Author Topic: Dayton Game  (Read 58952 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Dayton Game
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
I am not writing off Hess like some.

This kid has been great for 3 years and now he is done?   YSU fans are like Browns fans without the noise.  "He stinks" and "Hess sucks"  should never show up on my computer screen.

Here is  the problem as I see it...................OL and DL

Think about it    We lost everybody but Elkins from what was arguably the best OL here in a long time----the replacements either haven't reached the level of improvement they needed or they shouldn't be here in the first place.

DL---My memory fails a bit but didn't we lose everyone there too?  Again  we try to fix the DL with JUCOs every couple years.  I hate that route, while realizing that any stud DL in high school ain't coming to YSU.

In both areas it is tough to win when you are starting guys that have the talent level of back-ups.  Whether that is poor evaluation when recruiting, poor progression of improvement, or whatever   I don't know.  But those are the problem areas as I see them.

BTW  Chris Sammarone did a great job on the radio last night.

Hess is very overrated. He's a system QB. Can't read coverages very well and when stuff breaks down and he has to make a decision, he crumbles and chokes. This isn't new for me. Been saying it for 3 years. Great kid, just an average QB... But I will agree, besides Elkins and Bryant, the OL does need some work. D-Line looked fantastic. Coleman and Rivers looked fast off the edge and Octavius Brown and Krmoah are big stuffers in the middle

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
I am not writing off Hess like some.

This kid has been great for 3 years and now he is done?   YSU fans are like Browns fans without the noise.  "He stinks" and "Hess sucks"  should never show up on my computer screen.

Here is  the problem as I see it...................OL and DL

Think about it    We lost everybody but Elkins from what was arguably the best OL here in a long time----the replacements either haven't reached the level of improvement they needed or they shouldn't be here in the first place.

DL---My memory fails a bit but didn't we lose everyone there too?  Again  we try to fix the DL with JUCOs every couple years.  I hate that route, while realizing that any stud DL in high school ain't coming to YSU.

In both areas it is tough to win when you are starting guys that have the talent level of back-ups.  Whether that is poor evaluation when recruiting, poor progression of improvement, or whatever   I don't know.  But those are the problem areas as I see them.

BTW  Chris Sammarone did a great job on the radio last night.

Hess is very overrated. He's a system QB. Can't read coverages very well and when stuff breaks down and he has to make a decision, he crumbles and chokes. This isn't new for me. Been saying it for 3 years. Great kid, just an average QB... But I will agree, besides Elkins and Bryant, the OL does need some work. D-Line looked fantastic. Coleman and Rivers looked fast off the edge and Octavius Brown and Krmoah are big stuffers in the middle

apparentley watching Hess play is new to you

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
I know that Dayton is notorious for not updating the player's weights from their freshman year.  The o line and d line looks more like this:

O-Line : 290 - 300 - 275 - 275 - 285

D-Line : 240 - 275 - 270 - 235

Still smaller than YSU, but not as bad as the UD roster makes it seem.

I doubt it
There was no way in hell Dayton's #56 was 240. He was at least 280-285 on that OL. You come here and complain all game long, leading me to believe you weren't even there in person. I was there in person and their OL was bigger than what their website says... End of story.

Disagree with your assessment on our defense penguin power. That defense will shut down most rushing attacks on our schedule. With Peterman returning in a few weeks, the pass defense will improve.

Again... We won by 18 with 4 turnovers. I predicted a 21 point win and we came close to it. You guys expecting a 40 point stomping had no regard for our opponent. This is the offense we saw in the final 3 games of last season with a much improved defense.

Nonetheless, the results around the MVFC as a whole last night were ugly. ILSU and INSU got pounded by relatively weak FBS schools. MSU lost to Northwestern State? WIU had a big win over Hampton.

the coaches check their weight every month, ill take their word over yours all day long, your wrong, end of story.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
It seems that Hess developed PTSD during that pic 6 at the NDSU beating last year, and hasn't been the same since.  I recall being amazed at his performance at Penn State in his and Wolford's first game, as well in the win at Pitt.  Last night was bad.  Overthrown passes when there was time in the pocket.  Botched snap.  Pics.  I do think it is time to groom somebody for next season and give them playing time. 

Strollo again during an interview restated that playoffs are the expectation here, despite one playoff season since he has become AD.  Really just a slogan anymore.  It occurred to me last night that YSU is no where close to a playoff caliber team, and likely wont be in the next upcoming seasons.  Last year at this time we beat Pitt, and a year later we struggle with a PFL team.  Seems highly improbable we'll have a winning record in the MVFC, and maybe not even for the season as a whole. The team has regressed rather than improve.  Strollo hired Heacock, and Wolford and is ultimately accountable.  Yes we have new facilities. Is there a campus that isn't renovating and adding new buildings?  The WATTS is due to Tressel more than Strollo.

As far as Heacock versus Wolford, Heacock was not in the playoffs at this point yet either, and got clobbered by BCS teams, where Wolf has beaten one. Wolf beat UNI, Heacock...no.  Heacock inherited a championship caliber team, and only had to maintain it.  Wolford inherited a mess, and was asked to rebuild it.  Big difference.  Strollo never should've renewed Heacock's contract, and should not renew Wolford's either, unless there is a playoff invite this year (doubtful).

the Freshman Ricky Davis seems next in line from what i've heard/read but they want to get the extra year out of him so he's hopefully going to RS all year

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
One problem I have with the crowd..... MOVE THE STUDENTS TO THE HOME SIDE. That really irritates me

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
I waited until I cooled off before commenting.  I recommend that course of action to everybody.  We coughed up the football seven times (two picks, two lost fumbles, three retained fumbles.)  Eliminate all or most of those errors and it becomes a 49-7 game and we are all a lot happier today.

Hess was bad but why this piling on?  He knows it, Wolford knows it, we all know it.  Regardless of Hess' performance, Nania must play one half against Morehead State and Duquesne.  That must be scripted and not dependent upon the score in any way.

I was upset with the defense only once last evening, because it duplicated a lack of focus that we have been enduring for far too long.  After we scored to lead 21-3 in the third quarter, we allowed that team to drive the length of the field for their touchdown.  An unacceptable letdown that must end.

The Dayton punter boomed his first kick.  Thereafter, Stubbs was ten yards too deep on each subsequent kick.  Most were short and then bounced away.  One he lunged at and fumbled.  That positioning error was entirely on the coaches.  However, as someone stated, in general the special teams were better.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
One problem I have with the crowd..... MOVE THE STUDENTS TO THE HOME SIDE. That really irritates me

Why, I love that they are right behind the bad guys let them taunt. Also keeps the opposing fans from getting close to their team.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
No panic button yet.  If we are going to make the play offs we will need to win in November.  For whatever reason it seems the Pitt game and the North Dakota game messed this team pysche.  I was actually surprised with the crowd turnout. As for Hess he will come around.  The secondary still is a weakness and with no pass rush it will be exploited.  on offense we forgot about using te.
A Penguin for life!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
The only thing that sold out last night was the student allotment of tickets. Clearly the rest of the stadium was not full. Poor communication by some it sounds like...

And all is not lost folks, Kent used a late Colin Reardon (Poland HS) TD pass to beat FCS Liberty 17-10. This is a Kent team that was loaded last year and had their best season... Perhaps ever.

I will take the 18 point win over Dayton. Need to eliminate the turnovers next week and good things will happen.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
I waited until I cooled off before commenting.  I recommend that course of action to everybody.  We coughed up the football seven times (two picks, two lost fumbles, three retained fumbles.)  Eliminate all or most of those errors and it becomes a 49-7 game and we are all a lot happier today.

Hess was bad but why this piling on?  He knows it, Wolford knows it, we all know it.  Regardless of Hess' performance, Nania must play one half against Morehead State and Duquesne.  That must be scripted and not dependent upon the score in any way.

I was upset with the defense only once last evening, because it duplicated a lack of focus that we have been enduring for far too long.  After we scored to lead 21-3 in the third quarter, we allowed that team to drive the length of the field for their touchdown.  An unacceptable letdown that must end.

The Dayton punter boomed his first kick.  Thereafter, Stubbs was ten yards too deep on each subsequent kick.  Most were short and then bounced away.  One he lunged at and fumbled.  That positioning error was entirely on the coaches.  However, as someone stated, in general the special teams were better.

Also Bellamy slowed down on that 80 yard run and as a result he didn't make it into the end zone. >:(

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
The only thing that sold out last night was the student allotment of tickets. Clearly the rest of the stadium was not full. Poor communication by some it sounds like...

And all is not lost folks, Kent used a late Colin Reardon (Poland HS) TD pass to beat FCS Liberty 17-10. This is a Kent team that was loaded last year and had their best season... Perhaps ever.

I will take the 18 point win over Dayton. Need to eliminate the turnovers next week and good things will happen.

Kent also lost a ton of starters, their coaches from last year and their best player and a heisman canidate in the 1st possesion of the game, thats a pretty terrible comparison to make between the 2 games.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
Been gone from this board for a while.

See we have some new posters.

I am going to ruminate on  posts for about a week and then I will see if I am argumentative or not.

This is gonna be a fun year.  Wolford is under the gun, attendance, defensive shortcomings, O. L. problems (which will turn into QB problems), the Mangino effect, recruiting  and why we are behind a lot of the MVFC teams in recruiting, talent evaluation, blah blah blah, lack of speed at WR and DB, how you pronounce Dubem's name, how you pronounce Cheaib's name, lots of stuff.

Lots to talk about
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Been gone from this board for a while.

See we have some new posters.

I am going to ruminate on  posts for about a week and then I will see if I am argumentative or not.

This is gonna be a fun year.  Wolford is under the gun, attendance, defensive shortcomings, O. L. problems (which will turn into QB problems), the Mangino effect, recruiting  and why we are behind a lot of the MVFC teams in recruiting, talent evaluation, blah blah blah, lack of speed at WR and DB, how you pronounce Dubem's name, how you pronounce Cheaib's name, lots of stuff.

Lots to talk about
Always enjoyed your analysis. OT... What's the deal with Boardman's tiny football roster. How's the Cards looking.

Go GUINS!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »
I know many schemes have changed and many are scene as old.  However, with a noticeable size, speed and athleticism advantage why not have Hess under center and throw slants across the middle to any of the receivers?  It seems as though the plays are so slow to develop.... Dayton isnt providing any pressure and probably shouldnt.  I know many will use the excuse we dont want to show are SPECIAL PLAYS since its Dayton... Thats the popular excuse but the size of the crowd tells me they need to give the fans a reason to come to the game.......  WHERES THE EXCITEMENT?

Bryan and Wheary aren't exactly burners at the WR spot.
Depends on your definition of burner--doubt that too many men on the field can outrun Wheary.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
I know many schemes have changed and many are scene as old.  However, with a noticeable size, speed and athleticism advantage why not have Hess under center and throw slants across the middle to any of the receivers?  It seems as though the plays are so slow to develop.... Dayton isnt providing any pressure and probably shouldnt.  I know many will use the excuse we dont want to show are SPECIAL PLAYS since its Dayton... Thats the popular excuse but the size of the crowd tells me they need to give the fans a reason to come to the game.......  WHERES THE EXCITEMENT?

Bryan and Wheary aren't exactly burners at the WR spot.
Depends on your definition of burner--doubt that too many men on the field can outrun Wheary.

Wheary was timed at 4.63 in the spring, i dont know anybody who would consider that burner for a WR