Author Topic: USD In-Game Thread  (Read 73396 times)

Offline scarlet rook

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: USD In-Game Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
Ugly. Ugly win.. But you have to be happy winning ugly sometimes. 

Eh...pretty only counts in Prom dates.
GO GUINS !
Any idea when their plane arrives in Ytown tonight?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
Wow! Hess snatches a victory from the jaws of defeat for the second time this year on the road.  Are we starting to believe yet?  One more win solidifies the play-offs and then who knows. You know UNI will be gunning for us, and trying to ruin our season.  USD deserves kudos for playing us tough, but this should have not been this close!  That being said, look out for them in the future!  They are up and coming, and will be scary!   I don't think this conference can get any tougher than what it is!  Miss St. vastly improved, USD, SDst, UNi and ND St.  not to mention Ill St and SIU.  Penguins deserve a great amount of credit for being undefeated in this meat grinder!  Great football conference, great basketball conference.  What more could YSU fans ask for?   Love ya all back home, and thinking about all Penguin fans while listening out here in the great state of Colorado.  Go Penguins.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
The issue isn't Wolford vs. previous coaches but this year's team vs. last year's team. At half time this game was starting to turn into last year's Illinois State game, but the team got its act together.  This win has got to be a confidence builder. I still want the pass defense fixed. :)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
Wolf has definitely instilled confidence into this team. They BELIEVE. You guys should too

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
UNI got beat today. YSU is in with the 8 wins needed.  We got lucky today. Too many personal fouls and ragged OL & DL play, not to mention a porous secondary. And I was surprised to see old Joe Glenn across the field as SD coach. He was formerly a Montana coach of great success.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Not only did UNI lose, their quarterback and stud running back suffered what their coach has called "serious" injuries in the process.  If we are ever going to win out there, it will be next week.

Somebody would have to crunch the numbers, but I think that we are statistically a pretty good defense on first and second downs.  On third down, we convert into the scariest horror show ever created.  This is not a rant but a serious question.  What can we do to stop teams from completing those ten yard passes over the middle on third and eight?  Should we not at least be able to clog up that one glaring hole?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Not only did UNI lose, their quarterback and stud running back suffered what their coach has called "serious" injuries in the process.  If we are ever going to win out there, it will be next week.

Somebody would have to crunch the numbers, but I think that we are statistically a pretty good defense on first and second downs.  On third down, we convert into the scariest horror show ever created.  This is not a rant but a serious question.  What can we do to stop teams from completing those ten yard passes over the middle on third and eight?  Should we not at least be able to clog up that one glaring hole?

Well put. I don't know. I watched us bite on that trick play they tried to run. I watched us bite on the 5 wide qb draw they ran.   NDSU is going to run a 5 wide QB draw or do a flea flicker and score on us because we are so inept at time on defense.

When our DB's let people get behind them consistently we give up those 3rd down conversions. Childs and Peterman had terrible games. Tresey chewed on Child's ear when he let that WR get behind him.  I don't get it, but they won.