Author Topic: State of YSU Football  (Read 22159 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: State of YSU Football
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
Are you kidding ?  lol. The  East Division has East Carolina, Marshall, Middle Tenn., UAB (Alabama), Florida Inter., So. Mississippi, and Florida Atlantic. The West division is all the Texas schools and Tulsa....... what are you smoking ?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
Ecu and Marshall are both closer than the 2 closest Mvfc teams.  Isn't odu in there too? Or are they caa?  If odu is in there they are still closer than siu

Your now moving in to the area of even higher budgets .  Below is the list of CUSA teams.  Mostly Florida, Texas and Louisiana.

And ECU is 576 miles from Youngstown.  Illinois State is 512 miles.

Just give it up - its not happening.

East Carolina   
Marshall   
Middle Tennessee   
UAB   
Florida International   
Southern Miss   
Florida Atlantic   
Tulane   
North Texas   
Rice   
UTEP   
Tulsa   
UTSA   
Louisiana Tech

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
Okay I am going to do some math here:

Average Mac team has a budget of $6.9 MM and YSU has a budget of $3.4 MM in football.  Football has to be one of the most expensive programs in any level.  If YSU wanted to maintain football in the MAC then we would need to make up a gap of $3.5 MM per year so how could we do it?

Well right now I am not sure how much we get and pay for games except the money games, but I ll do some Uneducated math based on revenue  and selective expense:

1. $400,000 per year on average from some team plus all ofhter games. 
2.  If we sell 12,000 tickets per game at $15 per ticket and have 7 home games that is $180,000 per game plus profits from concessions and parking. Let's say we clear $200,000 per game.  That is a total of $1.4 MM per year.
3.  Add in five other away games assuming we get $150,000 per game we would get an additional 750,000.

The current total based on my calculaiton is:  $2.55 MM of 3.4 MM total budget.  The gap is $850,000 per year.

If we joined the MAC:

1.  Lets say we could play 2 money games for $900,000 per game assuming they pay D1A programs more money (at leas tthat is my thought).  We would get $1.8 MM for thse games.
2.  Lets say the MAC pays $250,000 per game and the remaining 4 away games pay an additional $1 MM.
3.  Lets also assume that the attendence remains the same but ticket prices reach MAC levels of $30 per ticket.  Then with 12,000 fans each home game it is now worth:  $360,000 per game.  Which is $2.520 MM per year.
4. If you factor in lower away game costs on 4 of the away games you are probably going to save $30k per game conservativley. That is a savings of $120,000 per year.

The new total is now:  $5.44 MM per year.

The potential gap with the middle of the MAC based on my assumptions would be: $1.5 MM lower than the avergage MAC team budget in football. 

Perhaps this is the real gap.  But would YSU fans pay $30 per ticket.

"Fans" dont go to games when Tickets are 5$, no one will go see YSU for 15$ or 30$, No chance in hell

Spiderlegs

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »
Not the best time for YSU to move to FBS. FBS schools are fighting among themselves over receipts and whether to give players stipends beyond their scholarships. In this discussion, conferences like the MAC are regarded as the poor schools or the little schools. There remains the possibility that the big five FBS conferences form a new deal among themselves and/or that some current FBS teams will be pushed out of the FBS as we know it today because they cannot meet future standards for FBS.

Once the FBS resolves this issue (supposedly two years or less, but you know how these things can drag on), the question can be revisited. However, it seems to cost a lot of money to join the MAC just to earn the right to play in the Motor City Bowl.

I think, though, that Wolford's dream of $600,000+ a year for the money game may be pricing YSU out of the opportunity to play the big teams once a year. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
Spiderlegs is absolutely right.  When the Big Five attain independence, whether inside or outside of the NCAA, everything changes.  They will grant stipends to their athletes (I refuse to call them students) and that will end the delusions of the MAC, Sun Belt, and other pretenders.  In a few years, we will be looking at four levels of college football: Elite (Big Five plus Notre Dame,) Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3.  Why spend a fortune "moving up" when those schools will all be "coming down" to us.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
Spiderlegs is absolutely right.  When the Big Five attain independence, whether inside or outside of the NCAA, everything changes.  They will grant stipends to their athletes (I refuse to call them students) and that will end the delusions of the MAC, Sun Belt, and other pretenders.  In a few years, we will be looking at four levels of college football: Elite (Big Five plus Notre Dame,) Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3.  Why spend a fortune "moving up" when those schools will all be "coming down" to us.

I would be surprised to see it play out that way. Leagues like the mac should be worried.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne