Author Topic: MSU In-Game Thread!  (Read 27385 times)

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MSU In-Game Thread!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »
Well they are ranked 3rd in total defense.  It may have been against 2 cupcakes but it's not like their defense is terrible.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p1

Its not like they have a good defense either.
Mich State couldn't even win the MVC,  YSU is in for a LOOOOOONG Year

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
Wow you guys.... This is MICHIGAN STATE. The big 10 for Christ's sake. Some of you make me laugh lol. Wanting to fire everybody.... Calm down

Michigan State has a dogsh*t football team, a Defensive End had more TDs then their entire team combined outside of him comming into today for Chris Sake, they are absoltuley god awful, they are worse then pitt from last year

That's completely false. Their defense is top 10 in the country. The offense might suck a little but their defense is no joke so therefore they are not a "dogsh*t" football team.

No its legit, They dont have a top 10 defense , they played 2 teams worse then YSU and YSU.
They are a dogsh*t football team

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »
EVERYONE. it does us no good to attack each other. Let's hear some specifics ...good or bad.

Right now my hat is off to coach M for dialing up some chance for us early in Q2. It is also off to Hess. I also would like to thank Ruiz for his contributions.

On the negative side ...line play is inconsistent ...great and then horrid. There are no receivers taking charge. Why are we not playing off Calhoon? He is a great player, but very unorthodox ...we need more two-back sets so we can pop him in the mouth a few times.

I also want to know why MSU has not been called for holding about 10-times? That outside lineman has been holding all day, and we are playing so badly, that it looks like we cannot get off him ...but he is holding.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
ANOTHER HUGE HOLD!!!. This time for a TD!!! See what happens when you are so pathetic that the refs do not even look anymore. This hold could not have been more that 2-yards from the official.

Of course, a YSU trademark ...midget tailbacks have career days against us.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:24:34 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
Wheary has no business being a starter right now..... Cant hold onto the ball. 1st two plays of the game and now a kickoff return.... Wow.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
I am so dissapointed in YSU's effort today.  We are better then what we showed, so many dropped passes, especially from the beginning of the game with the botched kickoff and two consecutive dropped passes.  I expected much more from our defense.  I am very depressed right now, and admitedly in a state of shock.  While I did not really expect to win I expected MUCH, MUCH more than what YSU showed.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
We at least scored more than any other them did against them so far this year!!!!! :o

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
I am so dissapointed in YSU's effort today.  We are better then what we showed, so many dropped passes, especially from the beginning of the game with the botched kickoff and two consecutive dropped passes.  I expected much more from our defense.  I am very depressed right now, and admitedly in a state of shock.  While I did not really expect to win I expected MUCH, MUCH more than what YSU showed.

not to depress u any more than you are, but our defense is second rate.  If you think about it the offense had the ball for 19 minutes and tried to run the 25 second clock out each play, but  if you uook at the number of possessions it tells a different story.   The defense couldn't get off the field against an average BCS offense.  We couldn't get pressure with every single poorly designed blitz we had.  The defensive backs weren't challenging their receivers either.  The defense looks as bad as it was under Kravits.  Wolford has the K-State mentallity for a football team and we all know the powerhouse that Snyder built- a bowl game every decade.  F that Carl.  I'm done with this deal. We should be breaking out as an elite team and we are looking losers because we don't have the defensive capability, we don't know how to extract the talent and worst of all we gave up and we didn't fight to the end.  We rolled over late in the game because it didn't matter and they sucked for that reason.  Fight to the end.  Play like men.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:27:30 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
Thoughts from the game.

Hats off to the fans that made the trip.  I hope more bus trips are made available.

Mich. State is not as bad as some said they were but not as good as their fans think they are.  If anyone thought this was going to be a close game they didn't show it.

Spartan players are much bigger than the Penguins.  They beat on us all day.

To the refs: There is such a thing as a holding call.

We did look good at times, so there is some hope. 

I thought the D front four would play all out,  but it appeared that they were afraid to get burned by doing so.

As far as firing Wolford over this, there has to be someone out there much better that would come to YSU before you ditch what you have.  I don't know who that would be.  Things will get tough for the athletic department with the loss of the big money games.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
They were just bigger, stronger, faster than we were. Plain and simple. It doesn't mean we are regressing. They are the Big10. For a reason. Yes FCS teams are beating Big10 teams, but we are not on the level of NDSU and UNI yet. No matter what you want to believe.... Are we improved? Yes. But it's not like we were gonna go out there and win the national championship. All the wins these FCS teams are having are getting to our heads. We are not on that level yet. Sad but true

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
I'd say YSU has regressed.  Last year we beat Pitt and UNI.  This year a PFL team only loses by 18 in our house.  In 2011 we lost to Sparty by a lot less and were actually competitive for most of the game (Hess was 21/25), and beat the nat'l champs in their dome.  In 2010 we were beating a Big 10 team in the second quarter.

The Dayton game made me realize that the Championship era is over, and its not coming back (anytime soon anyway).  During the Heacock years, I just thought we had to wait until he was canned and replaced.  Now it seems that the root problem lies higher up in the Athletic Department.

Should people be fired for the East Lansing Massacre? No, but if we are yet again not invited to the playoffs, than there should be some accountability.  BTW, IMO the only likely path to the playoffs is no more losses until UNI on November 9th.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
0505, this is where I do not agree. We have yet to be any better than any team that coach H had ...less the year we were loaded with injuries and only won 3-games (the year we converted to the spread). This team is not better than the year prior to Wolf's arrival. In fact, it is not any better than last year's team. My issues:

• Wolf recruits great "individual" players, but fails to recruit a great "team".
  • Wolf's best players are not his recruits, yet he causes a mass-exodus that is much worse than one would expect with a new coach. So what if we still had those players? Logic tells me that we would have had a better team a couple of years ago.
  • Wolf seems to not know the MVFC. We do not have a team playing the right "style" of ball (particularly defense) to complete in our conference. Now if our goal is to build a team for the MAC, as many have thought ...we 'might' be okay.

To compete in the MVFC, we need to :
1. become MUCH deeper up front. No less than 11-starters up-front on BOTH sides of the ball. Use all of them every game.
2. Become much taller in the secondary.
3. Become much better in man-to-man coverage.
4. Become an explosive rushing offense once again. Speed AND size. This includes more 2-back sets.

You see, as fans, the people of Youngstown are used to seeing ball played a certain way. Now clearly every coach prior to Wolf knows this ...and Wolf probably does as well. I guess we are resistant to change. Now right or wrong, it is what it is. We do not mind that you change things ...if it is successful.
Examples:

Tressel came in and tried to play ball like EKU (the powerhouse at the time). It was not working, and I was calling for his head. {Honestly I was probably upset about what they did to Duzzer, so I could have been biased}. So about 1989, Tressel changed to an option-style of ball and kept the EKU-style defense ...they brought in Heacock as defensive assistant to help Dantonio, and our defense became one like Michigan's. Great combo ...the rest is history until OSU & the Gateway came calling. We move to the Gateway and compete very well ...including a national title with our option game. Only UNI seemed to be able to stop our spread/option O. Then Tressel decides to start playing Big-10 ball on offense ...2-years later he is in the Big-10 ...no coincidence. Along comes coach H.

Coach H kept playing that outdated style of offense; however, we were big and hit hard ...very entertaining. The team entered the field with 4- flags representing our accomplishments & expectations (not the American flag). Then again as our conference changed, we became less competitive. I was calling for his head about 3-4 years in. Then we had a very successful 2006 & I shut-up about letting him go. Then when he decides to move ahead of the game and (probably too quickly) switch us to more of a spread/option club ...the university decides to let him go.

Along comes Coach W. Again I fully admit that I was not happy at the timing of releasing coach H, so I am sure I have some bias. We are now in the 4-year mark of his tenure, and like his two most immediate predecessors ...I am calling for his head. Again I could be wrong & better things are to come under Wolf. I hope so.

However, if you are going to change things so drastically, you better have some success at it ...and be quick about it. Right now, Wolf has changed things (especially on defense) and is not successful.
Youngstown fans do not mind losing if you play the game well, but we have yet to see a well-payed game against a good team. (I am sorry, but Pitt and UNI were not good teams last year). We are a tough blue-collar town, and that is just how we like our football. We shove it down their throats on both sides of the ball, and if you happen to beat us ...you limp away knowing you played "Youngstown". Fans pack the stands to see a good game of ball & love to see hard hits, solids runs, crisp passes on offense. We love hard-hitting and penetrating defenses that force unadvised passes and QB-keepers, with a secondary & linebackers that takes advantage of it.

Coach Wolf, if you can understand the "book" that I just wrote here; you can spend the rest of your career in Youngstown, and you will have people at "will-call" booths every fall Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:28:30 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
I've slept on it and thought it over.  It was an embarrassing day. Make no mistake , MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled. That said, as the MVFC begins to unfold, I suspect the true state of the program is going to be revealed. I think it will be extremely difficult to win in the MVFC and playoffs questionable. When YSU did get a short field , they scored on a  very good MSU D. But YSU was kept in a long field situation most of the day and the kicking game I expected to keep MSU in long field was limited. A muffed kick-off return and two dropped passes and YSU was off to a terrible start. Next week is another weenie game. The real season starts in 2 weeks when we kick off the MVFC portion. Will YSU be ready for NDSU, UNI, SDS, etc ?

I doubt it.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
Well they are ranked 3rd in total defense.  It may have been against 2 cupcakes but it's not like their defense is terrible.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p1

Its not like they have a good defense either.
Mich State couldn't even win the MVC,  YSU is in for a LOOOOOONG Year

It must take a lot of effort to try and make yourself look so stupid.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
This was an upsetting game to watch!! and it took a day to quiet my nerves. It boils down to EXECUTION, EXECUTION, EXECUTION!!MSU Did it and YSU did not.

* YSU had no pass rush on MSU's QB Cook; he had more than 8 sec. to throw a pass every time.
* Fumble by Ruiz was big; it allowed MSU to score quickly and put the game out of reach
* Miss tackles all over, but #23 couldn't seem to tackle anyone also he had a great opportunity for a pass
   interception from Cook (the ball hit him nearly on the numbers). That play was depth into MSU territory
   and could have been easy YSU touchdown.
* Several passes were dropped and then Hess started to miss his targets like the Dayton game. Stubbs did
   make a sensational catch in the 1st quarter.
* The fumble by Wheary on the kickoff return hurt; but the game was determined by then.
* MSU did indeed control the line and Torrian Pace didn't have a prayer up the middle.
* YSU defense still has a long, long way to go. The MVCF teams will definitely take advantage of YSU's
   defensive passing holes.
* YSU must learn how to hold on to the ball!! These turnovers demoralize everyone.

What happened to Bellamy? I heard he was ready for the Michigan State game.

I remember "Chicken Little" saying: (the sky is falling") well it sure did in E. Lansing