Author Topic: Morehead State  (Read 34703 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Morehead State
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
Last week proved we could run the ball against these lower-level schools. I hope Hess gets together this week. Then I will wait until the following week to see how well we can truly move the ball.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
In response to a question from some interviewer, Montgomery stated that we used about 15% of our playbook against Dayton.  I would expect about the same this week.  Of course, it would be nice if the offense executed that 15% much better this time.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
In response to a question from some interviewer, Montgomery stated that we used about 15% of our playbook against Dayton.  I would expect about the same this week.  Of course, it would be nice if the offense executed that 15% much better this time.

I don't understadn why we wouldn't throw the book at every team.  That foces the opponent to practice defense against many many different plays.  Why would we hold back when you can force them to prepare for anything? i.e. Boise State

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »

I don't understadn why we wouldn't throw the book at every team.  That foces the opponent to practice defense against many many different plays.  Why would we hold back when you can force them to prepare for anything? i.e. Boise State

why would you let other teams figure out how to stop you're offense?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
On paper it may look like you are giving away your offense, but in reality you give them something to prepare for. For example, if you run a two point conversion, the other team will likely have to spend time to defens it. If you run a screen pass to the half back, the will have to practice how to defend it. Wheel route to the Wr, full back lead plays, iso's. Slants , reverses, thow-backs to the QB, draws, half back passes, and gadgets all require preparation. Make the defense prepare for everything (they only have a week to prepare). They cannot prossible prepare for everything.

Why do you think Montgomery's offense was so successful in year 1 with a young QB and now we struggle to run the same plays?  Because we run the same damn plays every game. We only present a few scenarios that require preparation so we make it easy on the opposing defense.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:55:26 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »

That's not how it works lol. Against inferior opponents, you don't show much. You make your future opponents guess until they actually play you
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:14:10 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
What is wrong with my thought process.  It is all about adding enough variation so that the other team cannot correct to gain control.  When you run 3 plays (which appears to be 15% of our playbook) the other team practices how to defend those 3 and has the ability to master it.  How many coaches get beat because of tendency?  Many do because the get comfortable with what they think works, or until they run into a team that learns how to stop it.  I say keep them guessing always. Keep the run pass balance a 50% as a matter of policy and keep the playbook wide open.  When you have 85 plays then run 85 different plays.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
On paper it may look like you are giving away your offense, but in reality you give them something to prepare for. For example, if you run a two point conversion, the other team will likely have to spend time to defens it. If you run a screen pass to the half back, the will have to practice how to defend it. Wheel route to the Wr, full back lead plays, iso's. Slants , reverses, thow-backs to the QB, draws, half back passes, and gadgets all require preparation. Make the defense prepare for everything (they only have a week to prepare). They cannot prossible prepare for everything.

Why do you think Montgomery's offense was so successful in year 1 with a young QB and now we struggle to run the same plays?  Because we run the same damn plays every game. We only present a few scenarios that require preparation so we make it easy on the opposing defense.

not the case.  If you're giving themsomething to prep for then your showing them your hand and what plays you plan to run in that game, which is a huge disadvantage

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »
I follow your logic Power. However a team needs to learn to execute during these easy games. So they need to run plays over and over...not 85 different plays. If you run all different plays, then you do not have to worry about what MSU sees, as we will not be able execute with any consistency.

Additionally, the rules have changed from what it used to be for sharing. In the "old days" teams would share films/tape. I think the parts of the first & third quarters were off-limits & not shared. During those times you ran your plays for the next week. In addition, teams were able truly scrutinize the tapes before they went out to the opposition. Now, the opposition can watch the entire game on WYTV or BTN (even though they are not "supposed" to do so.

Also, it used to be that I-AA coaches had to agree to play "vanilla" vs. big-6 teams in order to get invited back for the money games. I know for a fact that previous YSU coaches were given sets of plays to run, to help out the IA team. Now, I-AA/FCS teams get on schedules years in advance so they can play a more serious game. This is the reason BCS/FBS vs. FCS (non-minority w/scholarship) games are going away.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:40:09 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 05:33:07 AM »
How could any team possibly prepare for an entire playbook?  Think about how many actual hours of playtime a football team has to prepare. Think about how condensed game film sessions must be for players. If you threw the sink out every week there is no way that they could possibly prepare for so many plays. What I don't understand is everyone else's logic.

Look at what Boise State has (for the most part) consistently done every year. They run so many different plays and formations in every game it is amazing. I like to watch them just to see the different plays they will run. With so many different types of plays and so many different induividual plays within the type there the capability exists to truely randomize every play in order to prevent any pattern identification. In a truely randomized play list you could even have the same play run 2-3 even 4 times in a game, but the probability decreases each time the play is run.

Having a fixed playlist vs the big -6 isn't fair competition but doesn't surpise me either. It makes me want to vomit when I think about how staged the games can be. Similar to boxing. That isn't fair to the kids and what is the point of even playing if you can't make it fair. I have never heard that, but it also makes me lose respect for the schools that have handed down scripting. It is actually a form of discrimination.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:14:44 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
Also I do not agree that coach M runs the same plays over & over. He gives the same look, also adding various options based on what look the defense gives him. The success of his offense is based on the QB and RB's ability to read. On run plays, he shifts the line to create different lanes for the back. He has the QB hesitate as long as possible to force the defense to set themselves.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »
No disrespect to Morehead fans, but if we don't beat them by 70 points I will be disappointed.

http://themoreheadnews.com/moreheadstatesports/x1253333920/Video-MSU-vs-Pikeville

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Game preview from the Morehead paper

http://themoreheadnews.com/moreheadstatesports/x250208446/MSU-football-looks-to-rebound-against-Youngstown-State

By MacKenzie Bates - Sports Editor
The Morehead News

Sept. 6, 2013 — New Morehead State football coach Rob Tenyer and the Eagles are eager to put last week’s 13-10 loss to the University of Pikeville behind them.

This week provides a new challenge, as the Eagles will fly north to face off with FCS Power No. 25 Youngstown State on Saturday for a 4 p.m. contest.

“I’m not disappointed in our effort and competitiveness,” Tenyer said. “We came out on the short end. Our mistakes stood out and came in critical times but that’s hard to digest. We’re a young football team.”

Last week in the 2013 debut against the Bears, the Eagles were out-rushed 191-107 but had 271 yards in the air on the arm of redshirt freshman Logan Johnson. Johnson completed 33-of-53 passes but had two big interceptions at key points in the game. Tenyer still has confidence in his starter.

“He’s a mature young man and understand his mistakes,” Tenyer said. “We have to fix some things and there’s an understanding of our tempo of our offense and what the philosophy is and that’s getting the ball out quicker. Logan is going to be OK.”

With the ground game still trying to take shape, Tenyer is hoping the running backs will be ready for Saturday, including Rees Macshara, who only had five carries on 28 yards after being injured last week.

“We got away from the run a little bit and tried to get the big play (last week against UPIKE),” Tenyer said. “This week will be tough. They’re big and tough and physical up front. We have to tweak things in the run game to get our guys going.”

The 25th ranked Penguins (1-0) opened the season with a 28-10 win over Dayton last Thursday. This is the first time since 1987 the two teams have squared off against each other when each school was in the Ohio Valley Conference. YSU leads the series 8-6 and has won the two most recent meetings played in Youngstown. Tenyer and his players know the task ahead of them.

“They’re full scholarship and in my opinion, one of the top 10 teams in the FCS,” Tenyer said. “It’s one game to prepare for each side. I want our guys to go up there, compete and play hard and see what happens.”

Tenyer added: “We have to make a major step in improvement from week one to week two. We have a superior opponent in Youngstown State,” Tenyer said. “Both of us have one game to prepare off and what you see is what you get. We’ll both make adjustments.”

The Eagles have one big key, which Tenyer believes is confidence to know that his team can play with anyone.

“Like I said last week, the team that makes the least amount of mistakes will likely be the team that comes out on top,” Tenyer said. “In year’s past we’ve gone into games like this where they think they might not win the game. It’s about going into a game no matter who, where or what time you’re playing. Just go out and compete and have fun and see what happens at the end of the game.”

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
A high School team in Y-town could beat this team.  This should be UGLY

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
Line down to 39 1/2. People wagering on Morehead!! Reminds me of our Beeghly Center chants during the old OVC days during the pre-game warm-ups.   "WE WANT MORE HEAD"