Author Topic: Guins vs. Leathernecks  (Read 23050 times)

kforbs126

Re: Guins vs. Leathernecks
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2013, 12:07:33 PM »
Thankfully got to watch the game on ESPN3.  We didn't look great but we did step up when we had to and great teams do that.  We may not be NDSU but I think we are top tier.  Look at all the top tier teams in the FBS who struggled this week, it happens.  The weather was crappy and that always hinders a game.  But we ran the ball really really well.  It was crazy the amount of holes there were to run in and big runs.  I really like Ruiz. The kid is fast and hits holes quickly.  He has a great future here. 

Also on a side note, I don't post here much but visit often but I do like these message boards.  As an alumni and someone who grew up going to every single YSU game in the late 80's and 90's, rain, snow, cold didn't stop us.  I was a bit disappointed in the crowd.  It looked like maybe a few hundred people in the stands.  Hopefully that will change.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:09:14 PM by kforbs126 »

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »
Have to agree with others. Come here to read about the YSU football, not this drivel. Open debate is great. This kid does not get it.

GOOOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

kforbs126

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
Have to agree with others. Come here to read about the YSU football, not this drivel. Open debate is great. This kid does not get it.

GOOOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto on this, keep it clean, we are all here for the same reason and the personal bashing and profanity laced rants only hurt this site.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
Ruiz will be better than Cook when it's all said and done. He only needs 29 yards to break the single season rushing record for a freshman at YSU. Wow

Spiderlegs

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
I'm not buying Wolford's post game comments.  He's blaming Hess's failure to connect to open receivers on the receiver being in the wrong place, even though Hess was looking right at the receiver when he threw. These weren't timing patterns, and unlike the Dayton game, the receivers were also looking at Hess. Wolford blamed the failure to tackle WIU's Baker was because Baker is so short, not because YSU was trying to tackle him with their arms rather than use their whole bodies.  This concerns me because of Wolford's tendency to deny problems when they exist, like he did in last October's 0-4 run. 

(My theory: Hess's hands were so cold that he lost control of the ball when passing, especially in the second half after the rain stopped.  Maybe he should have one of those handwarmer pouches on cold days.)

Also, I am puzzled why WIU so easily passed up the middle on third down. Seems like there is a mixed assignment there, either an LB or a DB who comes on the field just for 3rd down.  This problem has been occurring all season--it should be fixed by now.

DBs keep getting better. They need some help from the front line--allowing the opposing quarterback to plant his feet before throwing can rip apart the best of secondaries.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
Some good points in there spider. It was really embarrassing to watch how openly confused our defense was. Fans all around me noticed it & commented. We were always in a prevent, afraid to blitz. Hess had an ugly day, but I still say it starts with the lack of a power run game. Once Hess was having issues, we need to drain clock. Also, when WIU went to a three-back set it was embarrassing to see how confused we became on D. I mean it was only the staple set of American football for almost 100-years. Wolf needs to run a power formation & let the defense get some practice. When a game gets ugly, and this one rates a 10.5 on a 10-foot ugly meter, someone needs to take control. I applaud several people on defense that finally got down low and tackled.

This being said, it had to happen & I am glad we came out of this with a "W".

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »
Spiderlegs: that was a good post! I see it pretty much the same. Hess was never set up properly and missed his target time after time. While the W. Illinois QB had no problem throwing over the middle time after time.

There were some nice plays by the offensive line giving Ruiz holes and he did the rest. The special teams again are vastly improved.

I will take the win and be happy!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Spier you nailed it