Author Topic: Liberal Arts Colleges  (Read 18015 times)

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Liberal Arts Colleges
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »
I have a liberal arts degree you d*****. 638 out of 650
On the Forbes list does not a fine institution make. Start requiring test scores then
You will be taken seriously. I will direct my kids away from there.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Arts Colleges
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
I have a liberal arts degree you d*****. 638 out of 650
On the Forbes list does not a fine institution make. Start requiring test scores then
You will be taken seriously. I will direct my kids away from there.

I finally got you wound up after all these years of taking your bait!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:06:34 PM »
^ haha

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
A few opinions from what I have read here:

-Nova, relax. I grew up with an Engineering Dean as a father and my daughter has her degree in ChemE. I have a business degree, so obviously it skipped a generation. My father graduated from Fitch with a 4.0 and a "perfect score" on his admissions test to Carnegie. At Carnegie my father attained his PHD in Civil Engineering & graduated #1 in his class. Now the thing that aggravated my dad until the day he died was that he was #2 in his class at Fitch. Why? because a girl in home Econ studies was #1. My father felt that her achievement was less. Her discipline was vocational, not college-bound. Well you know ...he is right.

CIT (now Carnegie Mellon) is a strong college of Engineering and science. It is also a very prestigious Liberal Arts college, which strength is in Film & Theater. My father hated taking the heavy dose of required Liberal Arts courses ...as did I (although no wheres near as difficult) at YSU. He always said that the only reason he graduated from CIT was classical music and pool. He played Baritone in the orchestra (liberal arts credits), and shot pool for income (food and beer). People in applied areas of study view Liberal Arts courses as a necessary evil, the point of which is to give the science and technologically-minded, a "complete" education. It teaches them to think more theoretical. They do not see it as something that a degree should be granted in ...outside of the academic disciplines. Certificates for undergrad and down ...PhD for college or university. Net sum = We have too many people attending college/universities ...and we have to many institutions. Now back to something important ...PENGUIN SPORTS!!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
Power was my neighbor for years. It is all good hearted banter with us.
BA in Economics...not a pure liberal arts degree. No fries wit dat :)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
You know what my father would say about your BA in Econ? ...yes, but you could have taken one more science and two more math classes an received a BS :)

I am laughing, but he was being serious. YSU offered a BS and a BA in Business. My dad made me go for the BS. My minor is in Econ. Funny, my jobs have always come from an 18-credit hour certificate that I received from a community college. I have been promoted a few times & now I actually use my business education.