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
Yes 0505, but if we were not allowed to play up or down a division (which I favor), you would be happy to play Duquesne, RMU and U.D. every year.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
If we where not allowed to play up or down then we should only be allowed to play full scholarship fcs teams. We should not be able to play partial scholarship fcs teams-that is still playing down. Aren't those some of those schools we have been playing partial scholarship schools?

Perhaps the ncaa should only allow fbs teams from power conferences to play only other power conference teams. Only mid majors can play mid majors. Only full scholarship fcs can play full scholarship fcs. Only partial scholarship can play partial
Scholarship and so on and so forth. Maybe there needs to be more levels of football.