Author Topic: Football Game Televised Saturday!  (Read 13459 times)

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Football Game Televised Saturday!
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
Why is the game televised on Saturday live?  This is a terrible idea. In my opinion the games shouldn't be televised until the stadium is sold out weekly.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football Game Televised Saturday!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »
Well,

I live out of town and this give me a chance to watch it.  I called some friends today and told them that they better get their ass to the game.  I also told them that if they didn't go because of the weather they were female cats.

This is a huge game.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
Why is the game televised on Saturday live?  This is a terrible idea. In my opinion the games shouldn't be televised until the stadium is sold out weekly.

Lol

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:02:23 AM »
Yah I agree it's good for people that live elsewhere. I just think here locally in Youngstown it shouldn't be televised live unless it's sold out.  It just opens the door for people to stay home.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »
Yah I agree it's good for people that live elsewhere. I just think here locally in Youngstown it shouldn't be televised live unless it's sold out.  It just opens the door for people to stay home.
I agree. I think the idea is to keep people interested locally. Thus, in the event we get a home playoff game, they actually show up!

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
Yah I agree.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
That is really stupid!!!  Why give the hand sitters the chance to watch it at home...now they can crochet all they want and sit down and watch the game...poor marketing...get it blocked in the YSU area!!!

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
same thing happens when espn televises the playoff games. on one hand YSU gets national exposure, but on the other hand people stay at home instead of coming to the game.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
I know that many of us dislike televising the games live in hopes of a larger crowd.  However, lets put ourselves in the athletics department shoes. 

With the projected weather of cold, wet, snow, etc. lets say we (now in the athletic dept, marketing, etc.) spend [insert your own $ figure here] in funds to hash out more than normal free tickets and put out a comercial to come down to the ICE CASTLE, or other marketing scheme you wish.  Do you really think that will attract more visitors for this game?  Will it give them (now us, we are in there shoes afterall) any benefit?

Now, lets say we put the game on TV.  I see no major downward shift in attendance, maybe down 1-2k (because really...they are fair weather fans).  Those fans are happy to watch the game in their own comfortable living rooms and it will hit a larger audience that are less-likely to come to a regular season game.  However, this group does buy playoff tickets and championship t-shirts.

Stay with me here...

I see both cases being similar benefit to YSU...yet the game will be channeled to a larger audience via WFMJ.  The costs and benefits (key to what happens next) will be readily determinable Saturday around 5:10pm.  A win will push more fans out to the stadium the next week and a loss (as many of you believe) would put us our of the playoff picture...and you can all start planning where to watch the OSU-Michigan game. 

Z

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
The fans that will be there Saturday will always be there . Give it up, this is as good as it gets . I sat thru many a playoff game in the 90's  & said where the hell are Youngstown fans ? Go YSU we will win !!!!!!!!! :(

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
You can say this is a bad idea all you want, but to my 90 some year old grandpa who is shacked up in assisted living, this game being on tv will be three of the greatest hours for this old YSU alum.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
I know that many of us dislike televising the games live in hopes of a larger crowd.  However, lets put ourselves in the athletics department shoes. 

With the projected weather of cold, wet, snow, etc. lets say we (now in the athletic dept, marketing, etc.) spend [insert your own $ figure here] in funds to hash out more than normal free tickets and put out a comercial to come down to the ICE CASTLE, or other marketing scheme you wish.  Do you really think that will attract more visitors for this game?  Will it give them (now us, we are in there shoes afterall) any benefit?

Now, lets say we put the game on TV.  I see no major downward shift in attendance, maybe down 1-2k (because really...they are fair weather fans).  Those fans are happy to watch the game in their own comfortable living rooms and it will hit a larger audience that are less-likely to come to a regular season game.  However, this group does buy playoff tickets and championship t-shirts.

Stay with me here...

I see both cases being similar benefit to YSU...yet the game will be channeled to a larger audience via WFMJ.  The costs and benefits (key to what happens next) will be readily determinable Saturday around 5:10pm.  A win will push more fans out to the stadium the next week and a loss (as many of you believe) would put us our of the playoff picture...and you can all start planning where to watch the OSU-Michigan game. 

Z

Then they need to do the YSU broacast in HD. Is it that much to ask in this day and age?

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »

Stay with me here...

Z

Then they need to do the YSU broacast in HD. Is it that much to ask in this day and age?
I'll give you a break since you live out of state. All the football and basketball games this school year are now broadcast in HD on MyYTV.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:44 PM »

Stay with me here...

Z

I'll give you a break since you live out of state. All the football and basketball games this school year are now broadcast in HD on MyYTV.

Wow!  Interesting. They haven't even been in HD on ESPN3.