Author Topic: WBB vs Oakland  (Read 5973 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
WBB vs Oakland
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
Ladies are doing the same thing as the men and blowing a 15-point lead.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: WBB vs Oakland
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »
pushed it back out to 12-point lead.  :)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »
Pulled out the W, unlike the men... 5-0 in the conference!!! Wow. Are they for real?

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Great win Ladies.  Coach thanks for another win.  I applaud your efforts.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
Barnes is the real deal. Ladies really buying in

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
Did not watch the game, as these games come on much earlier when in Pacific time zone. I will admit, I was a bit skeptical of Barnes earlier in the season. Thought maybe he had been riding on the coattails of the HC at GB, and was too much of a "system" coach.

But, it is clear now that he has the players believing in what he and his staff are teaching, and the players are believing in themselves. GB is down by GB standards, but YSU is now 5-0 and in 1st place in the HL. Best HL start in program history.

GB is down, but still has an RPI of 103
UIC has an RPI of 114

YSU has beaten both teams, and beat UIC on the road.

This is a testament to the coaching staff, the players, and I think playing a rather challenging OOC schedule may well be paying off for the team now that they are in HL play. Schedule strength is at 130, so it's not as if this team has played a cupcake schedule. Barring a letdown, team ought to be 6-0 in HL after playing Detroit on Wednesday, including 4-0 in a very important early HL season home stand.

YSU now has a 2 game lead in the HL, and the conference champion gets an auto bid to the WNIT. A long way to go, but a nice place to be 5 games in to HL play.

Congrats to the team on another win, and best wishes for the rest of the season.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:48:46 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
Next game is at home against Detroit, who hasn't won in the HL yet and is overall 3-15.

How nice would it be for YSU to host the WBB HL tournament?!

:D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
Good win and even better learning experience.  Lost their intensity in the second half.  Started to force some shots and had some defensive lapses.  Great to see that they were able to regain their form and dominate during the final minutes.

To add on to the analysis of Lets Talk, figure that there are four good teams in the league based upon early conference play or overall record.  Green Bay, Wright State, UIC, and, most unexpectantly, us.  Here are the results of head-to-head matchups within that group of four:

2-0 YSU
2-1 Green Bay
0-1 Wright State
0-2 UIC

So, like Green Bay, we have quality wins.  And within that group we have the only quality win on the road.  I just cannot believe this is the same team that struggled to beat Malone a week before Christmas.  I have never seen any team improve so dramatically within a six week span.  Congratulations and let's not stop now.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »
Beeghly capacity is 6,300. 

Attendance listed at 4,743.

75% of the seats were filled? 

How are these #s created? Do they laugh when submitting these #s?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:03:04 AM »

Maybe that's combined men and women

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »

If you live here you know the weather was awful. They had a large amount of tickets out for this game, hence the high number.

On another note, the women are beating their competition in the Horizon League by 12.8 points per game. Although some of the games got tighter in the second half, they've pulled away in every conference game thus far. Rather remarkable!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
The women have a two game lead in the loss column

1   Youngstown State   5   0   9   9
2   UIC                          4   2   15   4
3   Wright State           4   2   15   6
4   Green Bay                3   2   10   7
5   Oakland                   3   3   8   11
6   Cleveland State   3   3   8   11
7   Milwaukee           2   3   6   12
8   Valparaiso           1   4   3   15
9   Detroit                  0   6   3   16

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »
Good info Indy. I am sure I am way too early on this. Not certain, but our overall record is not going to help us with any at-large berth. However, we have won 6 of our last 7; so if people do any homework with injuries, who knows?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
Even if YSU were to win al of their remaining games, then lose in the HL Title Game, there is NO WAY this team will earn an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

YSU is presently 9-9, but only 7-9 against D1 teams. Non D1 games do not count as far as NCAA selection committee, unless it is a loss.

YSU hasa current RPI of 196, and while continuing to win will help the RPI, it will not help enough to earn YSU consideration for an at-large bid. However, the HL is one of several conferences where the regular season champion is guaranteed an auto bid to the WNIT if said team were to lose in their conference tournament.

It's a bit early to be considering any of these scenarios seriously, but given the teams 4-9 record in OOC play(2-9 against D1 teams), the near loss to Malone, and all the injuries, the fact YSU is now 5-0 and 2 games ahead in the loss column in the HL is quite an accomplishment. Just hope this solid play continues, and the team stays healthy/injury free.