Author Topic: NDSU in a class by itself  (Read 16709 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
NDSU in a class by itself
« on: December 14, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
Just watched NDSU totally and utterly destroy Coastal Carolina today on ESPN.  They have had a lot of National "face time" this year:). That used to be us:( :(

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU in a class by itself
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »
To be honest, YSU was never as dominate as NDSU or APP St. Those two programs are a notch above what we ever where.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
NDSU is awesome! They totally controlled the game with Coastal Carolina who beat Montana last week. NDSU ran through, around and over them. Then passed when the runners needed a rest.  Bohl's play calling was great and the team executed the plays well.

Brock Jensen had plenty of time to see his open receivers and connected. I don't believe the other FCS teams are at their level; they should win their 3rd straight championship.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
NDSU is awesome! They totally controlled the game with Coastal Carolina who beat Montana last week. NDSU ran through, around and over them. Then passed when the runners needed a rest.  Bohl's play calling was great and the team executed the plays well.

Brock Jensen had plenty of time to see his open receivers and connected. I don't believe the other FCS teams are at their level; they should win their 3rd straight championship.

Great playcalling. YES. Reminded me of USC back in the day when Pete Carroll had the Trojans rolling. Strong inside run game. Well timed outside runs, and the best play in football, the "naked" bootleg for run or pass that really slows down a defense when they start cheating.

The game at it's simplest and finest.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
I respectfully disagree that YSU was not every bit as dominant as NDSU or App State during the span from the8th game of the 1991 season, through the Championship Game in 1994.

4 straight 1AA Championship Games
3 NC's in 4 years
Lone loss was by 3 points, to Marshall, in what was essentially a home game for Marshall
93 Title, YSU beat Marshall, at Marshall
Record during this stretch: 46-5-2
Nov/Dec record: 26-1-1
Playoff record over this span, 15-1, with the lone loss being 31-28 in the 92 Title game against Marshall.

93 and 94 teams were especially dominate in the playoffs. Every game was won by 10 or more points. YSU beat Marshall 17 - 5 in NC game at Marshall.... YSU scored on each of their first 3 possessions. Game was never really in doubt after that. None of these games were ever in doubt.

In 94, the only playoff game that was in doubt, was the rematch with EKU. The other 3 were won by 14 or more points, and YSU could have scored more on both Boise and Alcorn, had Tress wanted to run up the score.

Something else to remember, is that Tressel's style of coaching did not lend itself to a "wow" factor, especially in the regular season. The regular season was used to get the team ready for the playoffs. Not that Tress wanted to lose any games, but he knew 1 or 2 losses would not keep YSU out of the playoffs.

I was at all but 2 home games, and at several road games. Watched other road games on TV. YSU was dominate, and so was Marshall. YSU though was a just bit more dominant than Marshall in the playoffs during that stretch.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:44:46 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
NDSU is very good but consider that they have yet to play a road game in their playoff run.  They are very similar in that regard to Marshall, who played only one road game during the 90s (and lost that to Boise State the week before the 1994 championship.)  As the data provided by Let's Talk proves, our stats over a four year period were superior.  Consider also that, during the 90s, we defeated two #1 ranked teams on the road in the playoffs, Nevada in 1991 and Villanova in 1997.  And in two of the four national championship victories, our opponents never crossed our goal line (Marshall in 1993 and McNeese State in 1997.)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
I respectfully disagree that YSU was not every bit as dominant as NDSU or App State during the span from the8th game of the 1991 season, through the Championship Game in 1994.

3 NC's in 4 years
Lone loss was by 3 points, to Marshall, in what was essentially a home game for Marshall
Playoff record over this span, 15-1, with the lone loss being 31-28 in the 92 Title game against Marshall.

93 and 94 teams were especially dominate in the playoffs. Every game was won by 10 or more points. YSU beat Marshall 17 - 5 in NC game at Marshall.... YSU scored on each of their first 3 possessions. Game was never really in doubt after that. None of these games were ever in doubt.

In 94, the only playoff game that was in doubt, was the rematch with EKU. The other 3 were won by 14 or more points, and YSU could have scored more on both Boise and Alcorn, had Tress wanted to run up the score.

Something else to remember, is that Tressel's style of coaching did not lend itself to a "wow" factor, especially in the regular season. The regular season was used to get the team ready for the playoffs. Not that Tress wanted to lose any games, but he knew 1 or 2 losses would not keep YSU out of the playoffs.

I was at all but 2 home games, and at several road games. Watched other road games on TV. YSU was dominate, and so was Marshall. YSU though was a just bit more dominant than Marshall in the playoffs during that stretch.

+100^^ Lets Talk and Wick are correct.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
To be honest, YSU was never as dominate as NDSU or APP St. Those two programs are a notch above what we ever where.
I disagree but didn't comment earlier because I was to lazy to dig up the stats--Let's Talk once again hit the nail on the head. ;)

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:09:16 PM »
when I say not as dominate I'm talking more from a talent perspective. Sure what we accomplished is every bit as impressive as what NDSU and APP St. has but, talent wise these schools are superior . We never had superior talent against every team we played the way those two schools have.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
BINGO !! YSU lacked talent but got superior coaching to  win big. Even now, while the talent here is better , the coaching isn't. I'm always amazed when a Ytowner proclaims YSU has and had superior talent. In your dreams maybe.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
Did not see myself or any who agreed with me boasting about superior talent. Fotball is a TEAM game. This thread is about dominant TEAMS, not dominant players. And, while YSU may not have alot of players with mind blowing physical skills, what they did have were teams full of extremely talented FOOTBALL players. I don't care how good Tress and staff were, a team does not accomplish what YSU accomplished without alot of talented players.

As for a dropp off coming for NDSU, I totally agree. I think the question is how much of a drop-off. Believe that would be the case even if Bohl stayed. YSU had a drop-off from 95-2000, even with Tressel. Yes, there were still 2 NC games, 1 NC and 3 trips to the playoffs. Also, 5 winning seasons in 6 years. But, that was a drop-off from the dominant years of 91-94. And, let's not forget the 1990 team went 11-0 in the regular season, only to lose at home to UCF in the first round of the playoffs. The 89 team went 9-4, with the schools first 1AA/FCS playoff win in the 1st round at EKU.

So, there was a drop-off, though YSU still remained a legitimate top level FCS program.

I do not care the sport. Give me above average athletes(but not mind blowing) who know how to play the sport, are coachable who have the intangibles that cannot be taught over a team full of mind blowing athletes, but with little natural instincts for the sport. The former will beat the later the vast majority of times. Add in great coaching, and the supposedly more talented team wins even fewer times.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »
1. stop recruiting athletes & start recruiting football players.

2. I trust coach M to field a good O ...let's concentrate on defense. Field teams that can stop the Dakota's. Not just the "Dakota States" as we should not have beaten USD. They will be a top-3 conference team next year.

3. Get a "big" package on offense. We lose Sharbaugh and Pace. We need a back that can hit hard and is over 225lbs. Then settle on QB. Outside of that get 10 solid starting linemen & cross-train them.

Offline tjbison

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
NDSU is very good but consider that they have yet to play a road game in their playoff run.  They are very similar in that regard to Marshall, who played only one road game during the 90s (and lost that to Boise State the week before the 1994 championship.)  As the data provided by Let's Talk proves, our stats over a four year period were superior.  Consider also that, during the 90s, we defeated two #1 ranked teams on the road in the playoffs, Nevada in 1991 and Villanova in 1997.  And in two of the four national championship victories, our opponents never crossed our goal line (Marshall in 1993 and McNeese State in 1997.)

we are currently 12-1 in the playoffs with this class since 2010

2 games On the road, 2 games at neutral site 4 total road games

2010 we beat Robert Morris in the opening round, then traveled to a Montana St and blew out the Big Sky champs, following week went to Eastern Washington and lost in OT to eventual NC, since that game NDSU has won 18 straight road games, the record for this class to date is 50-7 and on a NCAA leading 22 straight wins.  not to mention 4-0 against FBS (B1G, Big 12 and MWC)

been a pretty impressive run

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
Bison,

I was only counting the two years when you won the title and this year when you should win a third crown.  Over that span, you will not have played a road game.  Neutral sites are completely different situations.  In that sense, you are fortunate as was Marshall in the 90s and Georgia Southern in the 80s for a few (not all) of their championships.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »

3 NC's in 4 years

I agree.
But maybe the blowout wins and huge margins of victory was something he was talking about too. We won a lot of playoff games back then by 1,3,5,7 points.