Author Topic: Fairless High QB Hunter Wells (2014) commits to YSU  (Read 77546 times)

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fairless High QB Hunter Wells (2014) commits to YSU
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »
11-20 216 Yards 3 TDs 1 Int

42-60 680 Yards 8 TDs 1 Int on the season
Fairless is 3-0 with a 48-26 win tonight

needs 615 yards

AT Guin that was your best post to date.  You stated facts. 

What can now be debated is the level of competition he faced to get those stats but that was an excellent post.

LOL Uh oh guys, we got an internet hardass over here, look out now

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
Fairless won 49-48 to improve to 4-0
Wells entered tonight 5th all time in passing yards but the least amount of TDs but will finish with the most attempts out of the group
tonight he could have moved into the top 3 passing Justin Zwick and Ben McDaniels and right behind Oregon State verbal from last year Kyle Kempt who needed just 48 yards to break the record last year

tonights stats in a bit

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:47:33 AM »
26/55 389 Yards 4 TDs 1 Int

Season (4 Games)
4-0
68-105 Comp/Att
1069 Yards
12 TDs 2 Ints

Barring Injury he will break the record next week

ValleyTalk

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »
Just a 47% completion percentage! not all that impressive. Will likely see him play Ursuline or Crestview in the D5 Region 15 playoffs.

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
YSU Commit leads Fairless 75 yards in less than minute to bring the game to a 28-28 tie against (3-0 state ranked) Manchester and wins 49-48 in 3 OT's.  27-45  380  4 TD and a rushing touchdown!  All in the presence of YSU OC Montgomery who was on the sidelineslink.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2632456470001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABfnhljCE~,n46aOj75zj-TZ2wLXx_tbwHt-Hq_mplJ&bclid=2632478935001&bctid=2683837140001 …!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
Just a heads up --

The QB situation is truly dark for next  year.  No matter the hype, this kid isn't ready next year for D-I football. I won't be surprised to see them seriously try to recruit a JUCO QB for next year.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
Just a few thoughts I would like to share concerning Hunter Wells from fairless. I have had the opportunity to watch Hunter play on a few different occasions and viewed all film. Y.S.U. fans you are getting more of a B.C.S and F.B.S. recruit then a F.C.S. one!! Two of the reasons he wasn't more heavily recruited was because he was under weight as junior and didn't do his summer camp tour untill this summer. As far as level of competition goes its one of the last things the Y.S.U. coach would look at when evaluating the QB position. If Hunter played at a D-1 school with stiffer competition he would probably put up bigger numbers. It's my understanding all the yards the previous seasons were very hard earned as he did not have the supporting cast he does this one. The coaching staff realizes they got a big time steal with Hunter..The possibility of a larger school coming in and trying to lure him away should be a cause for concern!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
REally ? A steal ? Strange , but I recall the same "quote" being used for current YSU QBs.  Dante Nania from W. Pa. ? A steal. Tanner Garry ( who no one wanted ) a steal.  Nick Wargo from Walsh was a "steal". Recently it was Ricky Davis ( formerly of Cin. Moeller) from  Fenwick who was  a "steal". I almost forgot, the former QB from local Western Reserve was a "steal" (hes no longer on the team).

Love  the hype, but , trust me, NO STEAL.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Hmmm.  Just one week back on the forum and Paladin is already trashing our recruits.  Sad.  Very sad.  We have two evaluations of this young man, one from Shane Montgomery and one from Paladin.  Ok folks, which do you choose?

Footballfever

Do not judge all YSU fans based on the comments of one malcontent.  We are pleased that Hunter Wells has selected our school and stand ready to support him in every way.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Offering an informed  opinion , Wick. You seen him play ?  And we can wait ( as done with the other recruits over the years) to see who works out and who doesn't . What happened to the "other"  "steals" ?  Remember , Wick ?

There will be a JUCO recruit or there will be a new O next year ( and not necessarily a good one).  Take that to the bank.

JMHO

P.S. -- note that Wolf has recruited a QB every year he's been here. And every year there are glowing remarks about how good the player is. The current back-up was switched to safety. Then back to QB. And he was a Wing T QB in H.S. Wargo only played one year in H.S.  Davis transferred from Moeller to play at a small school. The local player from Western Reserve is no longer on the team. Garry wasn't highly recruited either. My advise -- they are in trouble next year at QB or they will have to change the O, become one dimensional and run the ball.   Wells is skinny & weak..Needs a serious weight program. Arm is questionable strength. Accuracy is suspect. Competition was weak. And thus, no one who looked at him was impressed, so recruiting wise, YSU made an offer and Wells accepted. Thus, he's a "steal" .

Again, JMHO.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:10:18 PM by paladin »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
Just a few thoughts I would like to share concerning Hunter Wells from fairless. I have had the opportunity to watch Hunter play on a few different occasions and viewed all film. Y.S.U. fans you are getting more of a B.C.S and F.B.S. recruit then a F.C.S. one!! Two of the reasons he wasn't more heavily recruited was because he was under weight as junior and didn't do his summer camp tour untill this summer. As far as level of competition goes its one of the last things the Y.S.U. coach would look at when evaluating the QB position. If Hunter played at a D-1 school with stiffer competition he would probably put up bigger numbers. It's my understanding all the yards the previous seasons were very hard earned as he did not have the supporting cast he does this one. The coaching staff realizes they got a big time steal with Hunter..The possibility of a larger school coming in and trying to lure him away should be a cause for concern!!

Kurt Hess was sought after by either Cinci or Louisville ...or maybe both. I know the previous YSU staff recruited him as well. Eventually his offer never materialized (or was lost) at the FBS-level he wanted ...and we ended up with a great pick-up.

Again this kid in in HS, so I really have little interest at this point; but the two biggest elements in recruiting at the FCS-level are timing and luck.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
High praise in today's Youngstown Vindicator. Sounds like he is better than I give him credit for.

Getting lucky: ScoutingOhio.com founder Mark Porter said YSU “pretty much lucked out” with its verbal commitment from Navarre Fairless senior QB Hunter Wells. “I went to a bunch of camps this summer and he was by far the best quarterback at each camp,” Porter said. “There were MAC [Mid-American Conference] schools that wanted him but they had already all signed a quarterback this class.” Wells (6-5, 185) needs just 116 yards to break Stark County’s career passing record of 6,081 yards, set by Alliance’s Charles Babb (2003-06). “YSU got Hunter into [its] camp and when I say he lit it up, I mean a perfect spiral, very accurate,” Porter said. “Maybe the only knock is he’s not a dynamic athlete but he’s a pretty good athlete.” Porter said Wells also scores well with intangibles like intelligence and leadership. “You want your quarterback to be the face of your franchise and Hunter Wells is certainly a guy that deserves that recognition,” he said.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
I'll stand by my evaluation and if he comes, we'll return to this subject. Just by his comments, Porter promotes his site ( Wells was one of his clients). Fairless will also probably match up with an area team in the playoffs. You'll be able to see his arm strength and accuracy in person. In fact, there is film on him at Scout Ohio. Watch it.  Don't know what Porter is drinking but I want some.  8)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
Aside from holding their own football camps coach Wolford and staff attend various satellite camps throughout the Midwest in search of the best possible players to help them challenge for a M.V.C. championship year in and year out. Does anyone find it funny that Paladin likes to question their decisions other then me?? Some of his other posts criticize various positions on the Y.S.U. football team as well. This certainly does nothing to boost the moral of the players. There is a lot of luck recruiting at the D-1AA level. To get a commitment from a 3 star athlete with multiple D-1A offers is highly unlikely. I played on the defensive side of the ball in the MAC and have had the opportunity to coach against Hunter Wells on more then one occasion. Believe me his arm strength and accuracy will not be an issue at Y.S.U.- Hands down he has one of the strongest arms ohio has to offer. I will agree with Paladin on the weight training, he will need to put on at least 20 pounds or more then likely he will be redshirted next season. Its my understanding he performed very well at the Indiana and pitt camps and received M.V.P. at each one. If timing was on his side we wouldn't even be having this discussion!! Mark Porter comments in the Youngstown Vindicator were dead on-one of his clients and trying to promote his site FUNNY!! I wonder if Paladin was watching his highlights from his sophomore season on scouting ohio?? I wonder if he bothered watching his hudl video from his junior season or if he has seen him throw this year before his evaluation!! This will be my last post concerning Hunter Wells. If Hunter does attend Y.S.U and once he takes the field I will be more then happy to carry out this conversation at stambaugh with anyone including Paladin!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
Fever, it is not that we doubt what you are saying ...we just cannot afford to care. We have a team with serious problems that a possible 2015 starter is not going to fix by next Saturday. Wells is a conversation for a high-school forum. Wells is future conversation for this board.