Author Topic: QB review  (Read 8513 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
QB review
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
Lets take a look at QB, the most important position for next  year, since Hess, 6'3, 230 will be gone. He set new records for passing at YSU but leaves without playing a single playoff game.  Often described as a "system" QB, was not quick and spent most time throwing and not running. Here's what back for next year--

Dante Nania, 6'0, 205, was the back-up. Short, an athletic QB who likes  to run and did in H.S., but also prone to what happens to running QBs -- injuries. I'm nervous when he throws as he'll throw in a crowd, doesn't always make all his reads and true arm strength is a question. While Montgomery calls plays, the QB often has options and decision making with Nania maybe his downfall. Not much experience.

Tanner Garry, 6'0, 200 was the 3rd team QB. He was a walk-on at BG who transferred here. Father was a H.S. coach. Has a live arm but lacks even more of ability   in making all his reads and makes poor decisions on who or where to throw the ball to.. Exhibits hotdog mentality which means his maturity level lacks for a strong, disciplined player on the field. Little experience.

Nick Wargo,6'3, 215, the 4th team QB. Played one year as a starter in H.S. No experience here. Was red-shirted. Lacks arm strength and doesn't make good reads. He look lost at times. Considered a project and probably a candidate for another position.

Ricky Davis, 6'3, 190, currently a Red-shirt. Played little in H.S. and transferred from Moeller to Fenwick to start for one year. Has some arm strength but accuracy and arm strength need work. Haven't seen enough to rate decision making abilities nor making his reads but can say he needs some work and might do with a couple of seasons of development.

YSU has a verbal from Hunter Wells, 6'4, about 175 . He set records in Stark Co. but played at a D-V H.S. with less than quality competition. Lacks arm strength and overall body strength. Needs a serious weight program for several years. Played in an O where he made few reads. Will not be used to the speed and abilities at this level. My evaluation is he is a project. Expect him to red -shirt.

My advice to the coaching staff -- beat the bushes for a Juco QB or find a quality transfer who isn't  getting playing time but has the abilities. Montgomery needs to evaluate what we can realistically do here next year and consider making wholesale changes to work with what limited talent is here now. Hint -- heavy run game, play action passes off the run game, waggle and delay patterns. Throw more to your backs. Use a ball control attack running  & passing with short passing game, screens, etc. May need to take more time off the clock and not worry with how many plays you can run quickly. Next year is going to be really different. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB review
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:46:35 PM »
Paladin, If you had to take a guess from this group who the front runner is, who would you pick???

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
That's the scary part........... I don't see a clear #1. They all have faults, lack experience and I can't use the O system used this year to project a starter for next year with the talent that's here now. Montgomery will have to change the O. It simply doesn't fit the talent. You might ( MIGHT), get a player after several years of development out of the group but that's why a QB from a JUCO or transfer who gives you a couple of years allows the QB time to develop and then play.

Spring ball will go a long way in determining  the answer to your question. If pressed, I'd say that Davis and Garry will fight it out but we'll drop off in wins  next year no matter which one wins.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
That's the scary part........... I don't see a clear #1. They all have faults, lack experience and I can't use the O system used this year to project a starter for next year with the talent that's here now. Montgomery will have to change the O. It simply doesn't fit the talent. You might ( MIGHT), get a player after several years of development out of the group but that's why a QB from a JUCO or transfer who gives you a couple of years allows the QB time to develop and then play.

Spring ball will go a long way in determining  the answer to your question. If pressed, I'd say that Davis and Garry will fight it out but we'll drop off in wins  next year no matter which one wins.

Agree with everything you said

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
Lets take a look at QB, the most important position for next  year, since Hess, 6'3, 230 will be gone. He set new records for passing at YSU but leaves without playing a single playoff game.  Often described as a "system" QB, was not quick and spent most time throwing and not running. Here's what back for next year--

Dante Nania, 6'0, 205, was the back-up. Short, an athletic QB who likes  to run and did in H.S., but also prone to what happens to running QBs -- injuries. I'm nervous when he throws as he'll throw in a crowd, doesn't always make all his reads and true arm strength is a question. While Montgomery calls plays, the QB often has options and decision making with Nania maybe his downfall. Not much experience.

Tanner Garry, 6'0, 200 was the 3rd team QB. He was a walk-on at BG who transferred here. Father was a H.S. coach. Has a live arm but lacks even more of ability   in making all his reads and makes poor decisions on who or where to throw the ball to.. Exhibits hotdog mentality which means his maturity level lacks for a strong, disciplined player on the field. Little experience.

Nick Wargo,6'3, 215, the 4th team QB. Played one year as a starter in H.S. No experience here. Was red-shirted. Lacks arm strength and doesn't make good reads. He look lost at times. Considered a project and probably a candidate for another position.

Ricky Davis, 6'3, 190, currently a Red-shirt. Played little in H.S. and transferred from Moeller to Fenwick to start for one year. Has some arm strength but accuracy and arm strength need work. Haven't seen enough to rate decision making abilities nor making his reads but can say he needs some work and might do with a couple of seasons of development.

YSU has a verbal from Hunter Wells, 6'4, about 175 . He set records in Stark Co. but played at a D-V H.S. with less than quality competition. Lacks arm strength and overall body strength. Needs a serious weight program for several years. Played in an O where he made few reads. Will not be used to the speed and abilities at this level. My evaluation is he is a project. Expect him to red -shirt.

My advice to the coaching staff -- beat the bushes for a Juco QB or find a quality transfer who isn't  getting playing time but has the abilities. Montgomery needs to evaluate what we can realistically do here next year and consider making wholesale changes to work with what limited talent is here now. Hint -- heavy run game, play action passes off the run game, waggle and delay patterns. Throw more to your backs. Use a ball control attack running  & passing with short passing game, screens, etc. May need to take more time off the clock and not worry with how many plays you can run quickly. Next year is going to be really different.

Ok.. I don't know enough about any of the names here to agree or disagree.. So I'm just going to be blunt.. "IF" they are as bad as you say they are why in the hell is this great recruiting GOD wasting schollies on them  :o

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »
For what this is worth, Wolford was quoted in the Vindicator on Monday talking about recruiting for next season.  In his own words: "Our recruiting has probably been the best we've had as far as guys being committed (early.)  Every year we try to sign someone better than what we have.  I'm trying to sign a guy better than Martin Ruiz.  And I'm trying to sign a guy better than Ricky Davis.  And the same thing across the board."  That certainly indicates that Ricky Davis is the frontrunner.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
If that's what Wolf said, then I wasn't far off. I just don't see him with the same skill set as Hess. Hence a change in plays we will be running next year. But, he 'll be raw  as he has no playing experience at this level and played little in H.S.

And Red, lay off the sauce . I didn't say anyone was bad per se, but I don't see the talent level as high as we have had with Hess. They each have their faults . And I remind you that there will only be a first & second team All MVFC QB. THat doesn't make the other 8 Qbs and their back-ups chopped liver. Recruiting here has been slow but steadily better. The whole team has  had a make-over . And they have taken a QB every year but I don't see we have what we need yet.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
My reaction is the same as Wick250--Ricky Davis is the frontrunner unless someone better comes along. Who knows who this is. Garry is a solid backup.

I disagree with the JUCO idea.  There will be a learning curve regardless who is in the position next year. Unless we find the next Aaron Rodgers out there in community college and, it's better to invest time in a four-year student than a two-year one. Let's just accept that there will be a transition next year and move along.

This is no crisis and is fairly normal for college football.  If the running game can be established (depends on the blocking--we have the backs), then there is less pressure on the QB. The key is how the coaching staff deals with this: Having two decent young QBs (Davis and Garry), will it actually develop both them and have one ready to take over when the other falls? Succession is part of the planning, and the failure to develop a successor rests with W. However, if it has been Davis all along, then what W. has done makes sense.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
If that's what Wolf said, then I wasn't far off. I just don't see him with the same skill set as Hess. Hence a change in plays we will be running next year. But, he 'll be raw  as he has no playing experience at this level and played little in H.S.

And Red, lay off the sauce . I didn't say anyone was bad per se, but I don't see the talent level as high as we have had with Hess. They each have their faults . And I remind you that there will only be a first & second team All MVFC QB. THat doesn't make the other 8 Qbs and their back-ups chopped liver. Recruiting here has been slow but steadily better. The whole team has  had a make-over . And they have taken a QB every year but I don't see we have what we need yet.

No sauce today YET ole pally... Just saying your painting a picture of doom and gloom on the QB front. Replacing ole #12 "the choke artist" in huge games is not going to be as difficult as you think.  Also, it really shocks me how you went from hater to homer as fast as a 2014 Cobra KR500 goes from 0-60 with a coaching change.  Still think your tops on you player evals  ;D

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
can't rely on talent alone. we need a leader at QB. we need someone  who knows how to win. someone with heart.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
can't rely on talent alone. we need a leader at QB. we need someone  who knows how to win. someone with heart.

You sir are a genius!! =1^^

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »
Red-- always remember, I call 'em as I see them.  Homer or hater I'm not. Just a fan who tries to speak the truth in a world of deceit. When they are good, I'll say so. When we got stinkers, I'll point that out too. Some people can't look in a mirror and see anything but what they want to see.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
I am way more concerned about defense than QB.

We got shredded the last 2 weeks. No pass rush, crap tackling, getting beat to the boundaries, poor coverage.

We can win plenty of games if we get any of the QB's to be average.

If we can't stop the physical teams in our conference we're looking at 4th or 5th place and sitting home Thanksgiving weekend.

If we're going to beat the bushes for transfers and JUCO's lets do it on that side of the ball.

All that being said I also think it's Davis' job to lose.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
I was at the scrimmage today and I thought the defense looked very much improved over last year. There were many stops by the D that I don't think they would of made last year.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
They will be trying to settled in on an OL and that  will take all spring. As I expected, they are going to run the ball with the QB this year and cut back on the passing game. That, at least in the beginning, will favor Nania. However, I expect as the season opens, if it doesn't happen earlier, Nania will get early starts against YSU's weenie schedule while I  expect to see Davis becoming the starter before the MVFC begins . Injury could change this. All fans will need to understand that if you run your QB in today's game, you better be prepared as most get hurt and so you'll need to have a couple ready to play. 

Didn't make the scrimmage today and I wouldn't get too excited. They may look good against themselves but have a long way to go to be ready for the MVFC  wars.

I repeat -- they have to stay healthy on both sides of the ball.