Author Topic: Next Facility Upgrade???  (Read 15103 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Next Facility Upgrade???
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
Now that we finally have a video board inside Beeghly Center and now that the Softball field has been built on campus along with the Soccer and Track complex built next to it.... What do you guys think should be the next upgrade?? Personally, I would like to see a new video scoreboard at Stambaugh stadium along with a new sound system. That or some better seating inside Beeghly Center. Thoughts?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Next Facility Upgrade???
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
10-4 on that!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
get rid of the bleachers - new scoreboard would be nice but 6 home games for that and 25-30 home games for bb and add in vb so new permanent armed chairs get my vote
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »
New chair back seating in Beeghly, both for the reserve sections near the floor and the general admission areas higher up.  We would lose some capacity but the improvement in the atmosphere would be unbelievable.  Months ago one poster from Pittsburgh showed us how much better the facility at Duquesne looked after they had replaced old bleachers with chair back seats.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
New chair back seating in Beeghly, both for the reserve sections near the floor and the general admission areas higher up.  We would lose some capacity but the improvement in the atmosphere would be unbelievable.  Months ago one poster from Pittsburgh showed us how much better the facility at Duquesne looked after they had replaced old bleachers with chair back seats.
The chairbacks by the floor are fine. I sit in them every game and they do the job. I would actually prefer just getting the red plastic bleachers popping up at area high schools. I know Fitch, Boardman, Mooney, and Ursuline all recently installed them. Those would be just as nice and would not diminish capacity. Now the area's behind the basket could use some fixing up, but let's just win first.

I am expecting 20 win seasons for the men and women this year. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that was a possibility 5 years ago.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
If YSU really cares about basketball then the court-side bleachers need to go.  I don't mind the end-zone bleachers, that's a little different.  Red seats should be installed on both sides to match the ones already there.  That would make the arena look great, we would lose some numbers but that would be okay.  Here is the picture again of what Duquesne did with the Palumbo Centre:

See the picture.  http://www.goduquesne.com/facilities/duqu-facil-palumbo.html

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »
If YSU really cares about basketball then the court-side bleachers need to go.  I don't mind the end-zone bleachers, that's a little different.  Red seats should be installed on both sides to match the ones already there.  That would make the arena look great, we would lose some numbers but that would be okay.  Here is the picture again of what Duquesne did with the Palumbo Centre:

See the picture.  http://www.goduquesne.com/facilities/duqu-facil-palumbo.html

I agree. Red chairs on both sides

ValleyTalk

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
However, do not droll over Duquesne's arena. It is a near carbon copy of Beeghly Center and the concourse is tiny and much smaller. The seats behind the baskets are worse than Beeghly's.

Yet, they do have a great scoreboard and nice chairbacks going up on those sides.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
I sit in the end-zone so I say we order backed chairs there also
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:14:51 AM »
were these buildings we are comparing built around the same time?  Seriously I remember going to game there a few years ago during the Robic years and it felt as if I was walking into Beeghly.  I wonder if they had the same architect firm.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
I was at a game at Ravenna High School a few weeks ago, and the video portion of their new scoreboard is nicer than YSU's, but I think I would rather see them upgrade the seating in Beeghly before installing a new video board at Stambaugh.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Didn't Coca-Cola pay for our last score board in Stambaugh?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Didn't Coca-Cola pay for our last score board in Stambaugh?

yes

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »
were these buildings we are comparing built around the same time?  Seriously I remember going to game there a few years ago during the Robic years and it felt as if I was walking into Beeghly.  I wonder if they had the same architect firm.

Beeghly opened in 1972 and the end zone renovations were completed in 1983 with the move to Division I.

Palumbo opened in 1988 with renovations in 2007 and 2010 (per the ever reliable Wikipedia).

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 11:03:09 PM »
Hoops,

I seem to recall a media report that Duquesne examined the plans for Beeghly Center when they were looking to construct a facility of about the same size.  That might account for the architectural similarity.