Author Topic: Dayton Game  (Read 58903 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Dayton Game
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »
Hess was bad. He never had it tonight. Bellamy looked very good. That was the big time D1 recruit we expected to see 3 years ago. Glad he is finally healthy.

Defense was the story of the night. They were pretty darn good with great pressure on the Dayton QB,  a couple of interceptions, and a couple of sacks. Rush defense is stout and the pass defense held its own and had numerous pass breakups. When Peterman comes back, it will be better.

At the end of the day we won 28-10 despite having four turnovers. Dayton really only sustained one real long drive all night and that was when they scored the TD. They should win 6-7 games this year.

Eliminate the turnovers and get Hess' head out of his you know what before this Morehead State game.

Not the performance we wanted to see, but numerous weaknesses were exposed in game 1 that can be fixed. Lets see how this staff responds.

I dont care how the front 7 looked, no matter what happened theres absolutley nothing you can get a read on about the front 7 after tonight, Dayton has an OL smaller then some HS teams around North East Ohio.  If they couldn't dominate then we aren't winning 5 games this year.

I believe that Dayton had 10 senior starters on O. I am not sure how many years they have all played together but a lot of experience none the less.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:48:52 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »
Hess was bad. He never had it tonight. Bellamy looked very good. That was the big time D1 recruit we expected to see 3 years ago. Glad he is finally healthy.

Defense was the story of the night. They were pretty darn good with great pressure on the Dayton QB,  a couple of interceptions, and a couple of sacks. Rush defense is stout and the pass defense held its own and had numerous pass breakups. When Peterman comes back, it will be better.

At the end of the day we won 28-10 despite having four turnovers. Dayton really only sustained one real long drive all night and that was when they scored the TD. They should win 6-7 games this year.

Eliminate the turnovers and get Hess' head out of his you know what before this Morehead State game.

Not the performance we wanted to see, but numerous weaknesses were exposed in game 1 that can be fixed. Lets see how this staff responds.

I dont care how the front 7 looked, no matter what happened theres absolutley nothing you can get a read on about the front 7 after tonight, Dayton has an OL smaller then some HS teams around North East Ohio.  If they couldn't dominate then we aren't winning 5 games this year.

I believe that Dayton had 10 senior starters on O. I am not sure how many years they have all played together but a lot of experience non the less.

experiance doesn't make up for lack of size/talent, not one bit.  the LT was what 250? all 4 of our starting DL are at least that size.

Offline Football_Fan9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2013, 11:56:22 PM »
I know that Dayton is notorious for not updating the player's weights from their freshman year.  The o line and d line looks more like this:

O-Line : 290 - 300 - 275 - 275 - 285

D-Line : 240 - 275 - 270 - 235

Still smaller than YSU, but not as bad as the UD roster makes it seem.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »
Hess. Aka Mr. Overrated. Horrible was an understatement tonight. Bellamy was a beast!!! That's what everybody thought he would be when he came here 2 years ago. Just a sloppy game. Need to regroup

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
And I was impressed with the defense. Especially the D-Line and LB's. Travis Williams was all over the place, Teven too. I know it was just Dayton, but they dominated. Anybody know the injury on Teven? Saw he had ice wrapped around his foot on the sidelines.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:55 AM »
I know that Dayton is notorious for not updating the player's weights from their freshman year.  The o line and d line looks more like this:

I doubt it

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
Defense-C. If we play like we did tonight against a Valley team we will get embarrassed.  Sloppy game. Defesnive backs shouldn't have allowed a single pass receptiion.  Dayton converted 3rd downs they had no business converting.  For me the defense is still not fixed. We didn't get pressure unless we blitzed. The only good thing is that the LB's made a lot of tackles.  They would have gotten an F if it were against better competition we were STILL out of position in coverage on several plays.

Offense -F. Horrible performance by the offense all around. The OL outweighed the DL by ~50 lbs and hess still got sacked he should have had a decade to throw the ball. Hess needs to pull his head out of his azz. He is a senior and we should have expected more out of him-regardless of the level of competition. He was off all night. They should have been able to play the second team QB.  Bellamy did not show me that he is the answer. I thought Pace was the better RB.  Bellamy broke free on a play and looked like he slowed down after he got to the second level-only to get caught.  What I was really suprised at was the fact that we didn't have holes big enought to drive a bus through. We also had too many stupid penalties.   I was not impressed with the play calling or the execution and there were no stand outs to me.

Special Teams-A+  what a drastic improvment. This was the real difference in the game. I thought that the special teams was the most improved unit. Excellent progress compared to last year.

At the end of the day we will not even be in the middle of the pack of the conference if we play like that against more talented teams.

Heacock & Wolford comparison:

Here are my thoughts on this. I do not have any loyalties to coaches (Perhaps only with Tressel) in today's game because the coaches are not loyal to the fans in most cases. I think that you just have to hope you have an excellent coach and you can hold on to him for a while if he is good.

Heacock was not a recruiter, he was a coach. He could do a lot with less. Heacock had some bad seasons in his early years because Tressel took the talented brain trust to Ohio State and left some real bafoons at YSU. I don't blame him for doing that, he needed the brain trust there. Heacock was a defensive coach and he was left with John Klacik.

In 2001 and 2002 YSU had a national championship caliber defense and a grade school offense that was run by the village idiot (Klacik). It took heacock too long to fire Klacik and by the time he did he lost his recruiting advantage.

In 2005 the team was good enough to make noise in the playoffs, but the schedule that the athletic department put together had too many D2 teams and the 8-3 record didn't get YSU into the post season (plus the dirty tramp Patty Viverito got no respect for the Gateway/Valley it took NDSU winning two NC's for the Valley to get respect). YSU was left out of the post season in 2005 and it was bullsh!it.

In 2006 heacock won the connference and made it to the semifinals and really gave App State the best competition they had all year.

In 2007 YSU was snubbed from the playoofs again and the w**** (Patty Viverito) couldn't even influence the committee (and I think Strollo was on the selection committee that year) and only 2 valley teams made the playoff that year. I think the CAA got 5 teams.

Heacock made less than half of what Wolford makes and Heacock had little money to offer his assistant coaches (loose change to give the stripper viverito).  There was a smaller recruiting budget, there was no indoor practice facility and there was no updated lockeroom, but most importantly there was no money to get good assistant coaches.

There is a huge difference in resources provided to Heacock  Vs Wolford.   Regardless, neither has gotten the job done, but I think Heacock is a better coach and Wolford is a better recruiter.

Heacock is one of the finest DC's in college football. The entire family has excellent defensive minds. Heacock knew what it took to win a National Championship (so does Mangino) because he was a part of the the decade of excellence. Wolford brings us no such knowledge. His focus on offense is typical of a big 12 school like Kansas State.

Wolford is learning but still does not fully understand that defense wins championships. To me Wolford has the keys to a shiny new race car, but he doesn't understand how to drive a stick shift yet and there is going to be more gear grinding before he is fully competent. Hopefully Mangino can serve as the instructor in the passangers seat. We still have a long way to go, but last night was a step backward. There are no more tractors here so we should be favored to win the Indianapolis 500 right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:38:34 AM by penguinpower »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »

I doubt it
There was no way in hell Dayton's #56 was 240. He was at least 280-285 on that OL. You come here and complain all game long, leading me to believe you weren't even there in person. I was there in person and their OL was bigger than what their website says... End of story.

Disagree with your assessment on our defense penguin power. That defense will shut down most rushing attacks on our schedule. With Peterman returning in a few weeks, the pass defense will improve.

Again... We won by 18 with 4 turnovers. I predicted a 21 point win and we came close to it. You guys expecting a 40 point stomping had no regard for our opponent. This is the offense we saw in the final 3 games of last season with a much improved defense.

Nonetheless, the results around the MVFC as a whole last night were ugly. ILSU and INSU got pounded by relatively weak FBS schools. MSU lost to Northwestern State? WIU had a big win over Hampton.

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
Let's not all panic yet.   Yes our passing game looked bad but the special teams much improved.  Defense pass coverage still an issue.  Dayton is better than we think and they had a lot of seniors and will probabply win 8 games.   The most improvement is between game 1 and game 2.  Morehead State lost to Pikeville(ky) 13-10 last night so this may be a much easier game than anticipated.   We need to get our backups some live experience especially the quaterbacks.  If we struggle against Morehead then we all need to panic.

Really disappointed in the turnout at the game.  Only 12,000.   

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
It seems that Hess developed PTSD during that pic 6 at the NDSU beating last year, and hasn't been the same since.  I recall being amazed at his performance at Penn State in his and Wolford's first game, as well in the win at Pitt.  Last night was bad.  Overthrown passes when there was time in the pocket.  Botched snap.  Pics.  I do think it is time to groom somebody for next season and give them playing time. 

Strollo again during an interview restated that playoffs are the expectation here, despite one playoff season since he has become AD.  Really just a slogan anymore.  It occurred to me last night that YSU is no where close to a playoff caliber team, and likely wont be in the next upcoming seasons.  Last year at this time we beat Pitt, and a year later we struggle with a PFL team.  Seems highly improbable we'll have a winning record in the MVFC, and maybe not even for the season as a whole. The team has regressed rather than improve.  Strollo hired Heacock, and Wolford and is ultimately accountable.  Yes we have new facilities. Is there a campus that isn't renovating and adding new buildings?  The WATTS is due to Tressel more than Strollo.

As far as Heacock versus Wolford, Heacock was not in the playoffs at this point yet either, and got clobbered by BCS teams, where Wolf has beaten one. Wolf beat UNI, Heacock...no.  Heacock inherited a championship caliber team, and only had to maintain it.  Wolford inherited a mess, and was asked to rebuild it.  Big difference.  Strollo never should've renewed Heacock's contract, and should not renew Wolford's either, unless there is a playoff invite this year (doubtful).

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
Gotta disagree with you on the defense. They looked fast and physical. If it wasn't for Dayton's QB being so shifty, we woulda had 10 sacks!! That dude kept escaping. Pass defense was a little shaky but you could tell they were just playing vanilla zone. Don't wanna show too much. Plus we have 2 brand new starters in the secondary. A RS Freshman and a transfer who's been on the team for 2 and 1/2 weeks..... I also disagree with you on Bellamy. He looks like he lost weight. He carried (literally) the team on his back because Hess sucks. Pace looked ok. He's just so big, he just runs people over. Bellamy is still big and has some speed and shifty moves. He and Hymes will make a good 1-2 punch

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
Let's not all panic yet.   Yes our passing game looked bad but the special teams much improved.  Defense pass coverage still an issue.  Dayton is better than we think and they had a lot of seniors and will probabply win 8 games.   The most improvement is between game 1 and game 2.  Morehead State lost to Pikeville(ky) 13-10 last night so this may be a much easier game than anticipated.   We need to get our backups some live experience especially the quaterbacks.  If we struggle against Morehead then we all need to panic.

Really disappointed in the turnout at the game.  Only 12,000.
[/b]

11,500 of which were sitting on their hands, knitting, nodding off, sipping on metamucil, or calling security because 3 kids in front of them stood up when YSU scored.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
I am not writing off Hess like some.

This kid has been great for 3 years and now he is done?   YSU fans are like Browns fans without the noise.  "He stinks" and "Hess sucks"  should never show up on my computer screen.

Here is  the problem as I see it...................OL and DL

Think about it    We lost everybody but Elkins from what was arguably the best OL here in a long time----the replacements either haven't reached the level of improvement they needed or they shouldn't be here in the first place.

DL---My memory fails a bit but didn't we lose everyone there too?  Again  we try to fix the DL with JUCOs every couple years.  I hate that route, while realizing that any stud DL in high school ain't coming to YSU.

In both areas it is tough to win when you are starting guys that have the talent level of back-ups.  Whether that is poor evaluation when recruiting, poor progression of improvement, or whatever   I don't know.  But those are the problem areas as I see them.

BTW  Chris Sammarone did a great job on the radio last night.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
I talked with several people who claimed that the ticket office told them the game was sold out and also the website.  Friends of mine didn't make it until late in the 2nd quarter because they were told byYSU there were no tickets available.  Not sure where the information breakdown occurred.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
I talked with several people who claimed that the ticket office told them the game was sold out and also the website.  Friends of mine didn't make it until late in the 2nd quarter because they were told byYSU there were no tickets available.  Not sure where the information breakdown occurred.

They must work in the Union.