Author Topic: State of YSU Football  (Read 22104 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
State of YSU Football
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:07 PM »
I watched the short interviews on Vindy.com of Hannon and Scalzo.  They briefly discussed what seems to be an overwhelming concern that is the MVFC.  How does a community rally around the program and get excited about a conference that spans thousands of miles and includes air travel with the exception Indiana State.  Hannon challenged the university to research everyones favorite topic which is a possible move to the MAC.  He brings up many valid points and suggests the MAC to get involved and let the university know what they can do to be more marketable to their conference.  I am afraid that YSU is really fighting to stay relevant and it continues to show through attendance.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: State of YSU Football
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
it is hard to have any real rival games with all of the road games so far away....it really is ridiculous that YSU plays in the MVFC...

it is also a big dis-advantage for YSU when the team travels to the away games....the facilities at most of the other schools in the MVFC for the visiting teams are sub-par...and laughable...we treat the teams coming into YSU with more then adequate facilities as far as locker rooms..etc...

kforbs126

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »
Personally I think moving to the MAC would be the best thing YSU can do at this point.  Yeah we may get beat up for a few years, that's fine but we could be competitive.

I think the travelling is a huge issue also.  You could travel locally within Ohio and Michigan for the MAC, heck I usually forget half the teams in the MVFC because of where they are.  Who cares about north dakota?  who wants to go there? 

Move to the MAC YSU!!!!!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
Personally I think moving to the MAC would be the best thing YSU can do at this point.  Yeah we may get beat up for a few years, that's fine but we could be competitive.

We're getting beat up now and people are wanting to fire everyone from the team and coaches to Penny Penguin.

I am sure I heard that Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher, MAC Commish., was asked about taking in YSU and he said: "in a short version - NO!"

I think it would be a good idea based on travel, rivalries and attendance.  I wonder if money (budget) is the real issue.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:48:21 AM by ScarletRook »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
My two cents.. "IF" the MAC is not where we belong. I'd like to see a move back to the OVC.. For all sports. I believe that's also a rivalry opportunity. Being in the MVFC only really screws us for carry over chances of a rivalry from B-ball, Baseball etc.. games meets and matches with the same schools  8)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:02:58 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
teh Ohio Valley Conference does not have any football teams from OHIO..!!....the travel is a little better...but not the answer in my opinion...

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
We're not getting into the MAC. Plain and simple guys

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
According to the Vindicator figures about budgets from last spring:

YSU has a football budget of $3.4 million; the average MAC football budget is $6.9 million
YSU has an overall athletic budget of $12.5 million; the average MAC overall athletic budget is $24.2 million

Where does the MAC get that money?  Most of the schools have higher enrollments than we do, some substantially higher.  They also assess their students very steep student athletic fees with their tuition bills.  Higher fees for our students, most of whom must work while they go to school, is not going to happen, and it should not happen.

And what does the MAC get for all that money?  Usually, a lower RPI rating for both men's and women's basketball than the Horizon League.

Now that CAA football has apparently stabilized, that would be a better geographic option.  Football-only in a conference with Delaware, Villanova, James Madison; everything else in the geographically sensible Horizon League.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:26:06 PM by Wick250 »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
Not sure why Scalzo keeps beating this MAC dead horse on his Vindy radio.

Hannon wants a committee to study the impact of travel savings on MAC vs MVFC.  Well Bob, as Wick points out using Scalzo's numbers, unless 100% of the current YSU athletic budget is for travel, savings on travel isn't going to be enough.  In fact, it is going to be a drop in the bucket.

some interesting Tweets here (John Vogel provdied the link on his Twitter account)

https://twitter.com/SportsBizMiss

Kristi Dosh ‏@SportsBizMiss 5m
NCAA CFO said studies show subsidies increase $1.2m when a school moves from FCS to FBS.

Kristi Dosh ‏@SportsBizMiss 11m
The 6 teams who have avg'd more wins per season in FBS than FCS are Boise State, UConn, FIU, La Tech, Marshall and USF.
Expand
 Kristi Dosh ‏@SportsBizMiss 13m
Of 19 teams that moved from FCS to FBS from 1978-2010, 6 have avg'd more wins per season in FBS.

Kristi Dosh ‏@SportsBizMiss 15m
To clarify, teams moving from FCS to FBS from 1978-2010 saw their % of winning seasons drop from 64.4% to 37.2%.

Kristi Dosh ‏@SportsBizMiss 21m
Teams that have moved from FCS to FBS from 1978-2010 saw their winning % decrease from an avg of 64.4% to 37.2%.

Kristi Dosh ‏@SportsBizMiss 22m
Just did a radio interview about schools moving from FCS to FBS and remembered some interesting stats I have...

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
You cant make the move to FBS without a substantial monetary commitment, there has to be a plan and that plan includes possibly taking a hit on win percentage up front, in the hopes that more exposure, brings more interest that brings more money.  Along with this has to be an administration in place that has a proven plan, with a good hiring track record, and patience.  Just "going FBS" means nothing.  All these things lining up are rare, which is why the success rate for fcs to fbs is so low, and why success rates of most schools that have always been FBS pretty bad.  There has to be a plan in place and determination if there is not, its much better and easier to not try.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
DiscMan - well said.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »
We can't even compete in the FCS right now.... That's the thing

kforbs126

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »
I personally think if they can put a good plan together it can be done.  I'm sure the first years would be hard but that's like most programs that move up to FBS. 

Also how much are these student fees that everyone keeps talking about?

Look at all the previous top tier teams in FCS moving or have moved to FBS.  We really wasted our opportunity at moving a long time ago.  I wish we would have done this years ago when we were dominating and winning national titles.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
Towson is 313 miles form YSU.  In a car that would be about 4.5 to 5 hours with current speed limits.  That is still closer than the closest  MVFC team.  AND we would get more coverage from that TSN outfit in Philly becuase the CAA is beloved to them.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »
teh Ohio Valley Conference does not have any football teams from OHIO..!!....the travel is a little better...but not the answer in my opinion...

Better than where we are now. I agree the CAA also would be a better option that the MVFC. The key to all this is going into a conference with ALL SPORTS not splitting the football up from everything else. The MVC would be great for all sports if the YSU Campus was aboutThe MAC is a wild dream periond. We'll never see it in our life time/mine anyways.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:27:08 PM by ysubigred »