Author Topic: Men's Basketball Commit (2014) 6-8 Bryce Nickels- Steinbrenner High School (FL)  (Read 8154 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Bryce Nickels committed to YSU today via his twitter account... 6-8, 200 pound Forward. Had offers from Florida Atlantic, George Mason, Jacksonville and GEORGIA TECH. Solid pickup for Slocum and staff.

Bryce Nickels ‏@BryceNickels 41m

Officially committed to Youngstown... #OneGoalDown #NbaBound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxuiROHbDE
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:25:11 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
IP - is that it for this recruiting cycle or one more?  Never sure if Podolski is on scholarship.

One recap on Nickels:

Strengths:
Nickels is a very long and active forward. He runs the floor extremely well and is a excellent defensive presence with block, contest and change shots with his quickness and reaction time to the ball. Nickels displayed the ability to hit the 15 footer and high elevating turn shot in low post. He rebounds well in his area on both ends and has great upside.
Weaknesses:
Nickels will need to continue to add strength and work on his ball handling facing and in the open court.
Bottom Line:
Nickels length, activity make him an attractive prospect. He can finish, rebound and has good touch not to mention his great upside. Nickels should continue to improve rapidly with continued work and development.

Looks like several videos on this page

http://www.thesportsconnection.org/Florida/Lutz/Steinbrenner-High-School/Basketball/Bryce-Nickels-Basketball-Profile-Page.html

FloridaHoops.com has Nickels as #48 in Florida this year - and has him at Sickels High School

From the Georgia Tech Scout page

Bryce Nickels stock continues to rise as his AAU season unfolds. In July, his Florida Select team will participate in the Nationals either in Orlando or Atlanta. We talked to Bryce about his play and the his recruitment.

At 6' 8", Bryce plays both center and power forward. Nickels feels that power forward is a better spot for his skills. “I have a nice outside shot and at the four, I can use the space to get some outside shots."
Nickels game excels more on the defensive end of the court moreso than on the offensive end. "It is the part of the game that I enjoy playing.” Bryce averaged 3.5 blocks and 7.7 rebounds per game this year. “I take pride in playing defense; I love it.” Nickels finished as the leader in blocks in the 7A classification in Florida.

A new school is starting to take a look at Nickels. Georgia Tech has been in touch with Bryce and his mom. “They want me to come for a visit so I can see first hand what Georgia Tech has to offer.” Tech likes what they see from Bryce’s defense and his intensity on the court. They like Bryce at power forward. “I will get up there for a visit this summer."

Nickles is beginning to hear from more schools as the AAU season progresses. "I have several offers out there from schools like George Mason, Navy, Colgate, and a few others.”

Look for Bryce to wait until the late signing period to make his decision. “I want to get all the offers I can as well as getting to know each school as best I can."

Bryce will be looking for a school that has the coaching that will prepare him for a shot at any of the pro leagues. “I want a coaching staff that will push and teach me to be the best player I can be.” Looking for a school that can provide him with a good education is also important. “It isn't often that you get your education free and I want to make sure I get a good one.”

http://georgiatech.scout.com/2/1294557.html

ValleyTalk

Very impressive recruiting class by coach Slocum. The future is looking very bright!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Indy--one left to go. Still hoping for Manzi......should know soon

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Thanks IP - mentioned below Nickels is #48 in Florida per FloridaHoops.com

Earlier commit Umude is #33

Manzi is #20

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Looks like a red shirt to start college career.   Watched 3 of the videos and strength will be a problem.  Very raw.  Thought I would see a dunk in one of the videos ?   Nice length,hope his best b-ball is ahead of him.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
In an ideal world,  some of the freshmen each year will redshirt.  Get stronger, get acclimated to the college game through practice.

The three commits this year are all high school guys as is Manzi, the guy the staff is waiting on right now.  The guys new to the program this year are all high school guys.  Belin is the only juco on the roster this year.  I can't tell you the last time the program wasn't reaching for the juco fix.

Relying on kids who are hopefully in your program for four or five years is the way to build a program.  The occasional transfer or juco to fill a hole or put you over the top is the way to go.  Not rebuilding your starting lineup each year with guys who only have a year or two left.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
from TBOonline
Sickles’ Nickels commits to Youngstown State
Posted Oct 25, 2013 by Nick Williams

Updated Oct 25, 2013 at 03:31 PM

Sickles 6-foot-8 center Bryce Nickels, a transfer from Steinbrenner, has committed to Youngstown State, Sickles coach Renaldo Garcia announced.

As a junior, Nickels averaged 13.1 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game for the Warriors, who finished 13-11.

Nickels also had offers from Jacksonville, Navy, Lamar, James Madison, New Hampshire and Sam Houston St.

Sickles reached the 7A region semifinals last season. The Gryohons will compete in the Lake Mary Prep Holiday Tournament, Sarasota Riverview Christmas Tournament, Wally Keller Shootout at Charlotte High School, and Bartow Stinger Shootout this season.

- See more at: http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/sickles-nickels-commits-to-youngstown-state/#sthash.lIJi8yPF.3DMUbAZ3.dpuf