Author Topic: Football traditions I would like to see come back  (Read 9841 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Football traditions I would like to see come back
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
I know that I have brought these up before, but here are a few things I would like to see:

1. I would like to see the return of the Penguin Kamikaze flags, instead of the American flag being carried out by the team. I can see carrying the US flag in a game in November, to honor our vets. However, outside of that, to me it is almost insulting to the US flag. Reminds me of the south , when they used to run out with the confederate flag. The Kamikaze flag should be done in one of two ways:
a) one for each win of the season. Or,
b) 4, representing our 4-titles.

2. I wish the Pride would go back to more traditional music. I mean, if one wants to hear Journey, they  just need to turn on the radio to any classic-rock station. Marches and instrumental pop are things you only get to hear at games. Certainly you can do a more pop-piece (especially in concert formation), but not rock music. I fell like I am watching a high-school band.

3. there is one exception to #2. Please go back to playing the "Mighty Quinn" by Manfred Mann. The band should play it in the stands, and on the field. The speakers should play it when they want to get the crowd going. As "Hang on Sloopy" is to the Buckeye fans so should "Mighty Quinn" be for Penguin faithful:

They would need to show the lyrics a couple of times up on the scoreboards, but it goes:

"Come all without, come all within, you'll not see nothing like the Mighty Guins".

Of course the original uses the word "Quinn" (as opposed to 'Guins'), we just modify the one word. I know that Bob Dylan did this, but Manfred Mann did a much more popular version.

Any thoughts? Anything else you would like to see?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:14:52 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football traditions I would like to see come back
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
A home playoff game  :(

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
Happy, several home playoff games. 8)  But IAA Fan is right about the band.  Their job is to maintain tradition and connect with the fans.  Their music selections leave much to be desired.  A marching band sounds best when they play....marches.  First, the band should establish March Grandioso as their signature entrance piece.  A Dana graduate composed that music, so it belongs to us.  To hades with Texas.  Second, a signature song is appropriate.  The parody of Manfred Mann would certainly work.

Also, I agree that running out on to the field with that American flag is strange and rather pointless,  I do find it disrespectful and can easily see why veterans would be insulted by that practice  (A game ain't a war, folks.)  A distinct university flag is a very good idea. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Wolf started the whole American flag thing correct? I'd like to see the team line up in like 4 or 5 rows across the goal line and do the get hype and sway thing while locking arms and run out onto the field. Always thought that was cool.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
I would love to ditch the piped in music altogether and just go with classic marching band songs.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
Happy, excellent point.  Someone thinks that if they play very loud, piped music, our crowd will get excited.  Actually, our crowd gets annoyed.  I have said this several times and will keep repeating it.  Get some crowd microphones in front of that band.  At crucial times, have the band play bars from the fight song between plays.  That would motivate our crowd and be much more effective than piped music, or those stupid bell sounds.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
If I ever win the lottery I will buy YSU a new sound system for their stadium and some different video clips to play on the scoreboard.
The American Flag carried by the team doesn't bother me, but I would honestly like to know how our veterans feel on the subject. 
Do our thoughts/suggestions get any further than the message board?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:13:00 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »
The band did an excellent job playing the YSU fight song at Pitt.  While we were waiting for the storm to pass they were great. All it took was a request.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
The mighty Guin song is cool, I liked when the tuba section did the pyramid and snaked over the field. A couple of other things would be nice - oh yeah maybe 2 or 3 NC's in the next 5 years.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
If I ever win the lottery I will buy YSU a new sound system for their stadium and some different video clips to play on the scoreboard.
The American Flag carried by the team doesn't bother me, but I would honestly like to know how our veterans feel on the subject. 
Do our thoughts/suggestions get any further than the message board?

Yes. A scoreboard where I can actually see a replay lol

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 04:35:57 AM »
Championship Parades

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »
I'm a vet anmd the first time I saw it I was trying to understand why they were carrying the flag. The pregame ceremony honors the flag in the appropriate way.  The greatest concern for me is that they could drop the flag or allow it to touch the ground. I udually watch for it carefully. Since we are a free country and this is what I served to protect, I do not care if the team wants to run out with the flag (it is their right). But somehow it does not fit into the game for me. Maybe there is something behind the meaning that the coaches are using to teach the kids.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
I once heard Woody Hayes say that "every young person (on the team) should carry the American flag with him to remind him of the freedoms and opportunities they have been blessed with."  However, the people I know that played for Coach Hayes said that you better be focused on nothing but the game from the time you get out of bed in the morning and I know Woody had a lot of respect for the flag.  Anyone know a YSU team member that would comment on their thoughts?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
Let's not forget the opening day fly-over! My daughter is 23 & she still talks about those.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:30:56 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:26:00 AM by IAA Fan »