Author Topic: YSU vs. Duquesne  (Read 20051 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs. Duquesne
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »
Dukes enter 2-0 with a 35-24 win over Albany and a 23-20 loss at Dayton.

A quick look at the various statistical rankings

Massey predicts 38-17 and gives YSU a 92% chance of winning

Sagarin makes YSU a 20.5 point favorite

ValleyTalk

Re: YSU vs. Duquesne
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:23:09 AM »
We need to come out with a solid performance against these guys. They are reminiscent of that Albany team we played last year, just not as good. Zach Zidian from Boardman plays for them, so I am sure he will get his team fired up to upset us.

I will be watching the defense closely in this game. Hoping that massacre in East Lansing was just a blip on the radar screen and we can hold the Dukes to 14 points or less.

Go YSU!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
This is a classic "trap" game, even if we had performed well in East Lansing.  Inevitably, the team will be thinking about the league opener, and we are not good enough to take anybody lightly.

Getting destroyed in the trenches exposes and magnifies all other problems.  I don't think that our lines will be overmatched against FCS opponents, at least until UNI.  I do agree, if the defense struggles against Duquesne we will be in serious trouble.

Hey ValleyTalk, is that Ursuline qb still going to Michigan State?  Seems like a risky choice now since he must displace that stud that MSU has waiting in the wings.  He should really go to a big time school that has a senior or junior quarterback.  Or if he really wants to start for four years, I can think of one school where he can easily win the job. 8)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Point well taken, Wick. The cupboard is bare now  that Angle left. We have no significant QB here now. Best hope Hess doesn't get hurt this year because it will be all over with. As for the Dukes, it really shouldn't be much of a game . They have a couple of players ( Ohio St. transfer) who should be good, but team-wise, they are a huge step down.

Best not to be looking ahead to the MVFC, which is going to be a bear again.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Need to come out and dominate.... Btw just FYI: Demond Hymes tweeted today that "He's back" so I'm guessing that means full go and ready to play. I know he's practicing the last week or so. We need him because Pace is not a starting RB and while Ruiz can make plays, he's still a freshman.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
This game is about mental toughness not physical ability.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
Point well taken, Wick. The cupboard is bare now  that Angle left. We have no significant QB here now. Best hope Hess doesn't get hurt this year because it will be all over with. As for the Dukes, it really shouldn't be much of a game . They have a couple of players ( Ohio St. transfer) who should be good, but team-wise, they are a huge step down.

Best not to be looking ahead to the MVFC, which is going to be a bear again.

I am very pleased with everything I see in Tanner Garry. I am not saying that he is our future; but I have seen him 4 times now & his field maturity-level is just awesome. Players seem to like him as well. I would be very interested in what coach Shane has to say about him.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
YSU is on upset alert and i expect this to be a close game
Bad ysu team+sandwhich between MSU and MVFC season=Upset

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
This will be a closer game. They have a couple of BCS transfers on the team and they love to throw the ball.... I'm hearing LB Travis Williams will be out this weekend with an ankle injury he suffered in the MSU game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
They have Dorian Bell a LB that transferred from Ohio state and another transfer from Universidty of Florida that caught my eye.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
Anything is possible but if YSU loses this game they better get a 2nd "Money" game in 2014 to make up for lost revenue in attendance for the remainder of 2013.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
This is a classic "trap" game, even if we had performed well in East Lansing.  Inevitably, the team will be thinking about the league opener, and we are not good enough to take anybody lightly.

Getting destroyed in the trenches exposes and magnifies all other problems.  I don't think that our lines will be overmatched against FCS opponents, at least until UNI.  I do agree, if the defense struggles against Duquesne we will be in serious trouble.

Hey ValleyTalk, is that Ursuline qb still going to Michigan State?  Seems like a risky choice now since he must displace that stud that MSU has waiting in the wings.  He should really go to a big time school that has a senior or junior quarterback.  Or if he really wants to start for four years, I can think of one school where he can easily win the job. 8)

Yes, Durkin is still going to MSU.   He has the capability of being moved to TE.  Played as a receiver his freshman year at UHS.    He is huge and could grow another inch or two.......6'4" about 230 right now and cut.  His dad is a workout fiend so I'm sure Chris is too.   Actually a cousin from my wife's side.   Terry didn't play Saturday, so his redshirt looks to be confirmed for this year.  From everything I have heard about him there is no way Chris beats him out.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »

Yes, Durkin is still going to MSU.   He has the capability of being moved to TE.  Played as a receiver his freshman year at UHS.    He is huge and could grow another inch or two.......6'4" about 230 right now and cut.  His dad is a workout fiend so I'm sure Chris is too.   Actually a cousin from my wife's side.   Terry didn't play Saturday, so his redshirt looks to be confirmed for this year.  From everything I have heard about him there is no way Chris beats him out.

except for the fact Terry cant even beat out the sh*tty QBs they currentley have

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
Losing Travis is a big hit but I don't see this as a trap game.

I am interested to see if they can rebound from a loss. Last year they could not.