Author Topic: Saturday's Crowd....  (Read 38954 times)

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday's Crowd....
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
we had one prediction of 12,000 fans....had someone else post that the average attendance numbers were 15,000 per game...

NOW...have there been actually 15,000 combined fans at all of our home games to date..?....total....!!...
actual people...with heartbeats....and a pulse...

I took a picture of the crowd....wish i know how to post it here...bla...bla bla...it rained...whatever...been to a high school game with worse rain...and 3 x  the fans...

this team deserves some support...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
If the athletic department is concerned about attendance, they need to do two things for next season.

First, stop televising the home games.  Far too many people stay home and watch the replay. 

Second, play the entire schedule at 7:00.  My guess is we lose at least 2,000 people each game because family related activities are not concluded in time for the 4:00 starts.  Try it for one year.  The athletic department might be shocked by the result.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
Wick:

Question:  Doesn't YSU get money from their televised games?

I heard the parents of one of the players say that they preferred the earlier games since they had a long
(4 hr.) drive home.  I thought in one of the interviews, Kurt Hess said that he would prefer to play the game sooner in the day.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
A number of years ago, I got on here and promoted the idea that it was way past due to fire the coach be cause we weren't making the playoffs. Attendance dropped and never returned ( butts in seats). The lesson is when you don't meet your standard, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !

Attendance isn't going to return until the playoffs come on a regular basis. Lots of disappointments with the past few years as the rebuild has been slow and faulty. Yep, you will get some businesses suckered into buying up some tickets, but game  day will see few of them filled with butts . People who have an expectation of making the playoffs near annually will return. But so far there is nothing to brag about and the previous coach killed this program royally.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
^^^^  Agree with the above.  Well said.  The impact of the former HC's and current AD's neglect of the FB program  has had a long term effect on attendance.  These fans simply found something better to do than spend valuable time and money on a mediocre product.  The impact on local businesses must be significant.  I agree that a couple of years of playoffs will bring most back, although he population has declined since the championship era.

Also, when a stadium seats 20,630 and the ratio of empty seats : occupied ones looks ~8:1.....I'm not going to believe attendance figures of 12K.  Nice try.

:)
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »
I know many of you do not want to hear this, but here goes:

I believe the real problem for YSU mediocre attendance is: many of the faithful fans of the 1990's are a lot older; also many have moved away from the area (like me). I remember the stadium in the 90's being filled and the place was rocking with great excitement!

Now many of the remaining fans are dedicated Ohio State and Penn State fans because of their preeminence in the bowl series format and usually their winning records. Many of these fans thinks YSU football is minor league. Many on this board like the playoff format (FCS) and expects YSU to be chosen every year, but that has been far and few times since the Tressel era. 

I believe they can get back to averaging 13-15,000 fans in the current format, but they have to have several good playoff years were they go deep into the playoffs and have good weather.

Their best chance to get a larger fan base is the BSC format. Yes, it will cost a lot more money, but it allows YSU to play recognized schools and sets up all important game rivalries (which we do not have currently). Just look at the schools that have went to the BSC format since the Tressel years: Boise State, Marshall, Fla. Atlantic, Nevada, UCF, Fla. International, North Texas, Connecticut, UMass, South Fla., Western Ky., Ga. State, UTSA, Idaho, Troy, Appalachian St., Ga. Southern and the list goes on. Why?? Because they get to play the big named schools, get a lot more recognition via TV and media plus they make a lot more money!!!!

What ever happens, I will remain a YSU fan!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
While I sure don't want to have that conversation again, this article what posetd today.  I don't think many of the schools that moved up are making more profit.  They may bring in more, but they spent more - and in the case of UMass - a lot more than they planned to.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2013/10/21/should-james-madison-university-move-to-fbs/

Lots of reasons I can see for declining attendance

#1 - too many poor seasons with no playoffs - both the current and former coaching regimes at issue here.

#2 - the graying population.  I moved 17 years ago - and everyone who had season tickets near me had hair that was as gray as mine is now.

#3 - people are cheap.  Everyone is looking for the free ticket - or the free game on TV.  They would rather spend a fraction of the cost to go to a high school game on Friday night, then stay home and watch the Buckeyes on Saturday and then catch the YSU replay.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
ScarletRook,

To answer your question about local tv money, I just don't know.  It would have to be considerable since free tv certainly kills attendance.

Paladin,

Agree.  I see an interesting parallel between YSU football and the Cleveland Indians.  The Dolan family bought the Indians at roughly the same time that Tressel left YSU.  What followed for both teams was over a decade of losing and frustration, with each unit making only a single playoff appearance.  Now the Indians won 92 games under a new manager but attendance was terrible.  YSU football is 7-1 but attendance does not meet expectations.  Both will need sustained success to rebuild the fan base.

OleYSUfan,

As I posted earlier, our memories about the 90s are highly selective.  There were some big crowds and great atmospheres, but the attendance figures in the media guide suggest that, overall, we did not draw all that well.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
Wick

The Dolans were cheapskates and made poor personnel moves to save a few bucks. Awful owners. Cleveland is a gold mine for Pro owners who usually screw over the fans in the quest to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$.  YSU took  too long to pull the plug on Heacock and of course, the AD is no good , adding to all that. The crowds are gone , just like the playoffs. One follows the other.

Crowds will return as everyone loves a winner. But a winner here is the playoffs, not weak sister teams stuffed into the schedule for easy wins. Public isn't that dumb.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »
I have mixed thoughts about the game being televised the same night. I like it because it allows me to see the game twice, but I also believe as some have posted that it makes it too easy for the casual fan to do something else during the day, save the price of the ticket and watch the game in your favorite chair. And if we lost the game they will watch something else. My hope is that we make some money for the rights and that some people might like what they see and start coming to the game.

I could make a case for any starting time, I would just like for all of the games to be at the same time. 4:00 would be my pick, allows for travel, can get things done around the house before the game and stop for something to eat after the game.

I think that the 7:00 start has problems because of the perception of safety while being in the city after dark. I have only missed maybe 4 home games since 1974 and I have NEVER had any such problem, but I believe it would concern some.

As I recall even during the "Glory Years" we were not filling ever seat until after the 1st or 2nd NC. It is a tough, fickle crowd. If you win and win and win the "fans" will come.

Ticket prices play into it also, population in the area is shrinking and good paying jobs are scarce. Tickets, parking and concessions add up for some folks, especially when you can watch it later at home.

At some point during our 90's run it became fashionable to be at the games, it was the happening place to be. formally casual fans were hooked.

There are more students living on campus but most still commute, That second drive in seems to be a problem for them. I saw a few games while a student but did not get hooked until my last year so I can understand somewhat.

Sure wish I had a magic wand but it just is not a simple fix, I do know that butts in the seats helps the team and recruiting. Grab your friends, your kids, coworkers, etc and fill the place.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
I have mixed thoughts about the game being televised the same night. I like it because it allows me to see the game twice, but I also believe as some have posted that it makes it too easy for the casual fan to do something else during the day, save the price of the ticket and watch the game in your favorite chair. And if we lost the game they will watch something else. My hope is that we make some money for the rights and that some people might like what they see and start coming to the game.

I could make a case for any starting time, I would just like for all of the games to be at the same time. 4:00 would be my pick, allows for travel, can get things done around the house before the game and stop for something to eat after the game.

I think that the 7:00 start has problems because of the perception of safety while being in the city after dark. I have only missed maybe 4 home games since 1974 and I have NEVER had any such problem, but I believe it would concern some.

As I recall even during the "Glory Years" we were not filling ever seat until after the 1st or 2nd NC. It is a tough, fickle crowd. If you win and win and win the "fans" will come.

Ticket prices play into it also, population in the area is shrinking and good paying jobs are scarce. Tickets, parking and concessions add up for some folks, especially when you can watch it later at home.

At some point during our 90's run it became fashionable to be at the games, it was the happening place to be. formally casual fans were hooked.

There are more students living on campus but most still commute, That second drive in seems to be a problem for them. I saw a few games while a student but did not get hooked until my last year so I can understand somewhat.

Sure wish I had a magic wand but it just is not a simple fix, I do know that butts in the seats helps the team and recruiting. Grab your friends, your kids, coworkers, etc and fill the place.

Gimme a break. Can't go to a football game at night because of safety concerns.... Campus is one of the safest places in the city... I LOVE night games

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »

Gimme a break. Can't go to a football game at night because of safety concerns.... Campus is one of the safest places in the city... I LOVE night games

You are correct the campus is very safe, I go to night games, even stated that I have NEVER had a problem.

I have had people tell me that they do not feel comfortable getting to and from campus. mostly folks older than I and when asked, they all admitted that they have NEVER had a problem, to some perception is reality.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 12:57:07 AM »

You are correct the campus is very safe, I go to night games, even stated that I have NEVER had a problem.

I have had people tell me that they do not feel comfortable getting to and from campus. mostly folks older than I and when asked, they all admitted that they have NEVER had a problem, to some perception is reality.

I hear what your saying. I personally wish every conference game was at night. The easy W's early in the season can be 4pm

ValleyTalk

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »
Stambaugh's average attendance was only reallllllly high in 2000. Other than that many years in the 90s have been comparable with years under Hiccup and Wolford.

The reason it was so "packed" back in the day is we had one side to the stadium and what 12-16 fewer loges. Still those packed crowds were never more than 16-17k.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
The paid attendance hasn't dropped that much since the playoff years.  It's the "butts in seats" that has dropped quite a bit.  This weekend the paid attendance was listed at 13,600, but there were maybe 5,000 actually there.  10,000 probably would have braved the weather during our peak years.  As others have stated, the number 1 draw is a consistent winner.