Author Topic: The South Dakota game  (Read 34929 times)

Offline Yotes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The South Dakota game
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
Well Yotes, gracious loser I see. :o  The shocking thing about this game was not the performance of the YSU defense.  We had been telling you all week that we had major issues on that side of the ball.  The shocking attribute of this football game was the performance of the South Dakota defense, the statistical juggernaut that you bragged about all week.  Seems like they crumbled like a house of cards when they confronted their first opponent in the MVFC that actually had some offensive weapons.
It should seem that way. We were right there, a defensive stop and we win, but the defense crumbled and even had a personal foul on the way to giving up a touchdown. Very upset after the loss, calming down a bit now, but it was not at all the mismatch that one certain poster wanted everyone want to believe.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Well Yotes, gracious loser I see. :o  The shocking thing about this game was not the performance of the YSU defense.  We had been telling you all week that we had major issues on that side of the ball.  The shocking attribute of this football game was the performance of the South Dakota defense, the statistical juggernaut that you bragged about all week.  Seems like they crumbled like a house of cards when they confronted their first opponent in the MVFC that actually had some offensive weapons.
It should seem that way. We were right there, a defensive stop and we win, but the defense crumbled and even had a personal foul on the way to giving up a touchdown. Very upset after the loss, calming down a bit now, but it was not at all the mismatch that one certain poster wanted everyone want to believe.

Everyone has a village idiot.

With all of the penalties and circumstances working against YSU they still pushed your defense around at times. Look at the stats.  USD is a good team and they are well coached. They will be a force to reclon with and will be a top conference team in a few years.

YSU had issues with your field grass. 

Spiderlegs

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »
YSU offense played about how I expected except for the fumbles.  I didn't expect this since the field was dry. Take away the 17 points on turnovers and YSU would have looked pretty dominant today.

The YSU defense was actually a little better than I expected.  Occasionally there was something that looked like a pass rush, and on some plays Earl was actually forced to throw the ball early.  However, the pass rush was very inconsistent--on some plays, it was not there at all.

I'm convinced that the opponent rushes into the secondary and the vulnerability of the D to passes up the middle on 3rd down is a linebacker issue. Disappointed that this isn't fixed yet.  This seems like a coaching issue to me--I noticed that the USD linebackers were quite aggressive.

Earl was what I expected--good but not great.  He's young--will be a fearsome competitor in a year or two.

Offline OBC

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
Good game today.  Was a tough fought game by both squads.  In the end, your offense was too much for us.

Good luck the rest of the way.

OBC

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
Good game today.  Was a tough fought game by both squads.  In the end, your offense was too much for us.

OBC
Game was what I expected--a hard fought battle--you guys nearly beat us @ Stambaugh last year and I knew that you were a much improved team and that you were playing at your home where you always do quite well--good luck the rest of the way and thanks for your classy post-- its always tough to deal with a very close loss but tough teams always bounce back.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »
3 YSU turnovers left to 3 short USD fields and 17 USD points. You cannot turn it over 3 times and expect to win. Defense was put in those bad spots and it reflects in the score, but that game should not have been that close. However, a win is a win and we got UNI that we need to worry about now.

Want to talk about atmosphere. What I witnessed in person in South Dakota today was a great atmosphere for football. We get 20-30 fans on our feet making mediocre noise on third down, while they get 70% of their fans on their feet on EVERY SINGLE THIRD DOWN. That noise, coupled with the band playing nauseating "noise", in the poorly acoustic dome, is intimidating for the opposition.

We pride ourselves on having a great environment. I challenge everyone at the next home game to match what I saw in Vermillion today. A fan base that doesn't look back to see if they are blocking anyone's view on third down, but a fan base that truly wants to make it difficult to get a first down on third down by getting on their feet and making noise!

USD's Noise today was louder than any YSU crowd all year. However, what matters is we got the WIN!

Go YSU!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 04:40:02 AM »
3 YSU turnovers left to 3 short USD fields and 17 USD points. You cannot turn it over 3 times and expect to win. Defense was put in those bad spots and it reflects in the score, but that game should not have been that close. However, a win is a win and we got UNI that we need to worry about now.

Want to talk about atmosphere. What I witnessed in person in South Dakota today was a great atmosphere for football. We get 20-30 fans on our feet making mediocre noise on third down, while they get 70% of their fans on their feet on EVERY SINGLE THIRD DOWN. That noise, coupled with the band playing nauseating "noise", in the poorly acoustic dome, is intimidating for the opposition.

We pride ourselves on having a great environment. I challenge everyone at the next home game to match what I saw in Vermillion today. A fan base that doesn't look back to see if they are blocking anyone's view on third down, but a fan base that truly wants to make it difficult to get a first down on third down by getting on their feet and making noise!

USD's Noise today was louder than any YSU crowd all year. However, what matters is we got the WIN!

Go YSU!

I also have an issue with many in YSU crowd. It drives me nuts that people aren't on their feet. Not that many uears ago I remember stabding the entire game. Now people tell me to sit down and I tell them to sit somewhere else because I'm not sitting down. The last time we had an amped up atmosphere was vs JMU in 2006. It was a playoff game and it was loud.

It is easier for them to be loud because of the dome, but I think Stick said it best, he saw a woman crocheting in the stands.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »
We all know that YSU never draws good in November even in the Tressel years.  I would be pleased with over 16,000 fans if the weather is decent.   YSU needs to get as many students to the game as possible.  What is YSU doing extra to market this game?  So far I see no extra marketing.  Don't show the game on replay until Sunday.  Lets go Strollo and market this game!!!  Do something different.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »
From the Sioux City Journal

http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/football/college/usd/late-score-lifts-no-youngstown-state-past-coyotes/article_c1e8df83-a1e9-5ee9-b2ba-14e66b43331d.html

VERMILLION, S.D. | In a back-and-forth contest that went to the final gun, Youngstown State dealt the decisive blow, scoring with 14 seconds remaining to clip South Dakota 38-34 Saturday at the DakotaDome.

It took all the 10th-ranked Penguins had to avoid an upset by South Dakota in the emotional Missouri Valley Football Conference game played in front of 6,676 fans.

Martin Ruiz scored on a 3-yard run with 14 ticks left, capping a 74-yard drive after USD’s Jordan Roberts burst up the middle for an 11-yard touchdown with 2:14 remaining, putting his team in front 38-34.

A costly personal foul penalty for a late hit on USD’s Aaron Swift aided the Penguins on the winning march. Quarterback Kurt Hess fired a 15-yard strike to Bryan Christian to the 3-yard line with 27 seconds remaining and after a spike to stop the clock, Ruiz slipped into the end zone and put a dagger in the Coyotes’ heart.

Ruiz, a freshman, rushed for 131 yards and two touchdowns while Hess completed 22 of 26 passes (283 yards) as the Penguins racked up 517 yards of offense against one of the top defenses in the country. USD entered the contest ranked No. 2 nationally in the Football Championship Subdivision in pass defense and were fifth in total defense.

Youngstown State, now 8-1 overall, moved to 5-0 in the MVFC for the first time in school history. The loss was the first at home this season for the Coyotes, now 4-5 overall and 3-3 in the conference.

“This was a good football team we played and we just couldn’t find an answer for them on defense,” South Dakota Coach Joe Glenn said. “They just had too many weapons and it all starts at quarterback, that guy is phenomenal and he was the difference in the game.

“They did run some dives we couldn’t stop and that’s disappointing because they ran that about 42 times on us last year. I give them a lot of credit, they execute really, really well. But we were disappointed in some of our execution, we just didn’t get the dive shut down.”

Jody Webb raced 42 yards up the middle on an aforementioned dive play in the third quarter as YSU went in front 31-27 after erasing an eight-point deficit with 11:14 left in the game.

And, even though the Coyotes answered with a go-ahead touchdown drive of 66 yards, two minutes was too much time to give an experienced quarterback like Hess.

“We do a two-minute drill each week and I normally give our team a minute and 16, put us all the way backed up all the time and I give them one time out and say we need a touchdown,” Youngstown State Coach Eric Wolford said. “So I walked in the huddle and lightened it up a little bit and said ‘boys, we have 2:07 left here today, so that’s like an eternity from that minute, 16 I usually give you and we need to go get seven. We had a little fun with it and the kids got a smile. They think I’m half nuts most of the time anyway.

“Obviously this is a compliment to our coaching staff and kids for perservering. We felt like we kind of had control of the game except for the self-inflicted turnovers and botched extra points.

“We’re fortunate to come in here and get a win. Coach Glenn has done a great job of changing this program, you can see the passion in the kids. We appreciated the crowd, it was a great atmosphere and you can see why it’s a tough place to play.”

The lead changed hands nine times, including two in the final three minutes.

The winning drive was Youngstown State’s fifth of 67 yards or more. The Penguins, though, had all kinds of problems on conversions, missing an extra point kick, mishandling an extra point snap and failing on a pair of two-point tries. They also lost three fumbles, which led to two USD touchdowns and a field goal.

South Dakota’s Kevin Earl passed for 219 yards and two touchdowns. An 11-yarder to former starting quarterback Josh Vander Maten midway through the third quarter gave the Coyotes a 27-19 lead.

Hess, though, drew the Penguins within 27-25 on a 3-yard pass to Michael Wheary on fourth down with 1:08 left in the third quarter. Hess also threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Webb for the game’s first touchdown and scored on a 3-yard run.

The Coyotes sacked Hess four times – one each by Keyen Lage, Drew Iddings, Tyler Starr and Emilious Davis – but the veteran signal-caller completed passes to nine different receivers.

Youngstown State’s balanced offensive ledger included 283 passing and 234 rushing yards.

USD’s Trevor Bouma, playing at less than 100 percent because of a bad back, nonetheless carried 16 times for 76 yards. Roberts was carried off the field after sustaining what looked to be a serious knee injury, but returned to score the go-ahead touchdown.

True freshman Riley Donovan had 103 receiving yards, becoming the first Coyote to record three consecutive 100-yard performances since Dan Skelly in 2008. Miles Bergner, another freshman, connected on field goals of 39 and 40 yards, the latter with 1:20 left in the first half to give his team a 20-19 lead.

“This loss is one of the toughest because it’s more than likely going to knock us out of the playoffs,” Starr said. “We should have won the game. We had multiple chances to win it but the defense didn’t play very well. The offense was putting points on the board and that’s all we could ask for.”

The Coyotes are home again Saturday, hosting nationally-ranked Montana in a non-conference game at 1 p.m.

Youngstown State 38, USD 34

Youngstown State 7 12 6 13 -- 38

South Dakota 3 17 7 7 -- 34

First Quarter

USD: FG Miles Bergner 39, 4:49

YSU: Jody Webb 40 pass from Kurt Hess (Joey Cejudo kick) 1:39

Second Quarter

USD: Kevin Earl 17 run (Bergner kick) 13:17

YSU: Hess 4 run (kick failed) 8:56

USD: Kayl Barkley 9 pass from Earl (Bergner kick) 8:03

YSU: Martin Ruiz 6 run (run failed) 5:13

USD: FG Bergner 40, 1:20

Third Quarter

USD: Josh Vander Maten 11 pass from Earl (Bergner kick) 6:10

YSU: Michael Wheary 3 pass from Hess (pass failed) 1:08

Fourth Quarter

YSU: Webb 42 run (pass failed) 11:14

USD: Jordan Roberts 11 run (Bergner kick) 2:14

YSU: Ruiz 3 run (Cejudo kick) :14

TEAM STATISTICS

YSU USD

First downs 25 24

Rushes-yards 51-234 36-159

Passing yards 283 229

Passes 22-27-0 17-32-0

Total plays-yards 78-517 68-388

Fumbles-lost 3-3 1-0

Penalties-yards 6-69 8-60

Punts-avg. 2-41.5 6-39.5

Possession time 34:04 25:56

3rd down conversions 9-15 6-14

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING: Youngstown State – Martin Ruiz 23-131, Jody Webb 5-64, Demond Hymes 7-18, Andre Stubbs 3-17, Carson Sharbaugh 1-4, Kurt Hess 12-0. South Dakota – Trevor Bouma 16-76, Kevin Earl 8-33, Jordan Roberts 9-29, Josh Vander Maten 1-10, Terrance Terry 1-6, Nick Meyer 1-5.

PASSING: Youngstown State – Kurt Hess 22-26-0—283. South Dakota – Kevin Earl 16-31-0—219, Josh Vander Maten 1-1-0—10.

RECEIVING: Youngstown State – Marcel Carver 5-43, Christian Bryan 4-52, Michael Wheary 4-42, Jody Webb 2-52, Martin Ruiz 2-19, Carson Sharbaugh 2-14, Jacob Wood 1-49, Andrew Williams 1-14, Andre Stubbs 1-(-2). South Dakota – Riley Donovan 4-103, Josh Vander Maten 3-29, Nick Meyer 2-36, Kayl Barkley 2-22, Terrance Terry 2-15, Jordan Roberts 2-10, Tyler Wilhelm 1-10, Trevor Bouma 1-4.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131103/SPORTS0203/311030022/Out-reach-Late-TD-boosts-Youngstown-State-past-Coyotes?nclick_check=1

VERMILLION — The entertainment value was as high as the level of disappointment for a University of South Dakota football team that pushed the No. 10 team to the edge of an upset Saturday at the DakotaDome.

Youngstown State’s Martin Ruiz scored on a 3-yard run with 14 seconds left to give the Penguins the right lead at the right time in a 38-34 win over the Coyotes, who lost for the second consecutive week after winning three straight games by three points.

It was the eighth conference win in a row for the Penguins (8-1, 5-0 Missouri Valley Football Conference), dating back to a 13-10 win over the Coyotes last season. Saturday’s victory, which included 517 yards of total offense from the visitors, was also Youngstown’s 11th consecutive win over an FCS school.

“This was one of the worst,” said senior USD linebacker Tyler Starr, who had one of the Coyotes’ three sacks. “Because it probably knocked us out of a playoff shot. We had multiple opportunities to win. From a defensive standpoint, our offense put points on the board and that’s all we could ask for.”

The playoff talk for the Coyotes (4-5, 3-3) never rose above a whisper publicly in 2013, but it was a target within the team that most likely vanished against the Penguins.

With five losses (three in the conference), any remaining hope for a postseason was most likely drummed out by Youngstown quarterback Kurt Hess, who completed 22 of 26 passes for 283 yards and two touchdowns against the second-best pass defense in FCS.

The senior, who holds nearly every career quarterbacking record for the Penguins, was never really stopped. Youngstown punted just two times.

“We just couldn’t find an answer for them on defense,” USD coach Joe Glenn said. “They had too many weapons. And it all starts for that team at quarterback. He’s phenomenal.”

The Coyotes definitely had their moments in this upset attempt. They led 20-19 at half and also had a 27-19 lead, and – maddeningly – a 34-31 edge with 2:14 to play. But there were reasons the Penguins have won a lot of games recently, and the Coyotes were witness to them.

“We felt like we had control of the game, except for the self-inflicted turnovers and the botched extra points,” Youngstown State coach Eric Wolford said, adding, “We were lucky to come in here and get a win.”

USD led 20-19 at halftime but obtained that lead without the defensive effort that had been such a big part of the season. The Penguins lost fumbles twice, gave up the ball on downs deep in USD territory to end another drive and whiffed on a pair of point-after attempts while rolling up 301 yards in total offense.

Even so, the Coyotes were able to add to their lead midway with 6:10 left in the third quarter on an 11-yard Earl pass to Josh Vander Maten to make the score 27-19. Drew Iddings knocked the ball out of Hess’ hands on a sack and Aaron Swift fell on it at the YSU 42. Eight plays later, Earl connected with Vander Maten.

“We executed today and we didn’t turn the ball over,” said Earl, who completed 16 of 31 for 219 yards. “That was a big plus. We maintained control of the ball and we made big plays when we could. We didn’t do anything different – we just ran our plays.”

The eight-point lead was gone when Hess hit Michael Wheary in the back of the end zone on a fourth-and-goal from the USD 3. USD stayed ahead on the scoreboard by thwarting the Penguins’ two-pointer, but they weren’t done.

A 42-yard Jody Webb run with 11:14 to play – the “back-breaker” in Glenn’s opinion – gave YSU a 31-27 lead. The Coyotes answered late with an 11-yard touchdown run from Jordan Roberts, but not late enough.

He scored with 2:14 remaining and Hess had the ball back in his hands with 2:07 left at his own 26. Given his work in finding open receivers, 2:07 was plenty of time.

“We work on a two-minute drill a lot with these guys,” Wolford said. “I back them way up and give them a minute and sixteen seconds and give them one timeout and tell them we need a touchdown. So I walked in the huddle today and tried to lighten the mood up. I said, ‘Boys, we got 2:07 here today. That’s like an eternity.”

It was a very long two minutes for the Coyote defense, no doubt about that. The drive included a 15-yard penalty on a late hit by Swift, but USD had given no indication up to that point in the 74-yard, 10-play drive that they’d be able to stop the Penguins.

The Coyotes play host to Montana next week and South Dakota State on Nov. 16 before finishing the season at North Dakota State. They will proceed against the three top-20 teams without a hint of playoff fever.

“We can’t look ahead – we have Montana coming in – we’re going to clean this up,” said USD senior cornerback Jarrid Bryant. “We gave up 500 yards today and that’s way too many. Our offense played their tails off. This one was definitely on the defense.”

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
http://www.goyotes.com/allaccess/?media=418143

Their post game presser-----Go to the reaction clip.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:37:21 PM by penguinpower »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »

OBC

Classy, thanks and best to you folks the rest of the year.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
I shot this Saturday at the DakotaDome for anyone who cares lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KHbgWXdaVc&feature=youtu.be

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »
I shot this Saturday at the DakotaDome for anyone who cares lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KHbgWXdaVc&feature=youtu.be

Looks like a very different place to play a game.