Author Topic: Future football game with Robert Morris  (Read 10184 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Future football game with Robert Morris
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
The Robert Morris Rivals site indicates they have a future (not 2014) football game with YSU.

Surprised to see they have a home game in 2014 with Eastern Kentucky in their 3,000 seat stadium.

http://robertmorris.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1219&CID=1586355

As John Banaszak moves into the head coaching job at Robert Morris in the wake of Joe Walton's retirement, ColonialsCorner caught up with him to talk about the dawn of a new era. This is the final part of a three-part series. You can read part one here and see what Banaszak's mindset is as he moves into the job. Part two focused on Banaszak's changes to the program , including a new offense.

Even after March 19, 2013 came and went, John Banaszak couldn't get the sights he saw that night out of his mind.

Not only did the Robert Morris football coach have a front row seat for the basketball team's upset of Kentucky, but he came away thrilled at the sight of the sea of red in the stands, a packed house full of vocal, crazed Robert Morris students.

That sea of red never really reached the shores of Joe Walton Stadium the next fall, and Banaszak is out to do something about it.

"We've got to have a sea of red in these stands. To be honest, I was very disappointed with our fan support this past season," Banaszak said. "That's not going to happen again. These students on this campus are looking for things to do. Come and see us play. Come and enjoy that college football atmosphere. We're not going to be on ESPN Game Day, but we can make that special."

Among his other tasks now that's he head coach, Banaszak's added the challenge of engaging the students and getting them to fill the stands for every home game. Part of the challenge is fighting the remnants of Robert Morris' commuter school base, which has long been a challenge for the school's athletic department. But Banaszak also knows that part of it is his football team holding up its end of the bargain.

"We win the conference championship and go to the NCAA playoffs in 2010, we graduate 26 kids, and we go to 2-9. That stinks," Banaszak said. "Never going to be 2-9 again. We improved to 4-7, that stinks. That's not good enough. But we're still able to have great recruiting classes those two years. 5-6 with an opportunity to win the conference is an improvement, but it's still not where we need to be."

Banaszak's hopeful that a model built on recruiting quality players, letting them grow for a couple years, and then step into major roles as juniors and seniors will turn Robert Morris into a perennial contender. Smart scheduling will also play a factor, and he's going to continue to push for night games - which have traditionally sold out - when they're feasible.

"I think it has to be sprinkled in, only because of our conference. It's not really fair to have a Central Connecticut come in and play at night and they have to travel back," Banaszak said. "We've tried to implement a conference rule that when you go east to west or west to east, that you start those games at noon so you give them some travel time. But if St. Francis and Duquesne come here, we'll play them at night. We like those night games."

Banaszak also likes tough competition. Robert Morris will host Eastern Kentucky, which is exploring a move to the FBS level, on Thursday, August 28 to open the 2014 season. Robert Morris also has road games against Lafayette and North Dakota next year, plus future games against Youngstown State and South Dakota State.

Beyond that, Banaszak is also hoping to put together the program's first game against an FBS school. Wagner's played Syracuse and Florida Atlantic, while Duquesne will play Buffalo next year. Banaszak wants a piece of that pie.

"I would play a MAC school in a heartbeat," Banaszak said. He paused and laughed, "Maybe not Northern Illinois, though. They're pretty freakin' good."

"For us to take a trip to Kent State, for us to take a trip to Eastern Michigan, that's no different than going to Connecticut. Get into the BCS schools? Absolutely. I'd be crazy to pass that up," Banaszak continued. "Our recruiting philosophy includes that. That's quite a challenge for us. We're in the search of kids that have been offered by MAC schools. Those are the kids I want to compete against, those MAC schools. If I can steal 8-to-10 of those kids a year, that believe they should be playing at the BCS level, then I think I can compete when we do get that opportunity."

The number of FCS wins over FBS programs has increased in recent years, and that provides additional motivation for schools like Robert Morris, who now qualify as bowl counters.

"Youngstown State beat Pitt two years ago. I'll go to Pitt tomorrow and play them for $500,000," Banaszak said. "I'd be crazy not to. What that could do for us as a program?"

FBS opponents or not, the tougher schedule and push for increased support are part of Banaszak's plan to make Robert Morris a perennial contender in the Northeast Conference and potentially a significant pest throughout the FCS. Time will tell if it's possible, but Banaszak believes it is.

"There wouldn't be anything greater than winning a national championship for little old Robert Morris University. Who would ever believe that? Who would ever think that would be possible?" Banaszak said. "But I can tell you that I think it's a worthy goal. I think we can do that. If I didn't believe that, I shouldn't be sitting here."

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Future football game with Robert Morris
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Dana Balash tweets this game is September 12, 2015.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
We have to stop this scheduling madness.  It will force us to need to win the conference in order to get in to the playoffs adn as a fan, I don't like it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »
If this is a home game ...then I have no issue at all. Why so upset Power? Is the game in Pittsburgh? I cannot read the article as my free trial is over.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
If this is a home game ...then I have no issue at all. Why so upset Power? Is the game in Pittsburgh? I cannot read the article as my free trial is over.

home game per Balash's tweet.

I pasted the entire article in my first post (oops)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »
I think it would behoove YSU to play at least 1 OOC home game against a team from a FULL SCHOLARSHIP FCS conference. So, the OOC sched in an 11 game season would be as follows

$$$$ game against FBS
Home game again RMU, Dayton, Duquesne...etc
Home game against a mediocre FCS team... If YSU is concerned about losing to teams like SE Missouri, Tenn Tech, Austin Peay(now back in OVC), ANY team from the MEAC (I remember when YSU played at least 1 MEAC team) regularly in the regular season, VMI, Presbyterian..etc

This would help the SOS, and would also help prepare the team for the MVFC by playing a full scholarship FCS school. YSU could even get a bit more ambitious and try to play a higher level FCS team, but doing so would likely result in said school wanting a return game, and thus YSU having only 5 guaranteed home games. But, it also could be a way to revive some very good rivalries with schools like EKU, Delaware, Liberty, Villanova, Murray State, and even EIU. The first 4 mentioned here are all drivable road games for fans that make road trips. And, with a better OOC schedule, not only would YSU be better prepared for the MVFC, but it would go a long way toward stating a case when a bubble team. Especially with a win.

Making the playoffs in a 24 team field, almost guarantees YSU at least 1 home game, and that would make a 6th home game for people that purchase the loges in a season where YSU plays only 5 home games.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »
Mostly agreed, though I might prefer a good but not great FCS team like Villanova or Montana St. to a mediocre one.  Gotta take some risk. The issue here isn't scheduling Robert Morris--one pansy game is fine and lots of first rate FBS teams do this. The issue is the scheduling of three pansy games (and then telling ourselves how good we are).

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
I remember when one MEAC school almost cost us a title ...FLAMU.  VMI used to be in the SoCon ...is that what you mean Lets-talk? They are in the Big South now ...could not compete with the Big-3. The Big South is about 10-years old now. Presbyterian was NAIA just 10-years ago. They have been DI for 2-years now.

I think you meant SoCon, but I like your idea about playing a MEAC school. The problem there is that we will need to be part of some minority bowl to get a MEAC game these days. I remember that we were set to play that game in Browns Stadium several years ago against the BCCA champ. Then they backed out (I thought it was Hampton, Southern, or Grambling). Then Tennessee State agreed (which would have been a tough game back then for us). Some how everything fell apart and we could not make it happen.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »

The issue that I have with scheduling these teams is that the perceived SOS is low. I heard the UNI's AD (who sat on the committee) was highly critical of our OOC schedule of Duquense, Morehead State, MSU and Dayton. It is hearsay but it sounds likely. UNI's OOC schedule. UNI's was Drake, Northern Colorado, McNeese, and Iowa state.

We can t leave any doubt. As I have stated before. It is unfair that the only way we have been invited to the playoffs since JT was here has been if we win the conference. Other conferences field lesser playoff teams. I am a firm believer that if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, but how has our conference membership paid off for us?  NOT Good. We have never been given the benefit of the doubt in any scenario. We are criticized about our OOC schedule, but Meac, Southland,SWAC, and CAA can play the little sisters of the poor and still get the same number of teams in the playoffs.  An early game against a lesser opponent is fine, but you have to do something with the other 3 games. 1 has to be a BCS and the other two power conference teams.

We don't get any respect so we have to go throught the best to prove it. After watching the playoffs- Eastern Washington and NDSU will likely face off for the NC. I like EWU's chances too. We could beat most of the first and second round teams that went out. All but SDSU- and I'm still not convinced we lose to SDSU on a warm day. Unfortunatley we packed it in that last game. The players were more worried about being by the heaters than playing the next play. ,

One last thing-  playing lesser teams is not fun for the fans. There is everything to lose and hardly nothing to gain.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:09:58 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:58:53 AM »
I don't see us getting better opponents anytime soon.  The desire to play 7 home games is why we do this.  Strollo is chicken to play a road game against a quality FCS team.   I agree one game against a lesser opponent is ok and good for a good win and to play reserves but 3 out of 4 non-conf games is a bit too much.
Fans don't want to see these games at all.  YSU fans deserve better.  I predict season ticket sales will be much lower next year and perhaps the worst YSU has seen in many years.  Part of the 4 of us that have season tickets together two of them are not renewing for next season.  I remain loyal and will be at all the games but I can't speak for those who just had enough.

WAKE UP STOLLO AND LISTEN TO THE FANS! 

Spiderlegs

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »

All but SDSU- and I'm still not convinced we lose to SDSU on a warm day. Unfortunatley we packed it in that last game. The players were more worried about being by the heaters than playing the next play. ,

Yes, and teams in cold weather sites also plan their offenses and build their teams around the assumption that they will have to play games in which the elements matter. YSU does not seem to do this. That was a big difference between SDSU and YSU this year: The weather didn't faze SDSU like it did us.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:08:06 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
The scenario that Let's Talk outlined for an eleven game schedule is exactly what we should be doing.  Many MEAC schools constantly need funds.  NDSU "bought" a game with Delaware State this season.  We should do the same.  A full scholarship FCS opponent should always be our sixth home game and eleventh game overall.

I would add this suggestion for the years when twelve games are permitted.  Match up two of those years, whether they are consecutive or separated.  Schedule two game series with quality FCS opponents, like a Delaware and a Villanova, during those two years....one home and one on the road.  That would give us six home games and six road games (four each within the league, the road money game, the home game against a weak opponent, a home game against a quality opponent and a road game against a quality opponent.)  For example, for this past year the schedule could have looked like this: 8 league games, at Michigan State, home to Dayton, at Villanova, home to Delaware.  Go 8-4 with that schedule and we would have got in.  Continue to play three ooc weaklings and expect the same result.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »
Sorry, but the criteria changed. You could have played that schedule, lost your last 3 MVFC games, finished 8-4 and still sat at home. Reason -- not strength of schedule but that you lost the last 3. Its a no win situation. Every time YSU should be in the playoffs, "someone" comes up with "new criteria".

Lets_Talk

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
Spiderlegs, I agree with you about a quality OOC game against an FCS opponent. But, that seems to much for some to handle, which is why I suggested lesser teams from full scholarship conferences. Personally, I really like the idea of playing Nova, Delaware or EKU, even if it is home-away. I no longer live in Ytown, but when I did, I made trips to both EKU and UD. Very easy drive. I know Jaworski has a hotel in the Philly area, and it seems the times YSU has played at Nova, fans making the trip always seem to have a great time.

1AA fan, I realize VMI used to be in the SoCon, and that Presbyterian was never in the MEAC. That was a poor job of sentence structure on my part. Sorry about that.

Paladin, I respectfully disagree about YSU deserving to be in the playoffs this year. And, how a team plays their final 3-4 games has ALWAYS played a role in the at-large selections. I remember the 91 team. After the Homecoming loss to Liberty, I spoke with then Assistant Coach Herman Jackson, and the feeling was playoffs were likely out of the question. Was a bad loss, at home, and put YSU at 4-3. Then YSU went and beat defending champ Georgia Southern, won their final 3 games, and earned an at-large bid. Also, the selection committee now uses a so called simple rating formula/system, and YSU would not have made the field had the committee went strictly with this rating system. 2 teams below YSU got in as at-large, but 2 teams rated higher than YSU were left out.