Author Topic: Track and Field teams?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Track and Field teams?
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:40 AM »
Just stumbled on a facebook page in which i'm assuming an athlete or coach does on facebook (doesnt look official) and found this.

Currently 5 Penguin athletes gracing the National List. Sam Hamilton is currently 10th in the 3000m. Chenera Lacey is currently 29th in the High Jump. Jay Jakovina is tied for 38th in the Mens High Jump. New comer Conner Neu is 23rd in the Weight Throw. Bobby Grace is tied for 5th. These places are out of all competitors in Division I at this point in the year. Its still early but with 85% of institutions having competed thus far, these athletes deserve a round of applause! Congrats guins, Lets move on up!

is this true?? and if so isn't this a pretty big deal?

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Track and Field teams?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
apparently this isn't a big deal.  Pretty revealing.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
Some nice performances but really early in the season. As noted, not all teams have participated in a meet yet and no idea how many top performers competed in week one.  There are some talented athletes for YSU - hopefully they can stay high in the rankings and perhaps qualify for indoor Nationals.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
First event rankings of the indoor season were published this week (before the Penn State meet)

Bobby Grace is 8th nationally in the shot put

Samantha Hamilton is 10th nationally in the 5000

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2014-itf/DI_2014_indWk0_TF_TFRRSTop10.pdf
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:28:04 PM by ysuindy »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
I would also like to point out that we host our first nationally-sanctioned meet at WATTS this weekend. This is HUGE. This means that time/distances/scores apply to the NCAA & can give teams an opportunity to qualify for post-season meets. If it were not for WATTS, this would not be happening. These are things that make YSU a desired school. Not just by prospective students, but by other conferences. I am not trying to start a "move up to an FBS conference" conversation. I am just saying that our stock as an institution has just grown substantially.

This is how you measure your department and AD.

Penguins Gear Up to Host Youngstown State National Invitational

The Youngstown State men's and women's track and field teams return to the WATTS on Friday and Saturday to play host to the Youngstown State National Invitational. Events begin at 3:45 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. on Saturday.

Teams competing in the event include: Duquesne, Bucknell, Detroit, Oakland, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Slippery Rock, Clarion, Seton Hill and Shippensburg.

Friday's schedule features the women's pole vault, men's and women's long jump, men's and women's weight throw, men's and women's 5,000-meter run, men's and women's 500-meter dash, men's and women's 1,000-meter run and will conclude with the men's and women's DMR.

On Saturday, field events start at 10 a.m. with running events set to begin at noon. Field events slated for 10 o'clock starts on Saturday are men's and women's triple jump, men's and women's shot put, men's and women's high jump. The men's pole vault is scheduled to start at 12:30 p.m.

Running events on Saturday are the mile, 400-meter dash, 60-meter hurdles, 60-meter dash, 800-meter run, 200-meter dash, 3,000-meter run and 4x400-meter relay.

Admission is $7 and parking is available at the R-1 Lot located on Elm Street just North of the WATTS.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:56:46 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »
Technically every meet is NCAA sanctioned, and all marks can be applied toward NCAA qualifications.  The national invite title, is just a title.  I will agree that without the WATTS we could not host meets in general, but all meets that have been held in the WATTS are sanctioned.