Author Topic: Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State  (Read 30528 times)

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
Gotta win these types of games like tonight!!

ValleyTalk

Re: Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
Gotta win these types of games like tonight!!
Definitely need this one. They beat Southern Illinois, which is usually solid out of the MVC, so can't look past them.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
Defense in this half is aweful just like the football team.  Austin pey 64% shooting so far. Someone teach us defense please.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
Horrible loss to a subpar Ovc team.  Worst defense we have seen. We were a 12 pt favorite. Needs bigs bad.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »
APSU is a good inside team--YSU is not--so APSU had lots of inside shots all night.  The YSU offense was plenty good enough to offset this. IMO, the loss is on KP.  Although he had a great game, in the last five minutes he made some poor decisions--tried too much to be fancy and be the hero and didn't rely enough on his teammates.  He has some good shooters accompanying him--doesn't need to do it all himself.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:09:20 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
before each season I try to be optimistic about the bball program. my optimism last about the first 10 games then reality hits that we are going to stink yet again.  I know when we lose to Kent State that we will not be any good.  We will be good when we start beating Kent and Akron and teams like Pitt year in and year out. This will be another 15-16 win team and maybe another post season tournament that no one has ever heard of. Until we increase the bball budget a lot and get some better coaches this is all we can expect. Coach Slocum is okay but he is not great. I don't see any other schools lining up to pull him away from YSU.

Is it too much for YSU fans to have one program that doesn't blow?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »
Austin Peay finished dead last in the OVC last year, and is struggling in its pre-conference schedule this year.  It seems like the YSU MBB team has a lot of progress to make before they are able to make a run at a Horizon title.  I do like how the FT % is better than in years past, and the bench is deeper, but nights like tonight remind me of the mediocrity that is the hall mark of the Strollo era...oh that's right there are improvements on campus...no other school makes improvements in their facilities...
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »
These are games we can't afford to lose, especially at home.  We blast EKU on a neutral court, and can't take care of Austin Peay at home.  Are you kidding me?  Slocum has got to get these guys ready to take care of business at home.  I don't care if there is one person in the stands watching the game.  You've got to create a home court advantage. 

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
your right on penguin nation! I'm sick and tired of people that defend Strollo. Anytime people say he should be fired someone will defend him by saying "but he has made a lot of improvements to the facilities."

Is Strollo accountable to anyone at the university? or does no one care? I am starting to think that no one at the university cares that the sports programs overall stink.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
Tisha Hill.....Cindy Martin.....Jon Heacock's contract renewal after huge deterioration of the FB program.....

The AD is not held accountable for his decisions and his record, and the community pays the price.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
APSU is a good inside team--YSU is not--so APSU had lots of inside shots all night.  The YSU offense was plenty good enough to offset this. IMO, the loss is on KP.  Although he had a great game, in the last five minutes he made some poor decisions--tried too much to be fancy and be the hero and didn't rely enough on his teammates.  He has some good shooters accompanying him--doesn't need to do it all himself.
Agree with this because looking at the box score you had Hain and Weber with way too few attempts in the minutes they played.  We should have buried this team if we played like one. However the coaches should be telling our players what to do and not just letting them make the decisions i.e. KP.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 12:39:24 AM »
Slocum.... Choking early in the season

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
Trivia Question of the day:

Which Horizon League MBB team was the only one to lose last night?

?? ::)??

The eighth person to get it wrong wins the "Strollo Award for jus' gettin' by"

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
Slocum should have been gone 2-3 years ago but nobody wants to listen to me..... Losses like this hurt big time come later in the season.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
We are a mid major team without any inside game and this has been the norm for the past upteen years.  I find it hard to believe we cannot get any inside help being a mid major team.  Kent St. and now Austin Peay beat us up inside and won.  All teams are going to do that now against us.  What is our solution?  We have none.  We are 3-3 against Div. 1 teams.  Maybe we need to schedule more of the Thiel college variety so we can get those wins.