Author Topic: SIU in-game thread  (Read 31653 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: SIU in-game thread
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »
Next week we got the Sycamores who are 2-3, losing 38-37 to Tennessee Tech tonight. ISU LOVES to run the ball, but we completely shut them down (only 61 yards rushing) last year at home in a 27-6 win on Senior Day. Two years ago, Shakir Bell rushed for well over 200 yards in a shoot-out.

We've had big wins in the past under Wolford. Can we win BACK-TO-BACK big games under him... that is the question.

If ISU comes out running, I love our chances of beating the Sycamores. I think our rush defense is very good and maybe, just maybe, we saw a pa$$ defense awaken in the 2nd half. That was no fluke folks. Faulkner was on pace for 560 yards pa$$ing at half, but we completely shut him down in the final 30 minutes.

BIG WIN!

Y
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:19:29 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:33 AM »
This could be a season changing type of win. Gotta keep it going next week. We've shown we can shut down Mr. Bell

ValleyTalk

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
This could be a season changing type of win. Gotta keep it going next week. We've shown we can shut down Mr. Bell
Although I was just a young-en at the time, I recall hearing about that trip to Statesboro, GA in 1991 when YSU was 4-3 and had to beat the Eagles at their place to keep their playoff hopes alive. We won that game and went onto to win every other game enroute to a national title.

Now the analogy may not be the best here, but I think most of you get the idea. That win was a game-changer for that season and for Tressel. This win, let us hope and pray, is the same for this season and Wolford.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 01:25:11 AM »
Next week we got the Sycamores who are 2-3, losing 38-37 to Tennessee Tech tonight. ISU LOVES to run the ball, but we completely shut them down (only 61 yards rushing) last year at home in a 27-6 win on Senior Day. Two years ago, Shakir Bell rushed for well over 200 yards in a shoot-out.

If ISU comes out running, I love our chances of beating the Sycamores. I think our rush defense is very good and maybe, just maybe, we saw a pa$$ defense awaken in the 2nd half. That was no fluke folks. Faulkner was on pace for 560 yards pa$$ing at half, but we completely shut him down in the final 30 minutes.

I like the chances against ISUb too.  They lost to a bottom half OVC team.  Against Tech they had 554 yards of offense, crushed them statistically, but were killed by three interceptions.  Ironically, it was also a pic that stopped their potential upset of Purdue. I could see a high scoring game, with YSU winning by another close finish.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:49 AM »
This is a great win. Most importantly, this might have been a long time since we were able to make the half time adjustment to shut down the other team. It was usually the other way around. Give the credits to the coaches and those players who stepped up. In the last two games, we also rediscovered the tight ends. Their running and catching enabled us to win the game. Hess played a great game, especially with those 4th down situations. I was so depressed after the 1st half that I almost switched over to watch the Ohio State game.
That 4th down TD pa$$ for the game winner reminded me the kick made by Jeff Wilkins against Nova in the play off. They both came after the 4th plays (Hess's run and the catch by our tight end - Goode?).

Go penguins and take down ISU next week.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:08:41 AM by Double ET »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Carson Sharbaugh ET. He must play all game every game. We also put new players in for the second half on defense. I hope we let them start next week as well.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
Carson Sharbaugh ET. He must play all game every game. We also put new players in for the second half on defense. I hope we let them start next week as well.

Adams is better

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
The weakness the first half was poor OL  and  no DL pass rush. They had all day. Second half they did make adjustments, but lets add.............. they got lucky.

They should beat Indiana St. The fear here is that somewhere they will choke on someone they are supposed to beat and won't.  NDSU, SDS and UNI are all formidable still.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »

Adams is better

Cannot argue with your thinking there 0505, I just do not agree. They are both so extremely-talented. At best they are equal ...and the senior should be treated with the respect of the #1-spot. It is what underclassmen need to see.

In my opinion Carson is a more natural receiver, with the ability to adjust routs and go for the ball. Seems to have about 20lbs on Nate and more ability to catch with his hands. However, Nate is a Newark Catholic guy and was bred for this style of offense.  He squares nicely and no one get by him. Would it not be nice to be able to discuss the merits of two great players in all of our positions?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »
The weakness the first half was poor OL  and  no DL pa$$ rush. They had all day. Second half they did make adjustments, but lets add.............. they got lucky.

They should beat Indiana St. The fear here is that somewhere they will choke on someone they are supposed to beat and won't.  NDSU, SDS and UNI are all formidable still.

This post made me laugh out loud.  "choke on someone they are supposed to beat"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:24:32 PM by penguinpower »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
I wasnt in the pocket and cant confirm what Hess saw but watching on the computer I thought he missed the TE early and we were LUCKY that pass cleared the defenders reach....  WOW!!!!  Anyway, as earlier mentioned a team effort with a little luck always helps....  Give people a reason to visit Stambaugh on Saturdays and see what happens.... One opponent at a time...  Sometimes things have a funny way of working out.. Heres to continued success for the GUINs

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »

Adams is better

Cannot argue with your thinking there 0505, I just do not agree. They are both so extremely-talented. At best they are equal ...and the senior should be treated with the respect of the #1-spot. It is what undercla$$men need to see.

In my opinion Carson is a more natural receiver, with the ability to adjust routs and go for the ball. Seems to have about 20lbs on Nate and more ability to catch with his hands. However, Nate is a Newark Catholic guy and was bred for this style of offense.  He squares nicely and no one get by him. Would it not be nice to be able to discuss the merits of two great players in all of our positions?

I see where your coming from definitely. Both are very good TE's

ValleyTalk

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
I wasnt in the pocket and cant confirm what Hess saw but watching on the computer I thought he missed the TE early and we were LUCKY that pa$$ cleared the defenders reach....  WOW!!!!  Anyway, as earlier mentioned a team effort with a little luck always helps....  Give people a reason to visit Stambaugh on Saturdays and see what happens.... One opponent at a time...  Sometimes things have a funny way of working out.. Heres to continued success for the GUINs
I agree. I thought he threw it 1 second too late, but it appears it still got there about 1 second ahead of the time the SIU defender would have tipped it. Phew!