Author Topic: Women beat Green Bay 66-57  (Read 5334 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Women beat Green Bay 66-57
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
Congratulations to Coach Barnes and the team.  YSU now 3-0 in Horizon League for first time ever.  Given the way the season started, I didn't see this coming.

Green Bay now 8-7, clearly not what they have been but this is still a very good win.

51 fouls in the game - YSU shot 33 free throws.  Green Bay threw up 40 three point attempts.

I have never seen a game with so many offensive fouls called - most of which were NBA worthy flops.  Maybe I need to watch more women's basketball, but the officials were not very good IMO.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Women beat Green Bay 66-57
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »
Great win for Coach and team.  Hard work pays off!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
Great win and great composure late. Two or three years ago we were up ten with under 2:00 left and we blew it. A week or two ago, someone on here said it was the Schlegel show getting us these wins. They held her in check tonight. This evening it was a full blown TEAM win. With Walker and Schlegel in foul trouble the entire 2nd half, it was impressive to see the other girls step up and get a huge win for this program.

Girls appear to finally have a grasp of what Barnes has wanted since day one AND Barnes seems to be letting the girls shoot from the outside more.

Congrats on a BIG win for these girls! 1st Place!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:08:38 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
Very good win!!! Keep it going ladies

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »
Indy,

Unusually bad officiating even for a women's game.  One character, the younger man, called 75% of those offensive fouls.  I actually thought we got a few breaks from the older guy late; perhaps he was embarrassed.

As ValleyTalk stated, great team win.  For much of the game we defended them with four guards and one forward (and Flagg really has a guard mentality.)  We shut Green Bay out for the last 8:08 of the first half.  Amazing. 

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Wick,

I believe this is the official you were mentioning:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/01/17/councilman-gets-an-earful-in-side-job-as-a-referee.html

I agree - I was very surprised that fouls were not called on some of the blocked shots YSU had under the Green Bay basket late in the game - and the older official had baseline on those plays.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
Thanks Indy.  Great detective work as usual.  To everybody that follows the women, take a good look at that picture, just in case that jerk ever reappears in our gym.  A textbook example of his incompetence occurred when Schlegel fouled out.  Fortunately, the game was already decided.  But she was dribbling up the sideline and a Green Bay player, without stopping or even slowing down, dashed right in front of her.  Mr. Basketball called it on Heidi.  Watching the replay on tv last night it was even worse than in person.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
Wick,

I believe this is the official you were mentioning:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/01/17/councilman-gets-an-earful-in-side-job-as-a-referee.html

I agree - I was very surprised that fouls were not called on some of the blocked shots YSU had under the Green Bay basket late in the game - and the older official had baseline on those plays.
Also thanks Indy---I felt so strongly that he was possibly the worst official I've EVER seen (and remember--my team won!!), that I felt compelled to register with the Dispatch to leave a comment to the story.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »
I did not go looking for this guy.  But I do like to read Bob Hunter's weekly notes column each Friday.  I printed it to read at lunch and saw the second story about a councilman and ref.  So I'm starting to eat my lunch, finish the notes column and then pull out the ref story.  I about spit my food out when I realized who the story was about...