Author Topic: Wolford a candidate at Miami (OH)?  (Read 8285 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Wolford a candidate at Miami (OH)?
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
Take these sites for what their worth (gossip pages), but CoachingSearch.com reports YSU coach Eric Wolford could emerage as a candidate at Miami (OH)

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

At the end of the day we want our coaches to be attractive to other schools.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:03:55 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolford a candidate at Miami (OH)?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
Uh oh. Not good. Especially to a Mac school close to home.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
What would Wolford gain by going to a MAC school?  He is already competitng in a league that has better coaches and better football. How much more could they pay him? 

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
What would Wolford gain by going to a MAC school?  He is already competitng in a league that has better coaches and better football. How much more could they pay him?

Wolford made $259k in 2012 according to this story

http://businessjournaldaily.com/education/ysu-cuts-its-budget-athletics-gets-more-2012-8-28

I've seen different numbers on what Treadwell was making, but all were between $400k and $425k.  That would be a 54% - 67% raise for Wolford.

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/10270-examining-coaching-salaries-in-the-mac

My guess is after years of losing, Miami will probably go higher to try to get the right guy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:28:32 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »

Wolford made $259k in 2012 according to this story

http://businessjournaldaily.com/education/ysu-cuts-its-budget-athletics-gets-more-2012-8-28

I've seen different numbers on what Treadwell was making, but all were between $400k and $425k.  That would be a 54% - 67% raise for Wolford.

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/10270-examining-coaching-salaries-in-the-mac

My guess is after years of losing, Miami will probably go higher to try to get the right guy.

Yeah but who is willing to go to Miami OH is the real question? Lol

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:46:53 PM »
Several points.  First, football is not women's basketball.  Wolford's contract has one year left after this season.  It undoubtedly has escape clauses, but just as surely a MAC school will not be included in that.  Second, his wife teaches at the university.  Any movement would be a family decision, much more so than with most coaches.  Third, after spending three frustrating years building his program, why (besides money) would Wolford go to a program that is a mess (how many head coaches has Klacik now got fired?)

I'm reasonably certain that Wolford has his sites set on the big time (Kansas State, anyone.)  A lateral move makes no sense when you are already working at a school that once sent its coach to Ohio State.  Hey, if I'm wrong, no big deal.  Montgomery ain't going back to Miami.  And there is this certain YSU graduate on staff who just might have won a FBS national coach of the year award in his past.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
I do not see it, no dis-respect to Wolf but why would Miami want him? Meaning just that to this point he has not won anything yet. No titles!

Why would Wolf want Miami, only thing would be the money but it is not like it would be 7 figures. The mac is not "big time" which is where I believe he wants to end up.

Miami would be smart to take the approach that OU did.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:11:42 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
Hey - you have a coaching rumors site who needs to come up with something.  Hey lets look for a FCS coach in the Midwest who has a good record.  Oh - hey there's Eric Wolford - he's 5-1.  Miami should look at him.

Look I hope they are looking at him at the end of the season because he's accomplished a great season at YSU.  If that happens and he stays, even better.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
I chuckle. Wolf has done nothing to warrant interest from  Miami ( but they were dumb enough to hire Klacik, so anything  is possible  ;D ). However he hasn't pulled a Tressel with multiple National Championships to be in a position to talk to and be considered for major D-I. Miami is the logical stepping stone to major D-I. Not YSU. At Miami, all he  needs to do is turn them around in a weak league, go to the Toilet Bowl and presto -- he is off to the Big 10 or elsewhere. He would have to pull a Tressel here over a number of years, whereas all he needs at Miami is one good year.

You are $hitting me -- they hired Klacik ?  ;D ;D ;D 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
Wolf is not going anywhere

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
Is the HC pool that shallow? A MAC school would hire an FCS coach with barely a >0.500 career HC record, and no playoff appearances?  YSU is 5-1 but has the most challenging part of its schedule to come in November.  I like the Wolf and am certain he's an upgrade from Heacock, but unless he makes the playoffs this year (and I think they will), I don't see how he's marketable until then.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spiderlegs

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »
Ohio schools like people who have Ohio recruiting experience, if they can find them, and it would be easy to hire Wolford cheaply by their standards. However, if Miami goes hunting in the FCS, I have to share the skepticism that he would be one of Miami's top candidates based on his record to date. Also, I am not sure that this would be a good move for him personally: If he really wants to coach in a big-time school, he probably could prove his worth to future suitors faster by building a stable championship program at YSU (which has yet to happen under his reign) than having to start all over again in the mess at Miami.