Author Topic: Marketing is so Small Time in Y-town  (Read 16820 times)

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Re: Marketing is so Small Time in Y-town
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
We rag on fargo marketing.....but we've come along ways plus espn gameday really helped.

But being in youngstown friday, at 4 different bars.  Saw 1 person in ysu apparel, not 1 bartender or bar had YSU swag up on walls etc.   Plenty osu garbage.

Your marketing team needs to hand out some free stuff.

To just say OSU would always be first is bs.   WVU was pretty damn good while Marshall was on top of the 1AA world with their run...............................Huntington and it's citizens were HERD NUTZ regardless.

I agree with my boy Lakes ,,,,,,,,,,  Bars love to get free stuff,,,,banners, lighted signs etc,,,,,,I would like to see a bar do a thing on Friday before games where anyone wearing YSU gear would get some kind of a deal on drinks.
I would actually LOVE to see a bar go TOTALLY YSU.  Now, you don't think that would grab some of us to patronize that joint?
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Hell our 2 Catholic schools draw better than YSU does.

That could not be further than the truth. I went to every Ursuline game this year and a handful of Mooney games. The only game those high schools had more than YSU was the homecoming monsoon vs. WIU.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »
Agree completely with Lakes...YSU should be over running the bars and restaurants in the Tri-County Area.  How many of you have been to the radio show on Thursday nights in a room that is no bigger than an outhouse at O'Charley's?  I think the room may hold 24 people....complete joke...that should be a major restaurant or take all of O'Charley and everyone working should be dressed in YSU uniforms, signs hanging everywhere, promoted specials, etc...or just cancel the thing...because it is an embarrassment.  As I posted before about the marketing of this program...it stinks...they think free tickets is the answer...

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
We rag on fargo marketing.....but we've come along ways plus espn gameday really helped.

But being in youngstown friday, at 4 different bars.  Saw 1 person in ysu apparel, not 1 bartender or bar had YSU swag up on walls etc.   Plenty osu garbage.

Your marketing team needs to hand out some free stuff.

osu garbage, you got that right

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »
Yah it's completely miserable. I went to the Petri Club on the southside a few weeks ago when we played South Dakota.  The bartender refused to put the game on the big screen because Ohio State was beating Purdue 49 to 0 and he couldn't change it. Then when the Notre Dame game came on they completely turned the sound off for the Notre Dame game. Lets just say I got up and walked out at halftime it's embarrassing. Why people in this town are obsesessed with Notre Dame I will never understand.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
Yah it's completely miserable. I went to the Petri Club on the southside a few weeks ago when we played South Dakota.  The bartender refused to put the game on the big screen because Ohio State was beating Purdue 49 to 0 and he couldn't change it. Then when the Notre Dame game came on they completely turned the sound off for the Notre Dame game. Lets just say I got up and walked out at halftime it's embarrassing. Why people in this town are obsesessed with Notre Dame I will never understand.
If you're raised Catholic, you should understand. I know plenty of Catholics locally that despise ND, but that is not necessarily the case nationwide.

The Mahoning Valley is heavily Catholic, thus you would expect a lot of ND fans... Now down in the Bible Belt, not nearly as many.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »
If you're raised Catholic, you should understand. I know plenty of Catholics locally that despise ND, but that is not necessarily the case nationwide.

The Mahoning Valley is heavily Catholic, thus you would expect a lot of ND fans... Now down in the Bible Belt, not nearly as many.

I am Catholic and now do not support Notre Dame in football or academically because of the honorary PhD that was given to the bafoon in the highest office. That was the last straw. He represents everything a practicing Catholic is against, and the University honored him. Nope- not going to support that.  Grandmother was 100% Irish therefore my father's family watched them on Saturday (including my father). I lost all support for them because of that. You had bishops from all over asking why this happened, and many of them said they couldn't stop it. Notre dame is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  They claim to be a cathiloc institutioin but no longer are.  Now I hope they lose every game.

I like my Penguins even with our inept marketing department. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:20:15 AM by penguinpower »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »

I am Catholic and now do not support Notre Dame in football or academically because of the honorary PhD that was given to the bafoon in the highest office. That was the last straw. He represents everything a practicing Catholic is against, and the University honored him. Nope- not going to support that.  Grandmother was 100% therefore  my father's family watched them on Saturday (including my father). I lost all support for them because of that. You had bishops from all over asking why this happened, and many of them said they couldn't stop it. Notre dame is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  They claim to be a cathiloc institutioin but no longer are. Now I hope they lose every game.

I like my Penguins even with our inept marketing department.
That pissed me off like crazy too... Cannot wait until the chosen one departs with his approval ratings near W levels due to this debacle of a health care law.

But YSU is my team before ND!

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
Yah I am aware of the strong Catholic community in the valley. I also am Catholic, I just don't think that Notre Dame should be put on in a bar over Youngstown State in Youngstown, to me that is garbage.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
Saw 1 person in ysu apparel, not 1 bartender or bar had YSU swag up on walls etc.

just don't think that Notre Dame should be put on in a bar over Youngstown State in Youngstown

3 questions:  How many YSU fans patronize area bars and wear their YSU apparel?
                      If a bar had YSU ''swag" on the walls and bartenders wearing YSU shirts, would they still have 
                      some other college game on the screen?
                      What bars / area would you target if you could?

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
The university fails not only in promoting their sports teams, they do VERY little to market themselves outside of the immediate area.  I see adds for Kent, Akron, BG, Cleveland State and even Marshall most all year.  I have NEVER seen a commercial  or billboard for YSU.

as an aside:  if Cleveland gets their new jumbotrons - could we get their old one to replace what is now in the stadium?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:00:43 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
The university fails not only in promoting their sports teams, they do VERY little to market themselves outside of the immediate area.  I see adds for Kent, Akron, BG, Cleveland State and even Marshall most all year.  I have NEVER seen a commercial  or billboard for YSU.

as an aside:  if Cleveland gets their new jumbotrons - could we get their old one to replace what is now in the stadium?

Lol good idea on the scoreboards. Ysu won't fork over the cash!!!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »
Cool that you guys heard me out...

Im just saying, we had a group of 8 last friday in youngstown...
hit  pourhouse, magic hat, odonnel's, V2 and some other dive across street.

saw zero YSU swag, 1 person came up to us at odonnel's (asked who lakes bison is.... they all laughed and pointed at me)

You guys have a great program, your tailgate lot seemed fun....time for the       zombies in youngstown to wake up!