Author Topic: This one really stings for some reason!!  (Read 14751 times)

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
This one really stings for some reason!!
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »
Just can't seem to shake not making the playoffs this year.  I guess I should be used to it by now, but I figured this year we could make another run, just very disappointing to say the least! I remember the teams of the 90's but I was too young to really appreciate it. Just want to experience that again as an adult, where I can really take in the moment and enjoy it. GO GUINS!!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: This one really stings for some reason!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:47 AM »
Teams that were invited to the post-season:

1.  Furman (7-5), lost to Elon (2-10)
2.  Lafayette (5-6)
3.  New Hampshire (7-4)
4.  Sam Houston State (8-4), lost last two games by a collective margin of 31 points.
5.  Southern Utah  (8-4)
6.  Samford (8-4)

and a team with an MVFC schedule, also 8-4, gets excluded.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:53 AM »
UNH, SHSU,and Souther Utah should have been behind us.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »
Teams that were invited to the post-season:

1.  Furman (7-5), lost to Elon (2-10)
2.  Lafayette (5-6)
3.  New Hampshire (7-4)
4.  Sam Houston State (8-4), lost last two games by a collective margin of 31 points.
5.  Southern Utah  (8-4)
6.  Samford (8-4)

and a team with an MVFC schedule, also 8-4, gets excluded.

Furman and Lafayette were automatic bids as SoCon and Patriot champions.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »
If the ultimate goal is another National Championship, then IMO we don't have the right coach in place.  I understand that a playoff bid might help recruiting a little bit but, even with a slight upgrade in talent, we will get out coached alot.  Wolf lost me during the NDSU game this year.  I agree it stings to not be in the playoffs but, we ALL know that we were not going to make a deep run this year.  The future once again looks cloudy.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:51 AM »
If the ultimate goal is another National Championship, then IMO we don't have the right coach in place.  I understand that a playoff bid might help recruiting a little bit but, even with a slight upgrade in talent, we will get out coached alot.  Wolf lost me during the NDSU game this year.  I agree it stings to not be in the playoffs but, we ALL know that we were not going to make a deep run this year.  The future once again looks cloudy.
You know how difficult it is to get us back to championship levels? We've seen that the playoff committee is going to do us no favors, so we are pretty much stuck now with either winning this league, which would require us beating NDSU, or finishing with 9 wins, which most years is extremely difficult with an 11 game schedule.

I truly believe that ocen we get to the playoffs, we can make a run at it. Sure our FCS Portion of our non scholarship schedule is weak, but our FBS game and the MVFC tilt prepares us better than these teams out of the other leagues.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
After losing the last two the way we did it was clear that we would not win the NC.  I didn't think we deserved the playoffs because of how we lost and how we played and how we coached, but after looking a the field of teams, especially the non autobid teams like Southern Utah, UNH, Jaskonville, and SHSU, YSU had the resume that was needed to get in. UNi and SIU also had good cases and at least one or two of us should have been there.  All of the MVFC teams had better resumes.

The selection committee needs to be tracked down and held accountable for their decisions and failure to follow established protocol. They cannot be allowed to change the rules to fit the teams they want in the playoff  games. Bourne said that the selection process started many weeks ago-yes it sure did, it started by them trying to find a way to leave the MVFC teams out of the field. We clearly play in the toughest conference and the excuses were sorry. They have now added winning league games (with no quantity listed) and how you played vs DIV1A (BCS) competition into the formula. UNI beat their FBS opponent, had 7 division 1 wins and a very good OOC win against McNeese State (a playoff team) and was left out becuase why?  The answer-They didn't win enough league games. YSU won league games but they lost their last 3.  They stated that you have to have "momentum".  They have used that one on us in the past, more specifically 2005 and 2007, but SHSU lost their last two and they were allowed in.

They have held YSU to a higher standard now for years, but this year it was applied tothe entire MVFC. The AD's have to be going nuts. We need to protest so that the process is fair and there is a way to do that. You set up a matrix with all of the requirements and you weight each componenent so winning 7 div 1  games is worth 7 points 8 games 8 etc.. You pick the wins as the highes factor so that number get multiplied by 10, next factor is the GpI, the next is the won lost record of your opponenets each has a lower factor etc, etc.  You can then fairly differentiate the teams that deserve to be in vs the ones that don't deserve to be in.

If there was any year we deserved to get in, it was this year. The sting got me a few days later.   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:34:01 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
You know how difficult it is to get us back to championship levels? We've seen that the playoff committee is going to do us no favors, so we are pretty much stuck now with either winning this league, which would require us beating NDSU, or finishing with 9 wins, which most years is extremely difficult with an 11 game schedule.

I truly believe that ocen we get to the playoffs, we can make a run at it. Sure our FCS Portion of our non scholarship schedule is weak, but our FBS game and the MVFC tilt prepares us better than these teams out of the other leagues.

I do not agree. This is why I was upset with the change in the first place. Do you know how long it takes a coach to get into the play-off? ..then double that to refine your coaching skills enough to make an honest run. Coach T made a very nice adjustment in only a couple of years ...that is rare. It is a skill that does not come with coaches that step down from IA/FBS. You need to work on special plays, formations and such in summer & spring. Then not use those again until you need them in the post season. Very hard to find the time to do. Tressel did not have a conference to worry about. This is why the luxury of a "light" schedule is great to have.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:25:12 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
By the looks of things below, I'd say the cards were stacked against us LOL!! Anyways can't cry over spilled milk. Roar out to 8-1 with a front loaded weak schedule and finish with the 3 best teams in conference and lose each week looking worse each time. This team and coaching staff had 3 chances to get it done and could not pull it off. I'd say the committee got it right not taking the Guins..

I'd like to see the playoff's go to the best 16 teams period.. No auto bids.

Or another choice someone suggested on AGS was to only take the 11 Conference champs  :-\

Any way you slice it, I believe YSU gets the short end from the Tressel era of misconduct.. and he's been gone for awhile  :(

Here's the committee this year:

Jeff Barber, director of athletics at Liberty University.

Torre Chisholm, director of athletics at Portland State University.

Troy Dannen, director of Athletics at the University of Northern Iowa.

Robert Hill, director of athletics at Stephen F. Austin State University.

Brian Hutchinson, director of athletics at Morehead State University.

Charlene M. Johnson, director of athletics at South Carolina State University.

Richard Johnson, director of athletics at Wofford College.

Frank McLaughlin, associate vice president at Fordham University.

Paul Schlickmann, director of athletics at Central Connecticut State University.

Mark Wilson, director of athletics at Tennessee Technological University.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
I'm not convinced by these conspiracy theories. I find it more likely to believe the rumor that some of the selection committee actually watched the SDSU game and came away unimpressed with what they saw. You know, the game that was so bad that even some YSU fans booed when the team left the field at half time. We keep ignoring how badly Wolford & Co. messed up . YSU football will never improve if we keep blaming others for YSU's obvious mistakes.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
I'm not convinced by these conspiracy theories. I find it more likely to believe the rumor that some of the selection committee actually watched the SDSU game and came away unimpressed with what they saw. You know, the game that was so bad that even some YSU fans booed when the team left the field at half time. We keep ignoring how badly Wolford & Co. messed up . YSU football will never improve if we keep blaming others for YSU's obvious mistakes.

Thank you.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »

I still believe there is a cloud over YSU from the Tres area. A conspiracy to keep YSU out of the playoff? Nooo... but It's still a talking point in the 1 FCS world.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
By the looks of things below, I'd say the cards were stacked against us LOL!! Anyways can't cry over spilled milk. Roar out to 8-1 with a front loaded weak schedule and finish with the 3 best teams in conference and lose each week looking worse each time. This team and coaching staff had 3 chances to get it done and could not pull it off. I'd say the committee got it right not taking the Guins..

I'd like to see the playoff's go to the best 16 teams period.. No auto bids.

Or another choice someone suggested on AGS was to only take the 11 Conference champs  :-\

Any way you slice it, I believe YSU gets the short end from the Tressel era of misconduct.. and he's been gone for awhile  :(

Here's the committee this year:

Paul Schlickmann, director of athletics at Central Connecticut State University.

jbarber2@liberty.edu

chisholm@pdx.edu

troy.dannen@uni.edu

rhill@sfasu.edu

b.hutchinson@moreheadstate.edu

cmjohnson@scsu.edu

athletics@wofford.edu  This guy appraently screens his email thru his secretary

fmclaughlin@fordham.edu

paul.schlickmann@ccsu.edu

MWilson@tntech.edu

Jeff Bourne
bournejt@jmu.edu

There is the contact information.  A nicley worded mass email should be sent to address accountability.  Jeff Bourne looks to be the main issue since he is from James Madison.  Enough Said there.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
yeah that oughta do it.  Mass email the committee and ask them why a team that folded up the card table 3 weeks from the money round, didn't get in to the playoffs.  That shouldn't hurt the stigma of YSU or the surrounding fans at all.    :o

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
yeah that oughta do it.  Mass email the committee and ask them why a team that folded up the card table 3 weeks from the money round, didn't get in to the playoffs.  That shouldn't hurt the stigma of YSU or the surrounding fans at all.    :o

Bourne said you had to be winning your final games, but the took SHSU who had less division 1 wins and lost 2 games. The issue is that they changed the rules yet again. That is the issue. The MVFC deserved more than 2 teams. They could have taken UNI. They beat their fbs foe, they beat a highly ranked McNeese state team, they were ranked high in the GPI, the achieved 7 division 1 wins, they beat a ranked YSU team and none of their losses were blowouts. Instead the took 3 other less deserving teams. We still achieved 8 wins.  We still beat our OOC opponents.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:59:18 PM by penguinpower »