Author Topic: NDSU in a class by itself  (Read 16706 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU in a class by itself
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »
As miley said.....and we wont stop....and we cant stop...lol

Spiderlegs

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »
Hard to compare today's NDSU and YSU of the 1990s solely on record and margin of victory. The FCS was a higher level of competition then than it is today.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Hard to compare today's NDSU and YSU of the 1990s solely on record and margin of victory. The FCS was a higher level of competition then than it is today.

Very good point, several of the stronger programs at that time have moved to 1A, the division is diluted. You just cannot really compare teams from different decades.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Lets_Talk

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Yes, several teams have moved to FBS. But, there are schools who have since started or re-started football at the FCS level, not too mention teams that had success at the D2 level who have moved to FCS. Among those former D2 schools are South Dakota, South Dakota State, and a school in Fargo, ND named NORTH DAKOTA STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... All 3 are in the MVFC, and YSU has not yet beaten SDSU since they joined the conference, and has only 1 win over NDSU... YSU did beat SDSU in 2007, the season before SDSU joined the MVFC.

Other teams of note:

*Jacksonville State is a quality FCS program that made the jump from D2 to FCS in 1997
*Coastal Carolina has become a quality FCS program, even though they just started football in 2004.
*Central Arkansas made the jump from D2 to FCS in 2006, and has become a top-tier Southlan Conference program.
*SE Louisiana reinstated football in 2003, after not having a program from 86-2002. This season, SELA was the #4 seed in the FCS playoffs, and won the Southland Conference Title

*Stony Brook just became a full scholarship FCS program in 2007, and is now a member of the CAA. They  made the playoffs 2 times while in the Big South(2011 and 2012). In 2012, Stony Brook beat FBS Army, and also won a 1st round playoff game against Villanova. By no means is Stony Brook a top tier FCS program, but they have had some success in their brief time at the FCS level, and being a member of the CAA holds potential for them to develop into a quality FCS program

*Wofford - 1st full season in FCS was 1997. Still remember when they played YSU in 1996 while in probationary status in their move to FCS. I had no idea how to even pronounce the school's name. Woffor plays in the So-Con, and has made the playoffs 6 times from 2003-2012. For those counting, that is FIVE more appearances than YSU over the same time span.

Hard to make the FCS is now "watered down" argument, given YSU's lack of success against SDSU(1-6) and NDSU(1-5) since each school moved to FCS, plus YSU making the playoffs only 1 time in the last 13 years.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:41:52 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »
I stand by the diluted statement, YSU's success against the prairie schools has nothing to do with it.

ndsu certainly has made a statement recently, but they are it, you mention several other schools and time may prove me wrong but at this point they do not disprove my diluted statement

Coastal Carolina and Central Arkansas may be decent programs but they do not exactly send the fear of God to anyone.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »
YSU has beaten NDSU more than once but I'm not sure if they were in the conference then---it was a few years back that we beat them @ Stambaugh and another time @ Stambaugh we would've  had them beat but instead of running the clock down before kicking the go ahead fg we elected to throw a couple passes and gave them a minute to beat us as time expired--we also beat them in Fargo  2years ago.Don't get me wrong they are an awesome team but without our qb I expected them to beat us by @ least 50 this year.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
YSU has beaten NDSU more than once but I'm not sure if they were in the conference then---it was a few years back that we beat them @ Stambaugh and another time @ Stambaugh we would've  had them beat but instead of running the clock down before kicking the go ahead fg we elected to throw a couple passes and gave them a minute to beat us as time expired--we also beat them in Fargo  2years ago.Don't get me wrong they are an awesome team but without our qb I expected them to beat us by @ least 50 this year.

Without kid choke we might just have a shot against a team at the full scholarship level above .500  8)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
David S, I stand corrected on NDSU -vs- YSU. The series is tied 3-3 since NDSU joined the MVFC, with NDSU winning 3 of the last 4 games. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

While NDSU did not beat YSU by 50 points, they did win by 18 points, and the game was never really in doubt at any point in the 2nd half.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Just an FYI ...this is not the first time we were in the same conference as NDSU.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
David S, I stand corrected on NDSU -vs- YSU. The series is tied 3-3 since NDSU joined the MVFC, with NDSU winning 3 of the last 4 games. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

While NDSU did not beat YSU by 50 points, they did win by 18 points, and the game was never really in doubt at any point in the 2nd half.
Neither one of our backup qb's had any experience so the game should not of been in doubt @ any point in the first half either.Not trying to glorify Hess but rather point out that our back-ups with basically no experience had to face mighty NDSU.Had the Hess that showed up vs. ILS played I think it would've been a ballgame even with our defense-- but as we know woulda,coulda,shoulda is meaningless.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:20:30 AM by DavedS »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
Just an FYI ...this is not the first time we were in the same conference as NDSU.

My apologies ...I just looked it does not look like NDSU was ever in the Mid-Continent Conference with us. I know that UNI, EIU, WIU and Akron were in there.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
Geo southern & Appy st moved to fbs just this year.  NDSU had to go thru them last 2 years so give us some credit .  Who else is gone from 90's run?     Nobody as good as those 2 programs (marshall and troy?)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
Boise State, Nevada, Central Florida, UCONN were regulars in the 90s too
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:14:01 PM by goodnews »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile