Author Topic: Even the Ice Castle is getting no respect..  (Read 5136 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Even the Ice Castle is getting no respect..
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »
 :o

55. Stambaugh Stadium..The Youngstown State Penguins are one of the premier teams in the FCS division of college football. The proof is in the four National Championships that the Penguins own. Youngstown is another rust belt city that is truly defined by the people that call it home; and this shows at YSU football games. The stadium itself is also a reflection of the city; perhaps it’s a little worn, but it can still get the job done on game day.  **10 spots  behind 45. Hansen Field (WIU) The atmosphere for Western Illinois football begins as you park your car and make your way through the tailgating. This is one destination where you definitely want to pack up the car and be ready to spend some quality time with purple and gold clad fans. You'll find enough tailgaters to make you think you may be at an FBS-level football game.
I've been to Hansen 3 times and can't remember any of that..  ::)
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/01-15-2014/541/2013-fcs-college-football-stadium-rankings

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Even the Ice Castle is getting no respect..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »
:o

55. Stambaugh Stadium..The Youngstown State Penguins are one of the premier teams in the FCS division of college football. The proof is in the four National Championships that the Penguins own. Youngstown is another rust belt city that is truly defined by the people that call it home; and this shows at YSU football games. The stadium itself is also a reflection of the city; perhaps it’s a little worn, but it can still get the job done on game day.  **10 spots  behind 45. Hansen Field (WIU) The atmosphere for Western Illinois football begins as you park your car and make your way through the tailgating. This is one destination where you definitely want to pack up the car and be ready to spend some quality time with purple and gold clad fans. You'll find enough tailgaters to make you think you may be at an FBS-level football game.
I've been to Hansen 3 times and can't remember any of that..  ::)
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/01-15-2014/541/2013-fcs-college-football-stadium-rankings

Illinois State is #23, this guy is out there.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Whoever is writing this is a complete whack-job. I was at the YSU-Western Illinois game in the 2012 season at Western. There's more atmosphere at a Sebring-Leetonia (no disrespect intended towards those schools) game. I saw little or no tailgating and the Western fans were bored out of their minds. And on top of that, it's a high school type field. There's nobody in our league with our facilities and although FAR too many of our tailgaiters wear O$U clothing, believe me there's no comparison.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »
I agree with those saying Stambaugh Stadium being rated #55 in FCS Stadiums is crazy. With that being said, I'm not sure it is a top 20 FCS stadium any longer. A big problem(at least to me), is lack of a connection between the West and East stands. Mosure Hall on the West Concourse has a great display of YSU football history, but I wonder how many fans from visiting teams make it over to the West concourse?

Would also be nice if the hill in North endzone was used for people with GA tickets to sit or stand. I remember this was done in the 2000 season, and it made for a great atmosphere.

An even bigger diss was given to Finley Stadium in Chattanooga. #84? Are you kidding me?

Roy Kidd Stadium at #88? Visitors side is nothing special, but main stands are quite nice. Was there in 93 to see YSU play EKU.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:12:36 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
Villanova at #12 - you've got to be kidding me.

Recall this conversation between Lecter, nova75 and I last year - and the physical plant was nothing to write home about either.  Campus was beautiful, stadium wasn't much better than high school stadiums.

Me:

Speaking of disappointing attendance

My son and I were down in Philly over the weekend, looking at a certain school on the Main Line. 

A mostly cloudy day, mid-50's, no breeze.  Great weather for November 10.

#21 team at 6-3 hosting #9 at 7-2 on Senior Day.  I will give Nova's alma mater credit for announcing what looked to be close to the actual attendance - 6,617.  That total easily included more than 1,000 JMU fans.  I was shocked that there were not more people there.   We could not get a ticket to Friday night's sold out basketball game against Division II University of District Columbia - but plenty of football tickets available. - $15 tickets.

nova75

I agree. That has been going on since I went there. Waaaay too much going on in the Philly area. No one cares except families and football alumni. On a serious note, send me a private message if you need any insight on the school or the area.

Lecter

did some of the football fans dress in blazers and khakis?  Wives in plaid skirts?  Camembert and the delightful Chardonnay in the stands?   I hated that place to watch football.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
Thought the same thing Indy on Nova's Stadium. I was there for a play-off game. Aside from the nice mortar ...it is a high-school stadium. It does have a nice location.

Then there is WIU ...LOL You needed a taxi to get there  & all of those most likely said International Harvester on the fender.

The Butler Bowl? Living off of what it was almost a century ago. Now it is a few high-school stands and a field dropped in a hole.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
Bigred,

Don't get upset over what morons post on the internet.  Having just scanned that list, it might be one of the most preposterous entities that I have ever seen online.  Perhaps we should just respond to that idiot by applying a quote that is attributed to the old movie actor, John Wayne.  The "Duke" supposedly said this: "Life is hard.  It is harder when you are stupid."

Here is the important thing.  Recruits continue to be blown away by our facilities.  If we can get them to visit, we have an excellent chance to sign them.  That even applies to other sports besides football.  That is why I hope that we could somehow find the money to replace the old bleachers in Beeghly with red chairbacks, all the way to the ceiling.  Our gym would then look as awesome as the stadium and the Watts.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »
I agree with those saying Stambaugh Stadium being rated #55 in FCS Stadiums is crazy. With that being said, I'm not sure it is a top 20 FCS stadium any longer. A big problem(at least to me), is lack of a connection between the West and East stands. Mosure Hall on the West Concourse has a great display of YSU football history, but I wonder how many fans from visiting teams make it over to the West concourse?

Would also be nice if the hill in South endzone was used for people with GA tickets to sit or stand. I remember this was done in the 2000 season, and it made for a great atmosphere.

An even bigger diss was given to Finley Stadium in Chattanooga. #84? Are you kidding me?

Roy Kidd Stadium at #88? Visitors side is nothing special, but main stands are quite nice. Was there in 93 to see YSU play EKU.

I agree about connecting the 2 sides, at least on the north end. Yea yea hard to justify with the crowd size we have been getting, but it sure would improve the looks. South side is a different story, not much room there, maybe stands could be installed that protrude over the hill and let the band sit there.

Fans can walk from one side to the other but it is a pain and lots of steps which is a problem for some.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
Whoever wrote this is a joke lol.... Love our stadium but I agree in saying I think we need to connect the two sides. That would be nice

Lets_Talk

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
guinpen,

I meant connecting on North end. Went back and adjusted. Sorry for the mistake. Does not even have to be more seating, just a way to make it easier for people to go from East stands to West stands and vice versa.