Author Topic: MBB vs WSU  (Read 9391 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB vs WSU
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
I think it is a big win.  We had to protect our house we did that..I thought the refs were bad.  Poor Bobby Hain...had a target on his back.  And the kid from Indiana yesterday was lights out...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »
Amazing how short these threads are after a win. Very interesting .

I was thinking the same thing, it's a mindset that is hard to change.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
Amazing how short these threads are after a win. Very interesting .

I was thinking the same thing, it's a mindset that is hard to change.

I agree. It's really quite sad. It's almost as if some people enjoy seeing us lose only because it proves them right.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 09:04:10 PM »
Always happy when YSU wins, but the fact remains we have to steal a couple on the road now, and continue to protect home court.  Just a passionate fan. I think the guys felt like they let one get away with that Valpo game.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
Was a fun game to watch. YSU matches up well with WSU, as the Raiders do not have much in the way of an inside presence. WSU did an excellent job containing KP, though that is not a surprise as defense is the strength for WSU.

I really have no idea how the kid from WSU missed that lay-up at the end of the game, but glad he did. These teams play again in 10-14 days, and I'd imagine that will be a bit more difficult game for YSU to win. It's on the road, and will be the 3rd game in a 3 game road trip. Which is all the more reason YSU getting this win at home was very important.

Here are just a few random thoughts:
* Even when not having much in the way of open looks, KP is able to score because he goes hard to the basket, which often results in FT's. Thus, even on an "off" night, he can still score 18 points. Not bad for an "off" night offensively. Good things often happen when a player goes to the basket hard, and under control.

*Kam Belin is a solid player, just wish he would realise(or the coaches would point out), it is okay to shoot from inside the 3 pt arc. When he is on, he is deadly from beyond the arc. But, when off, he'd be better served to take higher percentage shots. He has a good sized body and height, and ought to be able to post up or find a way to get fouled. Sometimes, simply making a lay-up of a few FT's can get a guy like Kam going.

*YSU could really use a solid inside player. Not sure why finding such a player has been so hard, especially since Jack Lyles had a solid career for YSU, and he was part of Slocum's first recruiting class. Even if they had a player or 2 like. A few others who have played for Slocum(but were recruited by Robic) are John Barber and Dwight Holmes. Barber was all around solid players, and Holmes was active, athletic and very good at getting "garbage points".

Imagine this years team with Eargle, Barber or Lyles and a guy like Dwight Holmes. Chojnaki and Larson seem like nice kids, and they play hard when on the floot. But, I could tell the first time I saw each of them play they would not contribute much at YSU. Would be good to excellent players at a D2 school, but are in over their heads at YSU.

If Bobby Hain could add 20-25 lbs in the off season, he could be a solid inside presence, who can also step out and play 18-20 feet from the basket. He causes problems now on defense with his length, the problem is when covering physically stronger players.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:53:15 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
No "IP" post after the victory.  Just saying.