Author Topic: YSU basketball at UMKC  (Read 16752 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU basketball at UMKC
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »
The cowards won't fire Slocum though, because he led the team to a tournament nobody cared about last year....

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
that would be the tom, dick and harry tournament. to them it's a sign of success.

when hiring young coaches not only do you need to be able to identify talent you also need some luck

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »
Isn't throwing more money at the problem what was done with the football team??  that worked out  ???  There is but one choice when hiring coaches at the low-mid-major level, young coaches with a chip on their shoulder.  those are the coaches willing to be paid minimally for the chance to prove themselves a greater commodity.  That takes talent identification.  That is a skill that is not very common.
Great point. We emptied the till for the new football coach and have gotten four years of empty promises and late-season collapses. But that's ok for some--we are "headed" in the right direction. Laughable.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
I actually spoke to Ron Strollo about Slocum 2 years ago. Ron's thinking on the issue of keeping Slocum was very sound, in my opinion. Ron was not going to get rid of Slocum just to get rid of him. Slocum has done a very good job rebuilding the program. His program is in compliance with NCAA rules. He likes it at YSU. Yes, there are likely some coach's who could do better at YSU than Slocum, but not likely any of them would come to YSU for what Slocum is paid and has to deal with. And, based on the money YSU pays the HC and the money available for assistants, recruiting, travel...etc, people are not exactly beating down the door to coach basketball at YSU. Especially with the school's reputation as a football school, where basketball is a distant second.

Ron also said, that as far as the school administration was concerned, there was no reason to change anything with basketball. Dr. Anderson did not attend many games. Members of the Board and Dr. Anderson were not getting complaints about Slocum from fans and donors, so as far as they were concerned, things were fine and dandy with mens basketball.

Believe what you want, but Ron Strollo wants to have a quality basketball program. However, he does not control the purse strings. Or, more accurately, he does not control how much money goes into the purse. And, the basketball program does not really have much as far as "sugar daddie's/sugar momma's" (My words). Personally, I do not think the issue for Slocum is how much he get's paid. The 2 main problems I see are with the lack of $$$$ for recruiting, and scheduling quality OOC home games. This money is needed to recruit more quality players. The problem for YSU is lack of depth. That has been the case for many years. And, yes, more money for recruiting would help Slocum have a team that can go 7-8 deep, rather than a solid starting 5, and then a steep drop off down the rest of the roster.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:27:31 PM by Lets_Talk »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
Re: lack of depth.  Specifically, lack of depth in the post. The guards are actually quite good.  I'm not sure, though, the one can separate recruiting from coaching since the coach is in charge of recruiting. Makes me wonder if YSU shouldn't just do the run-and-shot, wear down its opponents, and ignore the inside game altogether.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »
So from what I gather, everyone agrees YSU needs to make further financial investments in the basketball program.

YSU made a financial investment, above and beyond what the budget calls for last year getting into a post season tournament. Keep in mind YSU has NEVER made a men's post season tournament in Division I history. You Yahoos, the same ones demanding we make a larger investment into our basketball program, degrade the tournament and call it meaningless. This just proved my point further, that you all will scream and yell no matter what. It's the Youngstown mentality to complain, complain, complain. Meanwhile, you all offer no educated opinions to improve the tournament.

BTW here's a list of participants in the "Tom Dick and Harry Tournament"

Drake, Kent State, Belmont, Mt. St. Mary's, Missouri State, Creighton, Southern Miss, George Mason, SMU, Northern Iowa, Valpo, Ohio, Indiana State.

Those are some pretty awful basketball schools that we made a financial investment to get onto the same level as...
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating