Author Topic: YSU falls out of the TSN top 25  (Read 10960 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU falls out of the TSN top 25
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
The loss dropped us out of the top 25. What is really baffling is that the CAA darlings of the TSN have the most teams in the top 25???????????????? :o
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:12:15 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU falls out of the TSN top 25
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
The most embarrassing loss in school history ...did we expect anything less?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »

I get it, but the CAA isn't that good.  The problem is that the Southern Conference is very weak since they lost GA Southern and App State. 

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »

I get it, but the CAA isn't that good.  The problem is that the Southern Conference is very weak since they lost GA Southern and App State.

Neither is YSU. its going to be a 6-5 type season at best

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »

First of all we play 12 games.  6+5=11.  But that type of record wouldn't surpirse me.  The way I see it is we have guaranteed losses against UNI, NDSU, and SDSU (Have we ever beaten SDSU?).  That being said we would be 8-4 at best.

And we could lose to Ill State, Southern Illinois, and an improving Western Illinois. 

If we lose those games we would be 5-7. 

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

First of all we play 12 games.  6+5=11.  But that type of record wouldn't surpirse me.  The way I see it is we have guaranteed losses against UNI, NDSU, and SDSU (Have we ever beaten SDSU?).  That being said we would be 8-4 at best.

And we could lose to Ill State, Southern Illinois, and an improving Western Illinois. 

If we lose those games we would be 5-7.

6-5, 4-8 who cares? its not going to be a good team

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
My lord what a bunch of negative Nellie's. We got our butts kicked, it's over, move on.

Time will tell how the regular season ends up, I'm guessing somewhere between 2-10 and 11-1. There will always be room for improvement, time will tell how well we do.

Get behind the team and get your butts in the seats on Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:01:49 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »
My lord what a bunch of negative Nellie's. We got our butts kicked, it's over, move on.

Time will tell how the regular season ends up, I'm guessing somewhere between 2-10 and 11-1. There will always be room for improvement, time will tell how well we do.

Get behind the team and get you butts in the seats on Saturday.
Totally agree--we could lose every remaining game as well as win every remaining game--both highly unlikely but possible--either way we have to take it one game at a time--things didn't look all that promising in '91 when we were 4-3 after losing 2 straight.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »
55-17. That is pretty bad. 37-3. That is pretty bad too. 37-3 was the score when Penn State clobbered us in 2006.  How did the rest of that season play out?  If Southern Illinois and Indiana State manhandle our lines, I will be in the front of the charge calling for Wolford's dismissal.  But the fact is we play eight games this year against teams that offer 63 scholarships....just like we do.  Until we fail against our peers, this reaction is entirely premature.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 06:45:46 AM »
55-17. That is pretty bad. 37-3. That is pretty bad too. 37-3 was the score when Penn State clobbered us in 2006.  How did the rest of that season play out?  If Southern Illinois and Indiana State manhandle our lines, I will be in the front of the charge calling for Wolford's dismissal.  But the fact is we play eight games this year against teams that offer 63 scholarships....just like we do.  Until we fail against our peers, this reaction is entirely premature.

I agree with this, but the elite teams in the FCS have more than 63 D1 athletes. That is why they are elite.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »

Get behind the team and get your butts in the seats on Saturday.

Guinpen has a great point that we keep forgetting. The point is that we are the very most hardcore fans that post. I, like most all of you that can, are going to attend every Guins game that the Lord lets me. Yet many fans read this board and do not post ...I mean many. We get over 10,000 unique hits a year. Now you have to figure about half of those are attempting spammers and those of us that post from home and work ..or maybe our mobile. I would still say that close to 5k people hit this board (friend or foe) each year. So we have to mention to solid performances by Ruiz, Hess, Liste, etc. ...in addition to the poor performances that we never fail to mention.

Especially basketball ...we need to get fans, from a football town, in the seats at Beeghly. Last year was the most exciting basketball season for me in as long as I can remember.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:00:29 AM »
Hardcore fans are the lifeblood of any team, and any team is lucky to have them.  But what about those fans on the fence, or fans by proximity.  You've got to give them a product to sell, not just speak poorly of them when they dont show up.  Beeghly would be nice to fill, but more than one year of winning has to accompany that.  The way i see it, it takes alot of talent to run a Todd Haley offense, the kind it seems YSU is trying to copy.  It takes toughness , grit and nastiness to have an old school Power run offense, with a wild defense that is YSU's best hope as they do not have access to  the High quality talent.   2nd string in Florida is still 2nd string, and if you cant train or recruit nastiness then another profession might be in order.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
Hardcore fans are the lifeblood of any team, and any team is lucky to have them.  But what about those fans on the fence, or fans by proximity.  You've got to give them a product to sell, not just speak poorly of them when they dont show up.  Beeghly would be nice to fill, but more than one year of winning has to accompany that.  The way i see it, it takes alot of talent to run a Todd Haley offense, the kind it seems YSU is trying to copy.  It takes toughness , grit and nastiness to have an old school Power run offense, with a wild defense that is YSU's best hope as they do not have access to  the High quality talent.   2nd string in Florida is still 2nd string, and if you cant train or recruit nastiness then another profession might be in order.
If they can't sell a dominant, winning team they need to sell the game itself.

Face it, most people don't care about MVFC teams...if we still played MAC teams on occasion people could get behind that but those days are history.

No one cares or will ever care about the MVFC if they are a casual YSU fan. We're playing to local teams this year in Dayton and Duquesne...let's see what the attendance numbers are but I don't think they'll be any better than average...people don't care about those schools either. Kent, Akron, other MAC schools you could generate some excitement for.

Who in their right mind gets excited for these first 4 games when none are against teams on our level? It's like a 4 game preseason.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
If they can't sell a dominant, winning team they need to sell the game itself.

Face it, most people don't care about MVFC teams...if we still played MAC teams on occasion people could get behind that but those days are history.

No one cares or will ever care about the MVFC if they are a casual YSU fan. We're playing to local teams this year in Dayton and Duquesne...let's see what the attendance numbers are but I don't think they'll be any better than average...people don't care about those schools either. Kent, Akron, other MAC schools you could generate some excitement for.
Who in their right mind gets excited for these first 4 games when none are against teams on our level? It's like a 4 game preseason.

Problem is, who else are we gonna get??? Mac schools won't play us. Big10 won't play us anymore..... Now what????

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »
This is Youngstown. Its still about $$$$$$$$$$$$$. The athletic dept jacked up prices again this year, concessions went up and lots of free parking was removed off the streets for the new athletic field construction. When you raise prices and don't have a playoff program you are just begging for more seats to remain empty ( and increase the emptiness). I don't expect attendance to improve. I expect it to drop.