Author Topic: Should YSU be an FCS independent?  (Read 19533 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Should YSU be an FCS independent?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
NDSU & YSU to the MAC ?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
Georgia Southern, U Mass, Marshall, Western Kentucky, App State.....all went to the FBS after an FCS championship. 

Imagine a Bisonless MVFC......think about it Penguin fans......
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
Common sense is lacking in this discussion.

There are very few non conference games between top FCS teams.  Teams like Delaware, Montana, etc are not about to step out of their conference schedule to play YSU in late October or November.

The Griz traveled to USD November 9th.

From 1989-1994, YSU entered the post-season every year as an independent.

No doubt it would have its challenges, as well as it's rewards.

1994 = 20 seasons ago.  A lot has changed since then. 

By my count there have been 2 FCS Independents make the playoffs since YSU made it in 1994:  Troy State in 1995 (moved to Southland next season) and Florida Atlantic in 2003 (moved to FBS in 2005).  So for the last 17 seasons (and this will make 18), 1 FCS Independent has made the playoffs. 

Again there is a reason no school of significance is a FCS Independent.  YSU is stuck in a hard place - not enough $ for the MAC and no full scholarship FCS schools nearby. But goiong Independent doesn't make it better.  Being a I-AA football independent worked for Georgia Southern and YSU in the late 80's and early 90's.  It doesn't work today.

I really don't see any rewards at all to FCS Independence.  What rewards do you see?  What schedule do you see YSU playing as an independent?  Remember that Strollo has said many times YSU needs six home games a year.  And check the out of conference schedules of any team you think YSU should play to see if they really do play full scholarship FCS teams in their out of conference. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »
I'll ask again.  Is MVFC membership worth paying a huge travel budget to remote locations to play teams that YSU fans care little about? 

The BSC gets 4 invites, the CAA and OVC and Southland all get three.  The MVFC...two...just like the MEAC.  Earlier I wrote that a return to Independent status was preferable, and I still believe that.  I'll add now that another conference affiliation will offer easier competition, a better record, MORE invites to the post-season, a lower travel budget, and possibly better attendence.  Maybe MVFC membership offers a recruiting advantage, but I doubt it.

This season, I marveled at how Fordham played a weak SOS, barely beats feeble programs, was ranked high in the polls and made the post-season with ease.  I was wondering if they were going to be seeded! With a season of Holy Cross's and Bucknell's, YSU would not have finished 8-4.

Seriously...someone tell me why MVFC memebership makes sense for YSU...   
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »
One reason.  Slippery Slope. As General Patton says "never pay for the same real-estate twice".  YSU football fought to get to the MVFC, and when a challenge presents itself, you rise to meet it.  When University of Miami Fl.  Had terrible seasons there was no talk of them moving to FCS...Northwestern has been bad for years.  No one says lets move down to FCS.  When somethings challenging making it easier does more harm than good.  Try recruiting to a place that has the stigma of giving up.  The only option is to fix it, and when success returns make another move up.  Up is the only way to survive and prosper, its a long term process.  Move down to make it easier, and you might as well abolish the sport at whatever respective school chooses that path.  Mediocrity is hungry, and has a big mouth.  You can either give up and get swallowed or hang on to the tongue and claw your way out.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »

I agree to some extent.  But YSU may become a stronger team outside of the MVFC.  It could be an upgrade despite weaker foes.  Success, such as playoff appearances, and better records, may breed more success, such as in recruiting. 

If YSU stays in the MVFC, they will have to be either conference champs or conference runners up to make the post-season.  Said another way, YSU will not likely make the post-season as an MVFC member anytime in the next several years.   

This topic is addressed also in AGS:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?148359-What-incentive-is-there-to-play-in-a-tough-league

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »

I agree to some extent.  But YSU may become a stronger team outside of the MVFC.  It could be an upgrade despite weaker foes.  Success, such as playoff appearances, and better records, may breed more success, such as in recruiting. 

If YSU stays in the MVFC, they will have to be either conference champs or conference runners up to make the post-season.  Said another way, YSU will not likely make the post-season as an MVFC member anytime in the next several years.   

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?148359-What-incentive-is-there-to-play-in-a-tough-league

If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best. The best can be a moving target from year to year. So you always want to have that stick to measure yourself with..... Correct?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »

If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best. The best can be a moving target from year to year. So you always want to have that stick to measure yourself with..... Correct?

NDSU is a whole level above all other FCS teams. We are not beating them out for an MVFC title anytime soon. That leaves one spot (two in a good year) for the remainder of the SEC of the FCS. 

YSU can more rapidly rise, and compete with the best, elsewhere.  Not getting into the post-season is costly to recruiting. 

In the MVFC, we are being denied the opportunity to play the best and beat the best..in the post-season.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
No on independent--that would be worse in terms of costs and reputation. If you follow the "change conference" theory, the closest conference option would be Northeast, but there would have to be negotiation about the scholarships (I think NEC has moved to 40).  They took Duquesne as a football-only school. Wouldn't be surprised if they would welcome YSU to improve the reputation of the conference. NEC gives YSU exposure in the east, and it also gives two nearby opponents--Duquesne and Robert Morris.  Since NEC welcomes single-sport affiliates, a switch to NEC would not mess up Horizon League relationship.  Not that I am advocating this, but I'm just point out what the option is.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »
No.....stupid

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »
Don't runaway!!!   Boooo. Lol

After a tough year for YSU and the day they find out their season is over, you post this?
No wonder everyone says you are a dick.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »

After a tough year for YSU and the day they find out their season is over, you post this?

He posted it over a week before we learned that the playoff selection committee declared that the MVFC only has as many playoff caliber teams as the MEAC.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »

He posted it over a week before we learned that the playoff selection committee declared that the MVFC only has as many playoff caliber teams as the MEAC.

People in the tailgate lot told me Lakes is a decent dude.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
why are NDSU fans care about YSU so much? do they want to be like us that bad?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
Penguin Nation,

We are stuck in a geographically unfavorable football conference because the other DI universities in Ohio suffer from delusions of grandeur and cling to make-believe "big time" status, at the cost of nearly 12 million more per year than we spend on sports.  (YSU budget is 12.5 million; average MAC budget is 24.2 million.) The only other viable option was to explore football-only membership in the CAA.  That is a course that we did not pursue.

Now as far as your persistent notion that independent status is "doable," here is my challenge.  Make out an eleven game theoretical football schedule for YSU.  As you do so, remember two facts.  First, MAC schools will not play us in Youngstown.  Second, 95% of FBS and FCS schools play only conference opponents in October and November.  Show me your schedule or put to rest this fantasy once and for all.