Author Topic: Cleveland State Game  (Read 17282 times)

Offline cordep17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Cleveland State Game
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »
Hey, I'm new to the board.
Been a guins basketball fan since the third grade/

What a thrill ride that was!
I keep thinking this team can be so much more. If we're going to win the league, this has to be the year. Players like KP don't come around often.

The defense is very nonchalant. We're good at scoring, but we make it so easy for other the other teams. We saw it tonight though; these guys can play defense when we need them to. I really think we are under-utilizing our bench. Chojnacki is a good alternative to Bobby. Marcus can hit the three and he's lighting quick. Also, it really seems like we are under-utilizing Jalon Plummer. He was the 2nd best player on his highschool team behind Wes Clark (Mizzou). Whenever he got in during the late stages of games during non-conference, I was impressed with his determination on both sides of the court. He fits well with our system. Personally, I'd like to see him in there a lot more, but if he isn't going to get in there, I don't understand the logic not to redshirt him. Obviously talented, we're wasting a year of his eligibility.

Bobby can score a little, but man! It seems like he's trying to handle an ice cube when ever he gets a pass or goes up for a rebound.

I was hopeful Belin would really become a reliable scorer after the Kent St. game, but that hasn't happened yet.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Hey, I'm new to the board.
Been a guins basketball fan since the third grade/

What a thrill ride that was!
I keep thinking this team can be so much more. If we're going to win the league, this has to be the year. Players like KP don't come around often.

The defense is very nonchalant. We're good at scoring, but we make it so easy for other the other teams. We saw it tonight though; these guys can play defense when we need them to. I really think we are under-utilizing our bench. Chojnacki is a good alternative to Bobby. Marcus can hit the three and he's lighting quick. Also, it really seems like we are under-utilizing Jalon Plummer. He was the 2nd best player on his highschool team behind Wes Clark (Mizzou). Whenever he got in during the late stages of games during non-conference, I was impressed with his determination on both sides of the court. He fits well with our system. Personally, I'd like to see him in there a lot more, but if he isn't going to get in there, I don't understand the logic not to redshirt him. Obviously talented, we're wasting a year of his eligibility.

Bobby can score a little, but man! It seems like he's trying to handle an ice cube when ever he gets a pass or goes up for a rebound.

I was hopeful Belin would really become a reliable scorer after the Kent St. game, but that hasn't happened yet.

Welcome!! Great points!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »
It was a big win because of this: Belin had the worst game of his career IMHO scoring 0 points all night. Also, Keene never saw the floor and bench scoring was limited to Amiker and one layup by Chojnacki.

KP was terrific as always, while Weber continues to be reliable in his role of nailing those three point shots from the corner. Hain's defense on Grady was a thing of beauty though. Perhaps Hain is learning to play some D.

Great win, but we need to beat Detroit Saturday. Can ill afford a letdown.

Go YSU

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
Yeah I was surprised to not see Keene out there.... But we know Jerry does not like to use the bench. KP just carried us, I mean what else can you say about him?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
Slocum's a stiff. If it wasn't for him, we could have won by 20.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »

Haha. You know I had to get my one shot on Slocum in there IP! ;) all in all, a great entertaining game to watch. Gotta finish this home stand out strong!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 12:57:23 AM »
You need to use your smiley with a wink IP.  ;)

I was questioning that late time-out to set the D, as it gave Waters a chance to set his O with no timeouts left ...but it ended up being the game-winning decision.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »

Haha. You know I had to get my one shot on Slocum in there IP! ;) all in all, a great entertaining game to watch. Gotta finish this home stand out strong!
You're right 05 it was entertaining, wasn't it? Didn't appreciate crybaby Waters not wanting to credit Perry or YSU after the game instead just saying how his team blew the game, but I guess it was a tough loss for him.  Perry and perhaps Hain are the only guys we have who would even see the floor for CSU so he must be really frustrated losing a game like that. Boy was Belin bad!! He'll need to play much better for us to continue to have a successful home stand. Detroit, Valpo, and Wright St (especially Detroit) are physical teams who will try to take KP out of what he likes to do. As you've said before, others need to step up--starting with Belin.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
Wonderful win for Coach Slocum and team.  Now I can go to Cleveland and face all my friends and say...
Well I'll think about what I will say.  A great game and a great KP.

GO PENGUINS!!! 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »
They have to start getting Kam more involved earlier. Once he gets down on himself, he just fades away and looks lost out there. Get him some easy looks early on so it's not a burden on KP every game. Go guins!

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

Sorry I didn't see anything about CSU that was so good that DJ., Kam or Ryan couldn't play for them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:54:15 PM by Wonderball »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
Final minutes from the stands for those of you who were not able to attend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgs-mjok15A

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »

Sorry I didn't see anything about CSU that was so good that DJ., Kam or Ryan couldn't play for them.

Good thing we have KP ;)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
I saw the post game comments by both coaches, Slocum was very gracious and respectful of CSU. On the other hand, the CSU coach, sorry his name escapes me, pointed out that his team "gave" us the game by turning the ball over several times, and that we had nothing at all to do with  the turnovers. Go figure!

What a class act.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »
Final minutes from the stands for those of you who were not able to attend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgs-mjok15A
Well done!