Author Topic: 2014 FB Schedule  (Read 13146 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
2014 FB Schedule
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
Today's Vindicator released an article re: the 2014 FB schedule.  Knowing that an 8-4 record will unlikely result in a post-season invite, it seems that significant off-season improvements are necessary, as this schedule is more challenging than the 2013 schedule.

Instead of playing the -DSU's at home (where we lost both), we are playing them in far away lands in front of inhospitable crowds.  If we fall to those teams again, and Illinois, than we must otherwise run the table.

The Illinois game, who SIU lost only by 8 last season, will be a bellwether game, and is a must win to avoid the necessity of running the table against non-DSU schools.  This is a tall order for a HC in a do-or-die season.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/jan/29/ysu-football-schedule-features--home-gam/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 FB Schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
NDSU had a lot of seniors this year, new starters and new coaching staff bring questions, If we find a solid qb that game can be ours.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:16 AM »
I hope YSU wises up and plays the 1st three home games at night.  7pm start times are great and seems to bring out more fans than the 4pm or 6pm times.   You know the athletic dept reads these posts so play at 7pm Mr. Strollo.   Then actually market the game then.  Novel idea!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »
The issue is that the current marketing manager is "dead weight" and needs to retire. This job needs to be given to a degreed person with a proven track record in marketing and sales. Their resume must also show success with a limited budget. That is what we need.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
These home games suck. Let's just say it now.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
These home games suck. Let's just say it now.

That is debatable 05. Even so we have to appreciate where Pride is coming from. late starts mean time to get a few things done at home ..and then tailgate. It is easier to get the kids out to their tailgate sections as well.

I wish the schools would not sell booze & allow us to bring it. Then expand tailgate hours to include after early games. I know they are at risk right now.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
Similar schedule  as last year -- lots of weenies early and and a tough stretch to finish.

As for  QB, YSU is in trouble. Still hoping they get a Juco or transfer coming in. Otherwise the O has to change with the limited abilities here now.

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
Similar schedule  as last year -- lots of weenies early and and a tough stretch to finish.

As for  QB, YSU is in trouble. Still hoping they get a Juco or transfer coming in. Otherwise the O has to change with the limited abilities here now.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »
I understand scheduling is not easy. Also understand the importance of having at least 6 or 7 home games from a $$$$ standpoint to keep the people who have lodges happy.

With that being said, I think this current model of playing 3 teams from the Pioneer and Northeast ought to be scrapped. Playing 2 games like this is fine, especially with the team playing a $$$$ game on the road. Replace the 3rd with a game against a decent school from a full scholarship FCS Conference. Does NOT have to be a great team, just a team that will provide better competition, and also help with the selection committee come playoff time.

Maybe rotate the 2 Pioneer/NEC games at home among Robert Morris, Duquesne, Valpo, and Dayton. These are schools with whom YSU has played/plays in several sports, and has for many years. They are also regional. Then try and play a team from the OVC or Colonial with the 3rd FCS game. Might have to do a home-home, but when this game is on the road, YSU will still have 6 home games.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »
Lets_Talk - FCS does not have 12 games every year.  Only in those years where there are a certain number of Saturdays between Labor Day and Thanksgiving.  With Labor Day being September 1 this year and Thanksgiving being so late last yer, 2013 and 2014 are two of those year.

Pretty sure we go back to 11 in 2015.  Might be wrong and maybe it has changed.

I agree with your basic premise - just not sure that its possible to have the 6/6 split.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
I forgot about FCS teams only being allowed 12 games in certain years. Thank you for pointing this out.

So, that might mean only 5 home games in certain seasons. I can see how that would bother some people, but this could be offset by having YSU make the playoffs and host at least 1 game, thus making 6 home games.

Again, just a thought, and I understand the concern on part of Ron Strollo to keep the loge holders happy, as that money makes up most of the departments funding for scholarships. At least that is how I understand the money from loges works.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
Talk and Indy,

If we could just forget about 7 home games, there are ways to always play 6 and yet schedule one full scholarship OOC opponent.  In the first case, find a team that draws poorly and often plays only 5 home games.  For example, new CAA member Albany.  Offer to schedule a home-and-home with them provided that they come to Youngstown in a year with the 11 game limit.  We would go there during the 12 game season.  So in this example, we play at Albany next year and still have 6 home games.  In 2015, they come to us.  In the second case, just buy a home game from a Delaware State or a Morgan State in 11 game seasons like we did during the Tressel years.  Either way, as Lets Talk stated, 3 OOC partial or no scholarship opponents does us go good in the ratings or in the stands.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »
Maybe rotate the 2 Pioneer/NEC games at home among Robert Morris, Duquesne, Valpo, and Dayton. These are schools with whom YSU has played/plays in several sports, and has for many years. They are also regional. Then try and play a team from the OVC or Colonial with the 3rd FCS game. Might have to do a home-home, but when this game is on the road, YSU will still have 6 home games.

This has been mentioned several times and I think it is great idea. I would go to any of those games & the Pittsburgh area games are close to being home games. We are never going to get any of the black colleges (Morgan state or Delaware state) as they all have special games each year. We would have to play a substantial team. I have no problem with these partial scholarship teams, as they are all going full scholarship as some point. Wick, I feel that fans would recognize any of those teams that Talk mentioned before MSU or DSU.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »
Talk and Indy,

If we could just forget about 7 home games, there are ways to always play 6 and yet schedule one full scholarship OOC opponent.  In the first case, find a team that draws poorly and often plays only 5 home games.  For example, new CAA member Albany.  Offer to schedule a home-and-home with them provided that they come to Youngstown in a year with the 11 game limit.  We would go there during the 12 game season.  So in this example, we play at Albany next year and still have 6 home games.  In 2015, they come to us.  In the second case, just buy a home game from a Delaware State or a Morgan State in 11 game seasons like we did during the Tressel years.  Either way, as Lets Talk stated, 3 OOC partial or no scholarship opponents does us go good in the ratings or in the stands.

Good Post.  They need to get agressive in scheduling.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
YSU at NDSU is gonna be a physical throw down!

Holy smokes pad your stats games here >>>>Duquesne (Sept. 6), Butler (Sept. 13) and Saint Francis (Sept. 20).
Guaranteed 3-1 start!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:40:09 PM by lakesbison »