Author Topic: YSU basketball at UMKC  (Read 16749 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU basketball at UMKC
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Can I start a Fire Slocum thread yet???  ;D

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
we are the hamburger helper of the college basketball world. does it get any worse than that? next time I go to a game I am going to take some hamburger helper with me and pass it out to everyone.

maybe ysu should contact hamburger helper and see if they want to be a sposor

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
Where's IP? Slocum is his boy....
I'm right here slimeball. Getting ready to pull my car into McDonald's so you and Wolford can wait on me.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
Where's IP? Slocum is his boy....
I'm right here slimeball. Getting ready to pull my car into McDonald's so you and Wolford can wait on me.

Lol Slocum will be there soon enough. Go ahead and try and explain this loss. Please

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:36 AM »
This loss is compliments of AD Ron (" We don't try to win championships  at YSU" ) Strollo.

More of the same.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 09:01:51 AM »
Yes it is a bad loss. No question. But like Indy says, every time YSU wins--KP is great, DJ Cole played great, we play great offense, we are exciting to watch, etc., etc.  And as soon as we lose, Slocum needs fired. You can't have it both ways just because you don't like the man. Is Slocum the second coming of John Wooden--no. But there are assistants in the Horizon League who make more money. You want a high priced coach--pony up some money. Paladin, instead of walking around the tailgate lot looking for free food--join the Penguin Club and put you money where your mouth is. Then you can tell Strollo to his face what you think of him.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »
paladin, I agree with you about Ron Strollo, but the board of trustees and the president(s) are as much to blame if not more so. YSU athletics are bad for two reasons. One, there is no money. Two, there is incompetence throughout the administration.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
Money is tight, no doubt about that.  But our main problem is DISTRIBUTION of the available money.  I know you are sick of hearing this, and I am sick of saying it.  But we maintain a large stable of athletic administrators (some of whom are incompetent) and we pay bargain basement salaries to coaches.  It is insane and horribly counterproductive.  Eliminate half the dead wood in the administrative offices and we would easily be able to pay the MAC average to a basketball coach.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
For the Umpteenth time, IP, I AM in the Penguin Club. Tickets are bought under one guys name ( not mine and he lives in Cleveland) and myself and another former coach pay  the money thru him. Been doing this for over 20 years. The Red seats are very bad now, worse than before. And I'm not looking for food  as I have to watch what I eat ( cut down on salt foods).  Just there if I come   to see who might be there and whats happening. I rarely stay long anymore and head to the seats to meet the guys, all coming from different directions.

I'm not sure how much longer we are coming. Athletics suck, prices keep going up and nothing changes.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
We lost to austin peay and umkc who both suck.   Same old sh** different season.   Has anyone noticed we are avg. Just 1,000 fans a game in basketball this year.  Everyone in the administration needs fired.   Mr. Dunn needs to take action before we have force him too.   Finally, it is nice to see wisconsin-green bay play two major teams at home this year while we watch us play theil. Nice job strollo.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
Been saying it for awhile now, will continue to say it. This program will go nowhere until Slocum is gone. How long are we gonna stick with him??? I mean c'mon. If it weren't for KP, this team would be SO much worse. I understand the school,doesn't have the money to pay anyone else.... I would give assistant coach Steve Hall a shot. He's the reason recruiting has picked up, especially in the Detroit area. Was a great high school player in Detroit and had a solid college career at Virginia Tech. Time for retirement Jerry.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »
at the end of the day how much money a coach makes shouldn't determine whether or not he is a good coach. you either are a good coach or you are not regardless of salary. coach slocum has proven he can't do it at this level. the stage is a little too big for him.

unfortunately ysu wont fire him because they gave him an extension. we are stuck with this for at least a few more seasons

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
I would like to know why slocum got an extension in the first place?? was it because he made the tom, dick and harry tournament last year?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
If Slocum is fired, than he will be replaced with a Hill-Martin-Heacock clone. Guaranteed.  The YSU Athletic Department needs an overhaul.  It needs accountability.  If the purpose of the Athletic Department is simply to provide an athletic component to the collegiate experience of a select few students, than that should be made clear.    Keeping the same people in charge will continue to provide the same results.  If the goal is to win championships, than indeed an overhaul is necessary.  If there truly is gross overstaffing of the Athletic Department, and that overstaffing is diverting resources from coaches salaries and recruiting, than that is scandalous.  If President Dunn does not address this gross misuse of public and University resources, than he is as culpable as Strollo himself.

So DJ Cole was injured for Austin Peay, and otherwise they would've won, or so I'm told.  What was the excuse for the UMKC loss?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »
Isn't throwing more money at the problem what was done with the football team??  that worked out  ???  There is but one choice when hiring coaches at the low-mid-major level, young coaches with a chip on their shoulder.  those are the coaches willing to be paid minimally for the chance to prove themselves a greater commodity.  That takes talent identification.  That is a skill that is not very common.