Author Topic: Sclazo reporting Wolford to get contract extension  (Read 16319 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Sclazo reporting Wolford to get contract extension
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »
Why would we not keep coach M? Wonderful coach. For God's sake, we have had the least talent & highest output from it in school history. The only valid argument for an offensive change is how much our unique style impacts our defense. If we were running a more traditional offense, our league defensive performance would improve. The key now is to keep coach M (as he is our next HC), then go after our reefer smoking former DC if (and I emphasize "if" you really want a new DC).

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
Why would we not keep coach M? Wonderful coach. For God's sake, we have had the least talent & highest output from it in school history. The only valid argument for an offensive change is how much our unique style impacts our defense. If we were running a more traditional offense, our league defensive performance would improve. The key now is to keep coach M (as he is our next HC), then go after our reefer smoking former DC if (and I emphasize "if" you really want a new DC).

Wow, no just no.... I'm sorry. Wonderful coach? After he got canned from Miami..... What has he done except break school records against crap teams we play.... When it matters most, he chokes. How many times has he blown the game with late game play calling (conservative).... And how about all the times he has cost us drives with taking forever to get play calls in... If he was such a "wonderful" coach, why hasn't any other school tried to pry him away from ysu? Why is he still here?

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »
From his performance at Miami, you could argue that coach M is not HC material, but you certainly have to respect his record as OC. I don't think they ever had a losing record and winning a couple of bowl games.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
Shane Montgomery is going nowhere. If you think he is a problem, then you really need to go back and watch our games over the past 4 years. The problem is clearly on defense and Wolford knows it. He knows this hire, as I am predicting will happen, on defense, will be crucial to his future as a head coach here, and if he ever wanted to make it big in the FBS.

Fingers crossed he has someone in the works that will actually RECRUIT and MAKE ADJUSTMENTS on defense.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »
No I know that defense is the problem don't get me wrong!  I just don't think Montgomery should still be here as well. Later in the season, against good teams, he fails.... The offense does the defense no favors whatsoever. but if he stays, so be it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 01:17:05 PM »

Responding to questions at his press conferences, Wolford has stated on several occasions that he has the final say on the calling of plays.  He is every bit as responsible for the delays as Montgomery.  Of course, if the two men are not in sync, Wolford should replace Montgomery.  Some of us would be a lot happier if Wolford left and Montgomery stayed.

Speculation about offense really just obscures the real problem.  As ValleyTalk has outlined, Wolford's entire career depends upon his ability to field a quality defense.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

Responding to questions at his press conferences, Wolford has stated on several occasions that he has the final say on the calling of plays.  He is every bit as responsible for the delays as Montgomery.  Of course, if the two men are not in sync, Wolford should replace Montgomery.  Some of us would be a lot happier if Wolford left and Montgomery stayed.

Speculation about offense really just obscures the real problem.  As ValleyTalk has outlined, Wolford's entire career depends upon his ability to field a quality defense.

Definitely agree, defense comes first and needs fixed. Just think a change in offense would help Wolf as well.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
Sounds to me like Strollo is just accepting mediocrity as he has in basketball.  Wolford has had a fair chance (4 years) and has not been able to back up his ego.  He blew it the last two years.  He quit in the NDS game when it was evident we could not match up with them.

I am a long time season ticket holder and am seriously considering not renewing as are many others I have talked to.  If the university has given up why shouldn't we.  Look for 4000 attendance figures again.  And as I see it if I do want to see a game there will be a lot of free or buy one get one tickets.

We also need to get out of the MVFC.  We cannot compete with the best in this league.  We need a league like the one Robert Morris is in where we might be able to win the championship & get the auto bid.

It is a shame that the current athletic administratiion has allowed our program to fall this far.  We used to be the program everyone benchmarked.  NDS was DII back then.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
dwj,

Regrettably, I think that your prediction about attendance will be accurate.  Failure in 12 of the past 13 years will extract a heavy price on fan loyalty.

I disagree about the suggestion to leave the MFVC.  That kind of reminds me of some local high schools that play in weak leagues, clobber their overmatched opponents during the regular season, then get massacred by the first strong team that they encounter in the playoffs.  Is that what we really want? 

The solution is to stay and become the dominant power in the best FCS league.  We still have unsurpassed facilities.  Ohio/Western Pennsylvania football might not still be elite on the national level, but it is light years superior to the high school game played in the Dakotas.  Everything that we need to succeed is here, from Stambaugh to the Watts to media coverage to recruiting zones.  The only question is the ability of those individuals at the top.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
what about making Jamie Bryant defensive coordinator. He has done a good job with special teams and he used to be a defensive coordinator before coming here.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
Pete Rekstis

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »
Pete Rekstis

I love to help YSU guys.  But no way Rekstis can be hired given the circumstances of his departure at FIU.  He's too toxic right now.   You need a lot more goodwill than Wolford has to pull that off.   Don't need to distraction - and how do you send a coach accused of cocaine use out to recruit?  Parents would want no part of that - and your DC has to be able to recruit

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »
what about making Jamie Bryant defensive coordinator. He has done a good job with special teams and he used to be a defensive coordinator before coming here.

Hmmmm

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 01:00:35 AM »
Pete Rekstis

I love to help YSU guys.  But no way Rekstis can be hired given the circumstances of his departure at FIU.  He's too toxic right now.   You need a lot more goodwill than Wolford has to pull that off.   Don't need to distraction - and how do you send a coach accused of cocaine use out to recruit?  Parents would want no part of that - and your DC has to be able to recruit

Great points Indy ...could not agree more. May be the only chance to get him though.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
The football coaches association is having their annual convention this week - across the street from where I work at the Indiana Convention Center.   Downtown Indy is crawling with coaches.

I suspect that Wolford will be interviewing coaches for the staff this week.  And the assistants who have been informed they will be let go are out looking for new work.

This ties in nicely with the end of January discussions on this thread - I've just been too dense to make the connection before walking around outside at lunch today.