Author Topic: MSU Game  (Read 39469 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MSU Game
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Professional bookmakers, who have no loyalty whatsoever beyond their bank accounts, think that Michigan State will win by 26.5 points.  And yet FCS fans, ours and others, are actually picking us to win this game.  This is getting really crazy.  NDSU has a great defense.  Can we all agree on that?  Well, Michigan State has a better defense....much better.  This will be a gigantic challenge.  What pains me is that if Michigan State drubs us, a distinct possibility, uninformed FCS fans will now make us an object of ridicule.  No such stigma gets attached to James Madison, who could not even defeat a bad Akron team.

Excellent Post Wick.  You are dead on the money here.  I couldn't agree more.

Let me guess Wick...AGS boards?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Dantonio has named sophomore Cook as the starting quarterback with true freshman Terry slated in at #2

http://statenews.com/article/2013/09/cook-named-starter-terry-slated-as-backup-against-youngstown-state

Head football coach Mark Dantonio announced at his press conference today that sophomore Connor Cook will enter practice this week as the starting quarterback, while true freshman Damion Terry will prepare as the backup for MSU’s week three matchup against Youngstown State.

Cook got the first start of his career last week against South Florida, and finished six-for-11 through the air with 32 yards while splitting time with redshirt freshman Tyler O’Connor and senior Andrew Maxwell. Terry was withheld against the Bulls with a thumb injury and illness.

Dantonio said Terry will begin the week as the No. 2 man and he will evaluate whether the true freshman can handle the responsibilities throughout the week of practice. He said Tuesday he doesn’t want to burn Terry’s redshirt just to see him play one game, and that Terry won’t play if he’s unprepared.

Terry arrived this summer as a heralded four-star dual-threat quarterback prospect after a decorated senior season at Erie Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa. Chants of “We want Terry,” have emerged from the student section in two home games so far this season.

In MSU’s second closed scrimmage of fall camp, Terry threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 40 more against what was said to be primarily first-team defenders. according to a release from the athletics department

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
Wick is exactly right. Get used to seeing alot of Nick Liste. He'll be the most important Penguin on the field Saturday. Without a special teams or defensive score,  14-17 points would be cause for celebration. We'll give up more than that. And the line is up to 27. Early $ on MSU. If you really think we're going to win, I suggest a flight to Vegas and play YSU to win straight up as MSU is 5600 to 1 favorite with no line. You can fly back first class!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »
Good point IP. My son-in-law is an OSU grad and big fan. He went to his fist Penguin game against UD and he said that List is better than any punter in the big-10 (at least what he saw that game). List is really "booming" them this year, with good drops. If this continues ...he will be getting a pro try-out.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
So much are we getting paid for this game??

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »
I have a stupid and unrelated question, but how does the board choose to make an new page?  Is it by number of posts or is it by amount of info?  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »
$650,000   Second largest Big 10 payday this year - only the OSU - FAMU game pays more.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/mobile/story/big-ten-to-pay-just-under-5-million-to-f?blockID=918507&tagID=12114

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 04:42:24 AM »
I have a stupid and unrelated question, but how does the board choose to make an new page?  Is it by number of posts or is it by amount of info?  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

number of posts ...15.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
Fans on the MSU message boards are thinking that MSU will score 3-4 offensive TD's against our defense and get a defensive TD as well.  they do not think that we will score more than 3 points on thier defense.

If you go to youtube.com and search for Michigan State Athletics it will take you to a page showing a practice interview with players.  They have lots of Ohio players on the team and the players said they are not taking YSU lightly, that we are a program on the rise competing for conference championships.  The Ohio players were also saying that YSU football is a big deal and very important to the area and that YSU does not care who their lining up agianst they are going to bring it.  See if the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oraLyCLqp9E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWBSBTSrUk_pym0Q42PA4Mw
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:44:19 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
Michigan State blog does 5 questions with Joe Scalzo:

http://www.theonlycolors.com/2013/9/11/4717590/michigan-state-football-game-week-q-a-youngstown-state

This week, MSU hosts Youngstown State. Beat reporter Joe Scalzo from The Youngstown Vindicator was kind enough to answer some questions about the Penguins.

1. There have been many FCS upsets of FBS teams this season. Is that something that gives the Penguins some more motivation or confidence for this Saturday?

I think they gain confidence from the fact that they were competitive against Michigan State two years ago, then beat Pitt last year. And I'm sure YSU's coaches will draw attention to the fact that Jim Delany compared FCS schools to junior varsity teams last week. On a deeper level, I think every FCS player believes he's good enough to play at the FBS level and wants to prove it. This game means significantly more to FCS players, YSU's included.

2. Offensively, YSU has put up some impressive numbers. What should MSU expect to see in terms of style, and who are some playmakers?

YSU leads the FCS in rushing right now (363.0 yards per game), although some of that was due to the level of competition. (The Penguins played two non-scholarship FCS teams.) Still, Eric Wolford loves to run the ball to set up play-action. YSU's offense has been the strength of the team in his four seasons but it's more of a grind-it-out, control-the-clock approach. Other than WR Andre Stubbs (who is also a running threat), there's not a lot of explosive playmakers. But when QB Kurt Hess is playing well, he makes good decisions and keeps the chains moving.

3. On the other side of the ball, it hasn't taken much to stop this MSU offense. How has Youngstown State's defense looked, and who are some key players?

YSU's defense has been a weakness in recent years but it's looked a lot faster this season. One player to watch is junior linebacker Travis Williams, who is a three-year starter who transferred from the University of Miami (Fla.). He's got NFL talent. The secondary is a little suspect, but, like you said, Michigan State hasn't exactly been lighting up the scoreboard.

4. What are three keys to victory for the Penguins?

The first key is turnovers. When YSU went through a four-game losing streak last year, it had a bundle of turnovers in three of those games. Turnovers always matter, but they matter more when the other team has a lot more talent.The second key is running the ball. Hess has been a little shaky at times over the past two seasons and he's not usually someone who can win the game by himself.Third? The Penguins need a little luck. Maybe get a couple turnovers or some lucky bounces.

5. Do you have a score prediction?

I think Michigan State will win 28-13. Because Narduzzi's dad coached at YSU (and was fired just before the Penguins hired Jim Tressel), and because Dantonio has YSU ties, they're not going to look past YSU, especially after all the FCS upsets this season. But I think the Penguins can keep it close, in part because the Spartans don't look like they're going to be blowing anyone out this year.

Thanks again to Joe for answering some questions. Check out Vindy.com for Youngstown State coverage

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Line down to MSU -24 Big $ on YSU!!!! Must be Paladin spending his millions!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
Paladin's Pigskin Pick this week is YSU, 24-21. There are 3 reasons why.  #1 is the kick game -- if Liste booms them and keeps MSU's O in a long field, our D should contain much of the nation's WORST Passing   O( by stats) and if he can place short kicks into the corner so they have to go 80-90+yds, YSU 's D has an advantage.  #2 -- YSU's D should handle a poor passing team and stop what is now a one dimensional run game by MSU . Spartans have played two poor teams so far and struggled to beat both. YSU will be the best team they have played so far.  Young MSU QBs will get blitzed and pressured. I look for some turnovers to help the Guins.  #3 -- YSU's O, which hasn't shown many plays in two easy wins so far will be  released with a wealth of running backs, a bevy of talented WRs and a record setting QB. If there is a weak link here, it is in an untested OL who have some players I see as "shakey". So, the view is if YSU can keep MSU's O in a long field situation, their D should hold and maybe force some turn-overs. If MSU is held and turns the ball  over to YSU in short field situations, YSU will score on the Spartans by the run, the pass and kicking. This won't be a domination like Pitt was, but should be a game YSU is in all the way with a shot to win even at the end. If YSU is put in long field situations , they will struggle against a good MSU  D and not  have much chance to win. While the Spartans remain the favorites, if the above scenario takes place, an upset is in the cards.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
I hope that I am absolutely wrong and that Paladin and our rude new friend are correct.  I am just not seeing it.  True, MSU struggled on offense for two weeks.  That just makes them more dangerous against their third opponent with inferior talent.  Do you really believe that our inexperienced d-line can "handle" their offensive front?  Do you think that our much-maligned defensive backs can shut down their wide receivers?  Most importantly, do you feel that our also inexperienced o-line can block their front seven?  Again, I would be absolutely delighted if I am dead wrong.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »
I hope that I am absolutely wrong and that Paladin and our rude new friend are correct.  I am just not seeing it.  True, MSU struggled on offense for two weeks.  That just makes them more dangerous against their third opponent with inferior talent.  Do you really believe that our inexperienced d-line can "handle" their offensive front?  Do you think that our much-maligned defensive backs can shut down their wide receivers?  Most importantly, do you feel that our also inexperienced o-line can block their front seven?  Again, I would be absolutely delighted if I am dead wrong.

I'm with Wick...although I also hope the ghost of paladin is right. We can win if all the breaks go our way but it still boils down to Big10 recruits vs. FCS recruits.

If their O struggles and the fans get on them maybe we have a shot. Hess must be accurate and get rid of the ball quickly if he can do that we have a punchers chance.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
I believe Hess has to come out throwing. Get the ball in Stubbs hands, get him in space. Coming out and trying to run against this D early will not work. If YSU can't score, at least pin the Spartans deep like Paladin said and make that offense go 80 yards.