Author Topic: Running Backs  (Read 16673 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Running Backs
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
Bellamy did not make the trip.  He must really be in the doghouse.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »
Per Dana Balash on Twitter:

Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21
@21WFMJSports  YSU's Adaris Bellamy on personal leave of absence from team to tend to personal matters.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
I was very pleasantly surprised by the addition of Webb. Very fast & seems experienced. He must have seen playing time at UT. What does everyone else think?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »
IAA Fan,

I know that you prefer the old fashioned power running game, but since we are running out of a spread formation, backs like Ruiz and Webb are perfect fits.  From the spread, hitting small holes explosively and then speed in space are the most important attributes.  Both of these guys, although young, demonstrate such potential.  Of course, you must still pick up the tough yards on third and short, but we can easily convert to a power formation with Pace and Sharbaugh.  Of the many things we must worry about, running back is not one of them.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
IAA Fan,

I know that you prefer the old fashioned power running game, but since we are running out of a spread formation, backs like Ruiz and Webb are perfect fits.  From the spread, hitting small holes explosively and then speed in space are the most important attributes.  Both of these guys, although young, demonstrate such potential.  Of course, you must still pick up the tough yards on third and short, but we can easily convert to a power formation with Pace and Sharbaugh.  Of the many things we must worry about, running back is not one of them.

It is not that I prefer the old-fashioned running game ...it is just that:

1. It's functionality is more than 3rd-and short. The traditional run-game brings the dbacks in closer, opens middles pazzing lanes, consumes clock and wears down opposing defenses. It IS how you close out a game & prevents your opponent from coming back on you. Sometimes coach Shane (a coach that I truly respect and admire) is like a pitcher & uses the traditional run-game like a "change-up" in baseball. In my mind, that will fail almost every time on the football field. You need to make the decision to grind it out, or not ...and stick with it for at least a complete series of downs. Or, the entire drive if you are looking to rest a defense or burn clock. It requires consistency, as you seldom see the big gains of the spread. I mean how many Tamron Smith's are out there? :) Yet at the same time, a speedster can get out outside.

2. We really have not been using the Pace and Sharbaugh team. It is a combination I would love to see more often.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:12:10 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
Per Dana Balash on Twitter:

Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21
@21WFMJSports  YSU's Adaris Bellamy on personal leave of absence from team to tend to personal matters.
Thanks for posting this.  Hopefully everything works out.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »
I was very pleasantly surprised by the addition of Webb. Very fast & seems experienced. He must have seen playing time at UT. What does everyone else think?

Webb seemed pretty fast at Indy St. Unfortunately he looks tiny...even Ruiz was noticeably bigger than him. I don't think he'll see the workload Ruiz is currently getting any time soon, but he can sure be effective with touches spread throughout the game like Stubbs gets.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
He did not see any playing time at Toledo, but he had a fine high school career.  1st team all state in division I his Junior and Senior season.  Over 1500 yards rushing each season for a team that went 25-3 and made it to the state semi-finals both years.  They lost to eventual state champ St. Eds in 2010 and state champ St. Iggy in 2011.  He provides a good change of pace, and I hope they use the next three games to get him more carries.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »
I would like to see Webb in the return game. Could be special

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
I would like to see Webb in the return game. Could be special
So would I--I'm sure with his moves and speed he would be special.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »
After seeing what Jody Webb did in the Indiana State game, I like what I saw. He adds another dimension in the backfield with Martin Ruiz because Webb has quick acceleration. This allows the offence to add more play selections. I feel Ruiz will be great, but having 20+ carries every game can wear him down.

One thing for sure, I would like to see him in more plays because he is explosive!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Anybody know why Hymes did not get any reps in the backfield against UNI?