Author Topic: MSU Game  (Read 39425 times)

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MSU Game
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:22 PM »
Guess that means we won't be playing Northern Illinois this year--oh well we will have our hands full Southern Illinois and maybe even Western Illinois. :(

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »
Now that we have beaten that dead horse, lets get back on track.
This will be a very tough game for the Penguins. 
Not much if anything will be in their favor.  Outcome depends on performance.
Hope to be in E. Lansing on Saturday

With that said, "LETS GO GUINS!"

Back to you in the booth

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
What does everyone think about #1? Childs could not keep up last week. The Spartans are going to exploit that something fierce Morehead also averaged just over 4ypc and over 300 yards of offense.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »
What does everyone think about #1? Childs could not keep up last week. The Spartans are going to exploit that something fierce Morehead also averaged just over 4ypc and over 300 yards of offense.

He got beat on one play? And it's easy to rack up 400 yards of offense when all YSU did was play base defense all day. They scored 2 TD's the whole game. Relax, Childs is our best corner
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:31:02 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »

I saw that and I will say  a few things:

1. It was a perfect pass becuase it was like a fade in the corner.
2. Childs should have disrupted his timing at the LOS but he didn't.
3.  The pass rush was not fast enough on that play.

I will say that we do need to be concerned about picking up the back out of the backfield.  We have been burned twice on plays where the QB throws to the RB or FB releasing out of the backfield.  That is what we need to be concerned about and get it corrected.

You are allowed to hit the receiver within the first 5 yards of the LOS (unless the rules have changed).  I say hit them and mess up the timing routes.  That is old school defense.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:16:32 PM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »
I saw the press conference and I agree with the coach on why he ran the 2 point conversion.  That is exactly what I was talking about last week.  Not htat the coach proably cares, but I am happy he is making MSU prepare for a 2 point conversion among many other plays.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:46 PM »
Wick I was thinking the same thing, but really wondering if it is a visit from our old friend Pally????? Makes you think......Dan I would keep my eyes open, you never know.

GOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:33 AM »
Michigan State has opened as a 26 1/2 point favorite

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:12 AM »
Michigan State has opened as a 26 1/2 point favorite

I would take that.  They have proven they can score with defense. I dont think they will cover.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 07:13:42 AM »
Hell has frozen over. Paladin, who stated we didn't have a chance at the playoffs this year, has picked YSU to upset MSU:

And folks, there are a lot of fans picking YSU across the nation. We caught MSU at the right time.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 08:04:58 AM »
Hell has frozen over. Paladin, who stated we didn't have a chance at the playoffs this year, has picked YSU to upset MSU:

And folks, there are a lot of fans picking YSU across the nation. We caught MSU at the right time.

I hope you are right Valley...the tail end of our schedule is brutal and a big win here can help carry us in voters minds if we stumble.

Keep in mind MSU had a couple softy games too...maybe they are playing it close to the vest as well. Maybe they will continue to do so and blow it while looking ahead to ND.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »
We are goignt o have a lot of trouble moving the ball on them.  With the struggles that Hess has against good defenses, I am concerned.  MSU is running a spread O this year with read option etc.  MSU defense has practiced against the spread.  The last time we played them, they had not defended the spread and afterward the kids asked the coaches to teach them how to defend the spread.

This is a toss up to me.  We will have a lot of trouble with at least two of their D Linemen (High Round NFL picks) and their secondary is superb.  If we can't run and we are forced to pass we could turn it over and then......we won't win.  If I had a crystal ball and could see how well we could move the ball, then I would feel better about the game. Becuase this is game #3 for both teams, the rust should be shaken off and both teams should be reachign mid season form that is also a concern.  If this was the first game, it would be easier.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
Detroit Free Press article

http://www.freep.com/article/20130910/SPORTS07/309100032/michigan-state-spartans-youngstown-state

By Joe Rexrode

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

EAST LANSING — Youngstown State looked like one of the easiest games on Michigan State’s schedule just a couple of weeks ago. But now? For one thing, there are no easy games for the Spartans, not with two offensive touchdowns in two games.

For another, the Football Championship Subdivision Penguins are 2-0 and gained 718 yards — 359 rushing and 359 passing — in a 67-13 win Saturday over Morehead State. If they can find a way to surprise MSU’s defense with big plays Saturday at Spartan Stadium (2 p.m., Big Ten Network), this game could be more interesting than it was supposed to be when scheduled.

Youngstown State, the former employer of MSU coach Mark Dantonio, will try to beat a Big Ten team for the first time in six tries. Last season, the Penguins got their first win over a Football Bowl Subdivision team, Pittsburgh, and two years ago hung with MSU into the fourth quarter in an eventual 28-6 loss.

“It’s obviously a big football game,” YSU coach Eric Wolford told the Youngstown (Ohio) Vindicator after Saturday’s game. “It’s a Big Ten team; they’re nationally ranked, and they’re well-coached. We went up there and played two years ago, and it’s a great environment, a fun place to play. You’re in the wrong business if you don’t get excited to play Michigan State.”

YSU quarterback Kurt Hess told the Vindicator he started thinking about the Spartans “in the locker room” after Saturday’s game.

The Penguins may sense vulnerability, considering MSU beat Western Michigan, 26-13 — after which the Broncos lost to FCS team Nicholls State. A week before MSU beat South Florida, 21-6, the Bulls lost, 53-21, to FCS team McNeese State.

Then again, Morehead State is a non-scholarship team that lost to Pikeville of the NAIA in its opener. And the Penguins beat non-scholarship FCS team Dayton, 28-10, in their opener — then spent a week answering questions about their struggling offense.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
Professional bookmakers, who have no loyalty whatsoever beyond their bank accounts, think that Michigan State will win by 26.5 points.  And yet FCS fans, ours and others, are actually picking us to win this game.  This is getting really crazy.  NDSU has a great defense.  Can we all agree on that?  Well, Michigan State has a better defense....much better.  This will be a gigantic challenge.  What pains me is that if Michigan State drubs us, a distinct possibility, uninformed FCS fans will now make us an object of ridicule.  No such stigma gets attached to James Madison, who could not even defeat a bad Akron team.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »
Professional bookmakers, who have no loyalty whatsoever beyond their bank accounts, think that Michigan State will win by 26.5 points.  And yet FCS fans, ours and others, are actually picking us to win this game.  This is getting really crazy.  NDSU has a great defense.  Can we all agree on that?  Well, Michigan State has a better defense....much better.  This will be a gigantic challenge.  What pains me is that if Michigan State drubs us, a distinct possibility, uninformed FCS fans will now make us an object of ridicule.  No such stigma gets attached to James Madison, who could not even defeat a bad Akron team.

Excellent Post Wick.  You are dead on the money here.  I couldn't agree more.