Author Topic: Wolford is on the clock!!!  (Read 5160 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Wolford is on the clock!!!
« on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
 Does making the playoffs get him another contract.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolford is on the clock!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
Interesting situation.  Coach Wolford is in the 4th year of a 5 year contract.  With the expected talent of this team, a sub-par season would leave a lot of questions for the future.  A trip deep into the playoffs and that may be his ticket to bigger and better coaching positions.  The mega-conferences and their financial position may make it hard for IAA schools to keep or obtain top coaches.

That said, "Go Guins" bring home another National Championship!

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
Wolf will Coach the full 5 years...and probably move on to Coach on the 1A level after that...

I can see YSU making the playoffs the next 2 years...and making a deep run...hard to believe they have not got in the past 3 years....play here....play there... and they get in...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
Guys, what do you see in Wolford that makes you confident that he will get the job done here and then advance to the big time?  I look at our football team and see a bad defense and terrible special teams.  I hope that I am wrong, and I certainly will be in my seat for each game, but I just do not see it.  Convince me please.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
Wick
Won't argue with your observations.  I just don't see how a school with an athletic budget of YSU's can keep decent coaches.  I admit I don't know how the athletic department runs, but with the loss of the big money games, the only way I see to increase revenue is to improve marketing and fill the stands.  If the Penguins make a deep playoff run, can they afford what may be asked in a new contract?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
Rook:

Great topic in itself. I think you need to look at coaches like Heacock, and now Montgomery, for long-term benefits. Coach Shane has been there and had success; he really can see the benefit of a 5-10 year HC job. The problem is that you do not want to lose his offensive genius, to the HC job. However, if Wolf does not make it .. coach M is the man. There is always the possibility that this is more than a pit-stop for Mangino.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »
This is the year

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read in the Vindy sometime ago that Wolford's salary was more than Heacock and all of his coaches combined.
I think there is a striking familiarity with Coach M - re: Detective Frank Cannon ;)

So how are things going in camp?  Any report on D-linemen and depth?
Is there a scrimmage this Saturday and is it open to the public?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:49:50 PM by ScarletRook »